Flabby 50 yr old diving in

I already dove in with a question about health clubs, so I should probably introduce myself. I found this forum when I was searching for information on clubs and just love all the other information and opportunities for support.

I'm a 50 year old married woman just starting a brand-new job and also moving to a new house within a month or two, depending on how fast the builder moves. The stress of the upcoming move (emotional eating!) and a sedentary job caused me to put on weight over the past couple of years, and the new job will be even more sedentary. Luckily, it's work from home with somewhat flexible hours, and the insurance company reimburses part of a health club membership, so I have no excuses now. I'd like to shed 35 to 40 pounds by eating better (which I know how to do but totally neglect) and getting back into an regular exercise routine. So here I am, and very happy to be here. It looks like there's a great cross section of others here, so I'm hoping that will inspire me and keep me on track.

I've already started my better food choices, and hopefully I'll have my insurance information so I can sign up at a gym next week. Meanwhile, the dog will force me to exercise at least a bit.

Replies

• thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    You can do this!!!
  • starting again after being bad for a year. my sugar level has gone back to where it was and i need to stick with it this time and i plan on doing so
  • FitFLNana
    FitFLNana Posts: 11 Member
    Sounds like you are at the right place - this is a great tool, and joining a gym is a great step in the right direction! Keep trying different things until you find what you enjoy - then stick with it! Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like.
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member
    Hi there, I'm 52 years old, maintaining my weight and trying to get back into some resistance training (which I have neglected in the last three months). Struggling with eating healthier. It is hard but doable if you are always on your toes. Good luck :)
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    I am 58. I have been here almost a month. Welcome! There is lots of support here.
    Add me as a friend if you'd like, include a short message please.

In the message boards in the getting started section are some very good threads with info that is referenced all the time. One is Guide to getting started on your path to sexypants . This helped me a lot. Check it out!

Good luck...:smile:
  • eandbmom
    eandbmom Posts: 51 Member
    I'm a 50 year-old married woman. I've been on this site for about a year, but I've lost focus over the past several months. I'm trying to get refocused and will provide support and encouragment. Add me as a friend if you'd like.
  • MyTurn2BHappy
    MyTurn2BHappy Posts: 475 Member
    Feel free to add me! We can do this together!
  • IamMCM
    IamMCM Posts: 122
    Thanks for the welcome and great advice! I was kicking around which fitness club to join (posted about that on my very first thread), and I finally narrowed it down and went to join today, but didn't bring the insurance info I needed to get my discount. Oops! I'll head back over tomorrow, as I have to visit at least 28 times by the end of the year for insurance reimbursement. Money is always a good incentive for me. They have a pool and yoga classes, so I'll combine that with my favorite workout DVDs at home and may even C25K if I get really, really ambitious.

I love that there are so many people here around my age and also all over the age spectrum and at all different fitness and weight levels. It feels like a really comfortable place so far. Coming here to check in is going to be one of my daily touchstones.