Struggling with weight loss. HELP!

I was a big cardio queen when I started at 190. I got obsessed and dropped down to 140 in 6 months. I then got diagnosed with arthritis, so my workout regimen drastically changed and I gained 20 lbs back. I've plateaued at 160 for a while now and can't seem to budge. I've ranged from 1400 down to 600 calories. Even at 600 calories, I have a hard time losing.... and at 1400 I rarely even saw a loss. It was usually gains. Any suggestions ??

Replies

• Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    I was a big cardio queen when I started at 190. I got obsessed and dropped down to 140 in 6 months. I then got diagnosed with arthritis, so my workout regimen drastically changed and I gained 20 lbs back. I've plateaued at 160 for a while now and can't seem to budge. I've ranged from 1400 down to 600 calories. Even at 600 calories, I have a hard time losing.... and at 1400 I rarely even saw a loss. It was usually gains. Any suggestions ??

If you're not losing, then you are consuming more calories than you believe you are. Especially if you are seeing "gains".
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Why can't you exercise with arthritis? I have severe arthritis in my hip and my doctor strongly encouraged me to exercise. I do cardio on the elliptical and the treadmill. I also started weight lifting which has totally changed my life and reshaped my body.
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Are you weighing your food and accurately logging everything?

How about swimming?
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    If you were not losing at 1400 calories then it is likely that you were either:

a) underestimating your food intake

or

b) over estimating exercise calorie burns

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

Rather than frequently changing your calorie goal, set your calories correctly for you. Stick to your goal consistently to see results: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

And read this for more detailed guidance: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • AmandaMaitland
    AmandaMaitland Posts: 136 Member
    Why can't you exercise with arthritis? I have severe arthritis in my hip and my doctor strongly encouraged me to exercise. I do cardio on the elliptical and the treadmill. I also started weight lifting which has totally changed my life and reshaped my body.

I can exercise! They just cut out my regular routine which was jogging/plyometric workouts. I walk, swim, and do the elliptical 5 days a week (try to). I also suffer from severe fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis as well. :sad:
  • AmandaMaitland
    If you were not losing at 1400 calories then it is likely that you were either:

a) underestimating your food intake

or

b) over estimating exercise calorie burns

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

Rather than frequently changing your calorie goal, set your calories correctly for you. Stick to your goal consistently to see results: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

And read this for more detailed guidance: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

I weigh and measure my food! As far as working out I usually try to under estimate my calories. For example, the elliptical's calorie burn that it gives me.. I usually subtract at least 100-150 from what it gives. A family member mentioned a possible thyroid issue? Is that a possibility? I can gain really easy, but losing is a different story. When I originally lost 50 lbs, I did it on 800-1200 calories. I plateaued at 140 (a goal of 130) for almost a whole year. That's when I upped to 1400 for a few weeks.. then lowered again.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    If you have a hard time losing weight at "600" calories a day, you are grossly underestimating what you eat, grossly overestimating your exercise calories, or you need to talk to a doctor about your metabolic issues.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Are you willing to open your diary?

One other thought - have you started new medication in this time as well? Is that possibly a factor?
  • AmandaMaitland
    I have it opened! As far as medication, I'm only on bc. Even on that note, that's caused me to only have one menstrual cycle in the last 5 months.
  • AmandaMaitland
    If you have a hard time losing weight at "600" calories a day, you are grossly underestimating what you eat, grossly overestimating your exercise calories, or you need to talk to a doctor about your metabolic issues.

I measure and weigh everything. I'm totally a stickler on that, and it gets on my husbands nerves :tongue:
  • Hottehu
    Hottehu Posts: 2
    600kcal a day is like nothing. I think 1400 is also very low. Your body needs more to survive. If you want to lose weight and keep it off eating more is better. I eat something between 1900 and 2000 kcal a day. On some days it's 1600kcal and on others 2200kcal. Doesn't really matter as long as at the end of the week the average is between 1900 and 2000.
    I now lost 12lbs in the last month. The first two weeks were crazy of course. I think that's ok.

I just looked at your pictures. You already look awesome! I think if you keep up the effort you put into it wou will reach your goal:D
  • hmroebuck
    hmroebuck Posts: 64 Member
    Changing your workout won't make you gain if you are burning the same amount of calories.

