PCOS/ insulin resistance

Options
I have pcos and insulin resistance and have struggled with my weight for years. It took years to be able to have kids and once I did now I can't get rid of the extra weight. I am trying to follow the insulin resistance diet. Has anyone else had any luck following this diet or what has been helpful? This change is not just for me but my whole family my husband has diabetes also out of control and already had open heart surgery at the age of 36. I want us to be here to see our kids grow up and I want them to be healthy unlike us.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    That diet teaches you to eat protein with carbs. That is not helpful at all. Go on a low carb / low sugar food plan. There is diabetes in my family and I can tell you that the family members who cut out carbs are doing very well. This is what they eat: meat and fish, dairy, eggs, nuts, one or two fruits a day, and vegetables like these:
    Endive
    Bok Choy
    Broccoli Raab
    Celery
    Arugula
    Asparagus
    Chard
    Chayote
    Eggplant
    Hearts of Palm
    Jicama
    Lettuce
    Radishes
    Spinach
    Bell Peppers, Green
    Cabbage, Green & Savoy
    Cauliflower
    Cucumber
    Daikon
    Kohlrabi
    Mushrooms, Button
    Pumpkin Puree (1 cup)
    Rhubarb
    Summer Squash
    Zucchini
    Avocado, California (1 cup)
    Fennel
    Green Beans
    Mushrooms, Crimini & Oyster
    Okra
    Radicchio
    Tomatoes
    Avocado, Florida (1 cup)
    Bell Peppers, Red
    Broccoli
    Edamame (1/2 cup)
    Mushrooms, Enoki
    Turnips
    Artichoke (1 choke)
    Bell Peppers, Yellow
    Brussels Sprouts
    Cabbage, Red
    Snow Peas
    Sugar Snap Peas
    Pumpkin
    Rutabagas
    Avocados
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    LCHF (Low Carb, High Fat, moderate protein) works very well for many people with PCOS/insulin resistance/Diabetes.

You can find some groups on here, and can connect with others that are succeeding with this plan.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/411-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group-

Here is a thread with some good info and contacts-

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1343414-lchf?hl=lchf#posts-20612334
  • momof2boys1014
    Options
    Thanks yall
  • TIUClare
    TIUClare Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I also have insulin-resistant PCOS, so this is really useful - thanks to everyone who's posted!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Yes. Fat is good.
    Good luck and do well.

There are good plans out there but you have to look.
    Some of the plans I see people talking about here at MFP worry me.
  • Peacockbutterfly
    Peacockbutterfly Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and insulin resistance and have had amazing success sticking with protein as well as fat being about 35% of my calories and carbs being around 30% of my calories. I stayed away from any simple carbs for awhile. I have been at this for only a little over 5 months and have lost 60lbs just by being reasonable. I find that exercise is key for me. I also take a few supplements like apple cider vinegar and cinnamon to help with my blood sugar. I still let myself have occasional carbs, for instance my lunch the other day was a delicious slice of pizza and I still lost weight. I still eat daily plenty of fruits and veggies and they give me energy throughout the day. Feel free to add me as a friend. I have an open diary for my friends and am always willing to help!!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    You need to experiment and see what works for you. Try that diet, it may actually work. If it doesn't, try low carb. Be more active, especially weight and resistance training.

Low carb did not work for me personally, it had the opposite effect. My now within normal range blood sugar (which used to be almost in the diabetic range) goes whacky and actually becomes too high when I don't eat enough carbs. After trying many things I discovered a "sweet spot" where my sugar is stable and in the normal range. It happens to be in the 150-200 carb range.

Don't give up. The more things you try the more you learn about your body.
  • marriedwith
    marriedwith Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I follow the insulin resistance diet. I found it very easy to incorporate into real life. I lost weight gradually, but steadily and lost about 30 lbs in 6 months. When I went off of it, and no I don't know why I did, I gained weight back. Now I am doing the diet again, and again, feel much better, more in control. For me, I like the IR diet because there were really no forbidden foods. If I wanted a piece of chocolate I could have some protein and then the chocolate, but then nothing for at least 2 hours. When I look at my weight loss curve for that time, it was awesome, steady steady steady down. I even got to my lowest weight in 5 years. Good luck. Mary