First day at the gym

Options
So i finally got brave and went to the gym for my first day. I did 15 minutes at 4.0 speed on the treadmill, 10 minutes on the exercise bike machine. Then did leg presses inside and outside at 2 reps of 20. The last thing i did was arm presses, one pushing out away from the body and one sort of pulling down, again 2 reps of 15 but i couldnt finish the pushing out one and the second set i think i managed 8. That was all i did. Not a lot really but omg my arms ache so much and when i raise my right arm it feels like a dead weight and it shakes badly. Why is it doing this, am a little worried. I havent used a gym before so i really need some advice. Thank you

Replies

• Reprocess
    Reprocess Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Congratulation on your first day in the gym!

Muscle pain that shows up a day or two after exercising can affect anyone, regardless of your fitness level.

But don’t be put off. This type of muscle stiffness or achiness is normal, doesn’t last long, and is actually a sign of your improving fitness.

Do consider the muscle pain a sign of you worked out and did well.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    A lot of gyms, when it's your first time, will introduce you to how to use the machines and keep track of your workouts. You could also talk to them about the soreness - It's hard for us to tell if it is normal muscle soreness from a workout or if it is an injury. Maybe inquire about whether your can get a free introductory session.

Congratulations on going to the gym for the first time! I'm sure many successful workouts await you. :flowerforyou:
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Whatever body part I work out, by the end that muscle is shaking. Means you've worked it hard!! As long as you're not in pain, you're fine. Drink lots of water, and being sore tomorrow is totally normal.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first day. I know nothing about your experience I just wanted to say good for you for being brave.

Cheers, Cindy
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Welcome to DOMS. Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. It's normal, and should go away in a few days. Sometimes the second day is the worst, but don't let soreness keep you from exercising, as more exercise will actually help. As long as it's just soreness and not pain, work through it. As your body gets used to the exercise, the soreness will go away, or at least be less uncomfortable. Also, make sure you don't strength train the same muscles two days in a row, as they will need the rest and recovery to repair.
  • krissa3670
    krissa3670 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, as you know my first day was Friday, today is Monday and i now have full movement in both arms again and just a little achy at the top of my arms at the front. Saturday i couldnt even raise my right arm outwards and yesterday i could raise it but not twist it so for today just to be a little achy am well happy. I am really looking forward to going back but still going to give it a couple of days and then hit it again, i have upped my water intake and i have bought in some protein bars so that when i get home i can have one of them. Am so thankfull for your support and words of advice.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Don't wait or you'll just get DOMS again as bad as the first time. Repeating the workout actually helps as it allows blood to flush the affected muscles.
  • justisroyster
    justisroyster Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If you try to wait and recover, you will never recover. Just like the previous poster said. Your body has to adjust to the impact. Soon you will no longer feel as sore. Waiting gets you no results.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Totally normal.