Opinion - A clean desk

Options
Amandac6772
Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
Ok there is a running controversy here at work...some feel that if you keep your desk neat and tidy that you don't have enough to do...others feel that it's a sign of professionalism and organization to keep your office neat. I'm a little OCD about mine...it has stuff I'm working on during the day but I clean it up before I go home. So what is your opinion...it's a non-issue that is really becoming an issue witha few people?

Replies

• jeorwa
    jeorwa Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I clean mine once a week, or once every other week or so.....but in 10 minutes it's not clean. I think it's personal preference/personality!
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    I can't work in a messy space. I can't focus. So I need to keep it tidy and organized.
  • Cupcake1ady
    Options
    I can't actually see my desk! :-)
  • jtreadwell
    jtreadwell Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    For me I need a clean and organized work area or else I feel overwhelmed and distracted. It seems easier for me to concentrate and focus on the task at hand if my area is neat. :smile:
  • chickadee2010
    chickadee2010 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    For me I need a clean and organized work area or else I feel overwhelmed and distracted. It seems easier for me to concentrate and focus on the task at hand if my area is neat. :smile:

I agree. I get distracted too easily...
  • fthomasdesign
    Options
    I also cannot see my desk at the moment! Sometimes it gets to be too much though and I will clean it. Usually once a week.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    organization keeps my mind clutter free..I'm with you on the have it nice and orderly so when you head back into work you have a place to work and can start your day out with out the confusion of 'stuff' all over. :laugh:
  • mommacool
    mommacool Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    The company my husband worked at mandated that they have a clean desk... only what they were working on could be on the desk. They are a very successful international corporation. Everything else had to be shelved or filed. They could get in trouble for a messy desk or cubicle.

I agree that having a neat workspace is a help. There is nothing wrong with having everything in its place. Anyone who is a slob and disagrees, disagrees because they are defending their sloppy ways.
  • ant210
    ant210 Posts: 19
    Options
    I must have OCD too. I come in every morning and lysol wipe my phone, keyboard and mouse. You never know if the IT guys used your computer or installed any updates. Everyone is sick lately too. I wipe my desk every am and I organize(tidy up) every evening. I am just an anal neat freak. Work is the worse.....think about it....you sit at your desk almost 8-10 hours a day. No reason not to clean it.
  • Amandac6772
    Options
    Thanks guys...I hate having to defend my work style but these people around here can just be crazy at times. Of course they are the same ones who can't manage their time very well also. To each their own I say!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Isn't it funny, what busy bodied people can make a big deal about? lol

here are my thoughts

When my desk is a mess, I work less because I feel overwhelmed. When it is clean I feel organized so it makes it easier to tackle my projects. When your space is clean, it also makes it less of a temptation for people to come in and think about stealing (don't know if that is an issue in your work environment). If you are keeping up on your work, and doing it effeciently, and on time, then what does it matter whether your place is a mess...

Question.. these people who are making a big deal about clean desks, are their desks always messy? do you feel like you are a more effecient worker over them? if so, I would say that they feel like you are doing a better job than them, and the only thing they can think to get back at you is that your desk is clean so you should be doing more work!
  • Amandac6772
    Options

here are my thoughts

When my desk is a mess, I work less because I feel overwhelmed. When it is clean I feel organized so it makes it easier to tackle my projects. When your space is clean, it also makes it less of a temptation for people to come in and think about stealing (don't know if that is an issue in your work environment). If you are keeping up on your work, and doing it effeciently, and on time, then what does it matter whether your place is a mess...

Question.. these people who are making a big deal about clean desks, are their desks always messy? do you feel like you are a more effecient worker over them? if so, I would say that they feel like you are doing a better job than them, and the only thing they can think to get back at you is that your desk is clean so you should be doing more work!

I have always been an efficient worker (from years of working production in a factory). I'm always looking for ways to make things work better, go faster and be more effective. This and having the appropriate education has led me to be promoted over some that have hard feelings (the main culprit in the "issue").
  • JennBennett410
    Options
    By the end of the school day my desk is a mess, but I always make sure that I organize it after school is out for the next day!
  • JaneZv
    JaneZv Posts: 200
    Options
    I don't understand why but a clean and organized work area bothers me, lol. Crazy, i know. I just need to mess it up before I can work / study.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Very organized in all aspects of my life.

Can't run an office or a kitchen if you are not.
  • Amandac6772
    Options
    Very organized in all aspects of my life.

Can't run an office or a kitchen if you are not.

Before I had my son I was very obssessive about the kitchen...everything in the pantry had to be turned a certain way and alphabetized....still organized but don't have the time to do it like I would like.
  • TammyBee
    TammyBee Posts: 178
    Options
    I can't work on a messy desk. When i am done with something i clean up mess and move on to next.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options

here are my thoughts

I have always been an efficient worker (from years of working production in a factory). I'm always looking for ways to make things work better, go faster and be more effective. This and having the appropriate education has led me to be promoted over some that have hard feelings (the main culprit in the "issue").

I say just to give them the finger and call it good! (figuratively speaking) lol if you are effecient and hard working, let them sit back and suffer! they deserve to feel less than wonderful if they choose to work less, and give you a hard time. Enjoy the fact that people are jealous of you! you are so much the better person because of it! :)