new scale -- I have been deceived!

Options
my trusty scale broke and I had to buy a new one. I like my new one...it does everything! However, when I jumped on her today, the weight difference was huge. There is a 5 pound difference. According to this scale, I am 5 pounds heavier than the other. that is HUGE when you are trying to shed pounds.

Now, I am trying to determine the best way to move forward in my calculations.

Replies

• KaylatheChristian
    Options
    Mine did the same thing to me...I went from a non-digital to a digital and I was so annoyed when the digital one showed 5 pounds more than the other one....Kinda stinks.
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    I'm for starting fresh. It feels good to me. Keep counting the weight you've lost and judge your progress based on how you feel!
  • bekdavis
    bekdavis Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    so, did you change your calculations (on this site) to reflect your new scale?
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Step 1: cry

Step 2: reconfigure everything to the "new" weight.

Step 3: Cuss. A lot.

Step 4: Cry some more

Step 5: work it out, and move on.
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    that sucks! i'd return the damn thing for one i like the numbers better on ;)
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    I know I bought a new one too and I gained 10 pounds! It was awful. However, I just adjusted my starting number and my current number. So it still show I lost the same amount, I just have an extra 10 pounds to lose to reach my goal!
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    double post!
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i would just adjust your current weight to this scale and move forward, dont go back to your start weight because you just dont know, maybe you gained some water this weekend and it isnt ALL the new scale...
    it doesnt matter in the end cause you are where you are because of what you have been doing...keep doing the right things and that 5lbs might be gone in a week or two or more if you really step it up a notch....
  • louisee294
    louisee294 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Yep, scales can be wrong, but your body is still the same size :-)
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I think home scales are pretty notoriously inaccurate. However, they certainly can be useful in showing the directional nature of your improvement. One thing you can do is take your scale with you to your doctor's office or to another scale that you trust. Most home scales have a small dial that allows you to calibrate the scale a bit. You might be able to re-set it to be more accurate.

--Carter
  • nkteach
    nkteach Posts: 41
    Options
    Same here! My husband has a digital and mine is non digital. His is exactlg 5 lbs heavier. But when I was prego his also matched my dr. office scale!!! Ahhh! So, for a more accurate number I go off my husbands, although jumping on mine just to see a lower number makes me feel good ;)
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Assuming you were weighing on the same scale the whole time, it doesn't take away what you have done so far!!! But part of this whole process is "getting real" with ourselves. Since that is the scale you are now using, you should adjust your weight to reflect what it says. You might not like it, but if it's new, it's probably a bit more accurate. I know mine matches right up with the scale @ the Dr.'s office.

We had 2 scales in the house and I definitely liked one better than the other since it tended to weigh a couple of pounds lighter:-) Had to replace the "light" scale and now they both say pretty much the same thing.

• Lakeside54321
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it too much... you of course know that always dropping is what is important. If you will go back and adjust your original starting weight as if you had been using these scales from the beginning, that would be the easiest thing to do... BUT I'd go get a second opinion from another set of scales that you know are accurate, and compare them with the set you now have! I hope this helps Good Perseverance! <
    I'm going to say that instead of good luck.... because you know this isn't luck LOL Have a great day!
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    If it were me, and this is just me, I would go through and add five to all my weigh ins or at least the first one. That way my loss recording would be on. I don't want those two numbers dueling in my head. It says this but really its this blahblahblah...
  • 24man
    24man Posts: 58
    Options
    It's just a number. What's important is what you lost not what the number is. Just suck it up and use the new scale and forget the old numbers. But I think I'd at least make a note to show you didn't gain 5 lbs. Move forward
    >
  • IronSheff
    IronSheff Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The digital can show different read-outs from one second to the next depending on what kind you have. Mine will show up to a 1 lb difference when I step on it. For instance, I might be 215.2 (which I am not, for the record) after a couple of immediate attempts at stepping on it and then on the third successive attempt it might jump to 216.4. I always step on/off it and record my weight 3 or 4 times and then use the highest figure. I'm sure you've done it already, but try weighing yourself a few times in a row and see if the weight changes.
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Step 1: cry

Step 2: reconfigure everything to the "new" weight.

Step 3: Cuss. A lot.

Step 4: Cry some more

Step 5: work it out, and move on.

Been there. Done that. TOTALLY AGREE!!!!
  • Lakeside54321
    Options
    LOL I like that response!
  • pkd1
    pkd1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Put a 5ib weight on this new scale and if its off you will know, then adjust it to that lb difference
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    It’s like the body fat calculators. Since being submerged in water is the most accurate but not usually accessible unless you are a professional athlete the hand-held ones doctors use are 4% less than the one's you buy in the store and step on like a scale. I therefore like the doctor-used ones especially since they warn you that you can’t be pregnant to use it due to the electrode while the standing one doesn't have that warning (therefore hand held must be more accurate/powerful right?) I researched a bit later and found the reason for the difference in percentage is b/c the electrode has to go through more fat first through your feet than the hand-held one that goes to your organs and major muscles (but not largest) first.

Does that make the arm-one more accurate, not sure.