Trader Joe's

Options
So i found a Trader Joe's by my "male friends" house and I was wondering what they have that has it so crowded. Well ITS ALL ORGANIC FOOD!!!

So how many of you live close to a trader joe's or Mom's Grocery Store and if so what do you like to get from there. Im thinking about going shopping and I need some ideas!!!

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I don't believe TJ's is all organic. I believe they have specific standards about GMO's, but definitely not everything is organic. With that being said, I love their jalepeno/cilantro hummus and the mandarin chicken is delicious. Oh and the cookie butter!
  • anastasiadietitian
    anastasiadietitian Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love Trader Joe's! My favorite things to buy include: Ezekiel Bread, Black Bean & Cheese Taquitos (in the frozen section), organic shredded cheese, Thai vegetable dumplings (also frozen), General Tso's sauce (for making stir frys) and lots of fruits and veggies of course. I think Trader Joes is very reasonable.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I don't believe TJ's is all organic. I believe they have specific standards about GMO's, but definitely not everything is organic. With that being said, I love their jalepeno/cilantro hummus and the mandarin chicken is delicious. Oh and the cookie butter!

It is not all organic. They do have good food, reasonable sized containers (not a store for the Costco crowd), and reasonable prices. I buy their Tea Tree Tingle shower products, black bean dip (I know, it's easy to make...), coffee, and assorted other stuff. I prefer to have an in store butcher, and have a very good one nearby, so I don't buy meat at TJ's. The only thing I have been disappointed by was their knock-off of Bailey's Irish Cream, which just didn't work for me.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's is far from all Organic. Most items are private label conventional foods just done well and at a great price. Check it out.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Cookie butter.

Ate a whole jar of it last week and I don't regret it.
  • glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Found out that Trader Joe's is owned by the same company that owns Aldi.....
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    A Trader Joes opened in a nearby town last year, 1st one in the area. I went just to check it out but I wasn't impressed. I'll stick to my Wegmans :-)
  • Ems500c
    Ems500c Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Posting to see the answers! I have one that just opened by my house about a month ago.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Found out that Trader Joe's is owned by the same company that owns Aldi.....

I like aldi. I'm not crazy about all the premade food that TJ has. I do like their broccoli slaw. And their bread section is pretty nice.
  • notyouraveragetalia
    notyouraveragetalia Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Cookie butter.

Ate a whole jar of it last week and I don't regret it.

This.

And the guacamole! The nut sections pretty great too!
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I like buying the Cilantro, basil, garlic all frozen in cubes for cooking. I love love love them.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Yogurt Stars
    Cowboy Bark
    Wasabi Wow!
    Mandarin Chicken
    Grilled Chicken Strips
    Fresh Veggie Packs
    Chocolate Covered Pretzels
    Cheap Wine
    Any of their frozen meals or prepackaged meats

I just love Trader Joe's and sadly we don't have one any closer than three hours :(
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I like TJ's salsas, chips, spaghetti sauces. I'm not wild about their produce or meat selection. I do think most of their products are reasonably priced, even for the organic or non-GMO stuff. Now, I've gotta try the cookie butter.....
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    It's not all organic but they have many great low cost organic options and they have the best, most savory prepared packaged (frozen) foods around. They have so many ethnic frozen foods that I find we eat out much less simply because we can have a wide range of flavor on hand! (Favorite Mexican: frozen tamales - mini chicken ones or even the regular sized cheese and sweet corn // Favorite Chinese: Gyoza chicken potstickers // Frozen Indian: Naan bread is killer!)

I find that I live off of their healthy snacks when I need a fix - their dried fruit selection is tops (favorite is the sliced dried mango: the unsweetened is my favorite - it's super sour!) and also the nuts selection is by far the cheapest and best. (Splurging on the calories of one macademia nut lasts me for hours when I need to simply have a quick taste of something. I know, this sounds crazy.)

Favorite frozen snacks include chicken cilantro wontons (2 minutes in microwave + add a quick homemade a soy/rice vinegar dip sauce -easy!)

Kids love mini-chicken pot pies and the mini pizzas.

Produce is great for organic options - I buy the arugula lettuce bags (organic) and organic strawberries. Their organic options are 1/2 the cost of Whole Foods (though we still go to WF for special items we can't get at TJs). We are saving a ton of money by not eating out (bec of frozen ethnic options) and by buying organics at TJs.

Great salsas and pasta sauces - salad dressings and sauces for cooking.

Steer clear of trying their cookies and frozen treats. Not smart for a fitness pal....they are addictive! (Kids love the mini ice cream cones called 'Hold the Cone' ) - Almost forgot - dark chocolate low carb choc bar has lasted me all week. A little square per day was my choc rescue for TOM.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I do about 75% of my shopping at Trader Joe's. The rest is at Whole Foods, Fresh Market, and rarely Meijer (one of the few places I can get bagels that are "safe" for me). Their prices are great. Their meat is pretty good if you just need basic cuts. Also love their selection of nuts, instant oatmeal, produce, ice cream, and much more. I also just love shopping there especially if i have a chance to go when it's not super busy. The staff is great!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I love that I can buy 4 bottles of wine for less than 25$

it makes me happy- along with dark chocolate covered espresso beans.

So delicious.
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Blue corn tortilla chips are addictive so I buy that always. I love their fresh produce. And I'm a big fan of their microwave indian meals! :bigsmile:
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    I could walk into Trader Joe's and buy pretty much one of anything, but their fresh produce is amazing (and expensive). Also, their frozen food. I like the ice cream, macarons, orange chicken, fried rice, some of the individual meals.

And their soy milk beats Silk by a mile. Just try some things out! :)
  • lizb214
    lizb214 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    One just opened near me, so far I like:

Reduced Guilt Guacamole
    Spinach and Kale Dip
    Chicken Sausage (sweet apple, is amazing!!)
    Fat Free Greek Yogurt
    Priobiotic Yogurt
    Sweet potato chips and sweet potato tortilla chips
    Brewed Ice tea
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    WISH THEY SOLD BOURBON :-(

They are pretty awesomer though :-)