If you are being 100% honest and accurate with your logging, then you need to get a HRM to calculate calories burned. If you find that was also accurate, then you need to see a doctor.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member

I measure and weigh everything. I'm totally a stickler on that, and it gets on my husbands nerves :tongue:
    Then I would suggest speaking to your doctor about it. You'd waste away on 600 calories a day even if you were in a coma.
  • 3dogsrunning
    I strongly recommend a visit to the doctor then and please let them know this is what you are eating.
    Your diary as logged is extremely low, it is very concerning.
  • hmroebuck
    hmroebuck Posts: 64 Member
    600kcal a day is like nothing. I think 1400 is also very low. Your body needs more to survive. If you want to lose weight and keep it off eating more is better. I eat something between 1900 and 2000 kcal a day. On some days it's 1600kcal and on others 2200kcal. Doesn't really matter as long as at the end of the week the average is between 1900 and 2000.

Not everybody can consume the same amount of calories. If I ate 2200 calories a day I'd be gaining nearly a pound a week!!!!!
  • AmandaMaitland
    I know it doesn't seem to make sense... that is why I decided to post about it. I feel like no matter what I do, it never adds up! I get really discouraged and want to quit..

- I calculate my food
    - I underestimate my calorie burns
    - I workout everyday or at least 6 days a week

I don't know what to do :ohwell:
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Is your diary accurate? You regularly net 400 calories per day? Please eat more.
  • 3dogsrunning
    I know it doesn't seem to make sense... that is why I decided to post about it. I feel like no matter what I do, it never adds up! I get really discouraged and want to quit..

- I calculate my food
    - I underestimate my calorie burns
    - I workout everyday or at least 6 days a week

I don't know what to do :ohwell:

Go to the doctor. If you are being completely honest with yourself - not skipping logging things on a daily basis or not logging binges - There is absolutely, positively no way you should not be losing weight at 600 calories. It is also not healthy to be eating that low.

If you were eating at a higher calorie level there would be other suggestions I would make but, in this case, as 600 calories, it isn't a matter of slight inaccuracies in logging or over estimating calorie burns.
  • Hottehu
    Hottehu Posts: 2

Not everybody can consume the same amount of calories. If I ate 2200 calories a day I'd be gaining nearly a pound a week!!!!!

Well, I don't know how tall you are or what you do (exercise and work and so on). But an average woman needs something like 2000kcal to keep her weight. I'm 5'9'' and for me 1900kcal is perfect to lose a bit every week. If you eat under 1600 and your not really tiny something is off. It's not good for your body if you eat that less for a longer period of time. You will screw up your metabolism: You will stop losing weight unless you keep going lower and lower and lower...and the minute you start eating a tiny bit more you will gain weight.
  • AmandaMaitland

Well, I don't know how tall you are or what you do (exercise and work and so on). But an average woman needs something like 2000kcal to keep her weight. I'm 5'9'' and for me 1900kcal is perfect to lose a bit every week. If you eat under 1600 and your not really tiny something is off. It's not good for your body if you eat that less for a longer period of time. You will screw up your metabolism: You will stop losing weight unless you keep going lower and lower and lower...and the minute you start eating a tiny bit more you will gain weight.

I'm 5'7", and small frame. As far as calories go... I am thinking that's what happened. That I ate too little when I originally lost most of it. My job is sitting at a desk 8-5. I do at least 30 minutes of working out a day. See I never had a huge appetite. I consumed 1200 during my 50 lb loss. I was comfortable with that, and it worked for me. Once I plateaued for what seemed like forever, I looked into other areas. I started weights/ little cardio and gradually went up to 1400. For 6 solid weeks I did this. It only got worse. I gained a lot of inches and lbs and couldn't fit in my clothes anymore. I sort of gave up after that... I quit working out for a while.. stopped counting... I now am struggling with the calorie number. I eat when I'm hungry, stop when I'm full, drink a lot of water, and I now workout again regularly. Hoping something will give soon.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member

I can exercise! They just cut out my regular routine which was jogging/plyometric workouts. I walk, swim, and do the elliptical 5 days a week (try to). I also suffer from severe fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis as well. :sad:

Ah. Ok. Yeah, depending on where your arthritis is jogging is probably out. I was never much of a jogger so that didn't bother me. I would do some strength training. You'll lose the weight slower but you'll get stronger. Arthritis sucks :grumble: