DAY ONE

Options
This is day one of my weight loss journey, I'm starting a 1500 calorie diet today in preparation of my bariatric (sleeve) surgery in a few months. I currently weigh 380 lbs. and may goal is 220 lbs. Prey for me or just wish me luck.

Thank You

Barry Young

Replies

• Captains_Lady
    Options
    Hey Barry! Good luck in your journey. Its also day one for myself as well. Restarting after a careless hiatus where I gained back half the weight I lost. Starting again at 205lbs. = )
  • thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    You can do this!!!!
  • Linda250S
    Linda250S Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Barry,
    Congratulations on making the decision to work on change. In April my physician said it was time to get serious, I was in danger of becoming diabetic if i didn't make a change, big change. I am eating 1,500 or less calories a day, limiting carbs to 50 or less and so far it has been successful. I've lost 33 lbs. since April 3. My husband and I started the journey together and he loses weight faster with ore "cheats" than I even think about. Last weigh in he lost 11 lbs. I lost 5.
    You can do it. I am on a journey to lose 100 lbs. I know it will take time and I am trying not to get discouraged. Some days it is easy to beat myself up, but I WILL NOT let that feeling defeat me. I will succeed. Half the battle is determination and mental attitude. Find someone that will be your cheerleader, coach, and a kick in the butt when you need it. Hang in there, believe you can do it!
  • RebeccaP1972
    RebeccaP1972 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Sending prayers your way Barry, You've got this!!
  • layla_luvyah
    layla_luvyah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You started...Don't look back...keep looking ahead! We're all here for you!!:flowerforyou:
  • JanLynnemfp
    Options
    Congrats Barry! I am so happy for you, I have 116 pounds to go to reach my goal of 199, I may change it when I reach it as I have not been under 200 pounds since I was 13, I am 53 now! You have taken the first step and that was the biggest one to take, Please feel free to add me as a friend, I enjoy others encouraging me as well as I Love to encourage others!
  • jmcdonald2011
    jmcdonald2011 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    congratulations on making this change. best of luck to you in your journey and when its surgery time I hope it all goes well and I am wishing you a speedy recovery
  • byoooo43
    byoooo43 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your inspiration
  • byoooo43
    Options
    Thank you for the encouragement
  • byoooo43
    Options
    Thank you for the encouragement
  • AiSoT
    AiSoT Posts: 4
    Options
    Also my first day! Aiming to lose 55 lbs. I've struggled with my weight my whole life i always managed to be around 130 lbs. Since 2011 i gained a lot of weight and despite my best efforts I was losing this battle. Hope the encouragement of others help me to win this time :)
  • JuneyJo
    JuneyJo Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Way to go, Barry!!! And to the rest of you on Day 1, also!!!

I'm on Day 1 of a new workout program so I'm crashing your party! :flowerforyou:

Feel free to add me if you'd like another friend to share the journey!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    It helped me to stop thinking in terms of "this is a diet" and call it a lifestyle change. The latter is a better fit because this doesn't stop. I have changed my eating habits, portion size and quality or nutrition. I am at my proper weight now and dropped 50 points on my cholesterol. I am also in the best shape I have ever been in and feel great. I do some tweaking here and there but this is my new lifestyle so I just keep on rolling with it. Good luck!
  • RickyEpps
    RickyEpps Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Everyone -- I expect that I will fall off the wagon along the way - seems a given - My biggest fear that I won't start - Sure I signed up like so many things I start. The many workout videos still in the shrink wrap - the food plan DVD/CD still in the box. Hell at this point even watching them would be progress. I fear being 273# isn't scary enough for me. Even though I know It's harder carrying this excess weight around I can't stay on my feet for very long. My weight will go up and up just slowly enough for me to adapt and get used to the idea.

Hard to know where to start and what to do. Maybe I should do Weight Watchers - What do I eat - how much

OK I'm going to crack open one of the several meal plan programs I have ordered and do it. Exercise I am going to walk 3 times a week for 30 minutes
  • ddkphotos
    ddkphotos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck! Feel free to add me as I log daily and try to encourage as much as time allows. One step at a time...if I can do it anyone can!
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, Barry. Starting is the very hardest part, and you have already done it. You will find MFP very helpful! There is all kind of cool stuff on here.
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    You guys are an inspiration
    "I made a decision" is where it all started for me
    Don't expect to be perfect. Just learn.
    For me this is not a diet.
    If anyone told me my fridge and pantry would have food in it while I'm trying to lose weight I'd have laughed a month ago.
    Losing weight is about eating for me now. Strange but true.
    I've lost 11, got another 40 to go. But really I'm just learning to eat and be lighter on my feet.
    No more crazy diets!!!
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone -- I expect that I will fall off the wagon along the way - seems a given - My biggest fear that I won't start - Sure I signed up like so many things I start. The many workout videos still in the shrink wrap - the food plan DVD/CD still in the box. Hell at this point even watching them would be progress. I fear being 273# isn't scary enough for me. Even though I know It's harder carrying this excess weight around I can't stay on my feet for very long. My weight will go up and up just slowly enough for me to adapt and get used to the idea.

Hard to know where to start and what to do. Maybe I should do Weight Watchers - What do I eat - how much

OK I'm going to crack open one of the several meal plan programs I have ordered and do it. Exercise I am going to walk 3 times a week for 30 minutes

I just start logging my food, and then measuring. Now I'm learning to weigh most things, and I don't kill myself with exercise. I walk a little and take a relaxing stretch yoga class where people sometimes fall asleep!
    Take it easy.
    'The slow dead heave of the will' is what I always tried. I'd lose some, but it would come back and bring friends. --Spend some time looking through MFP, and take what you need and leave the rest.
    Easy does it is my motto
    and it is what is working
    no more diets for me
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Its funny, I have never weighed food. I will measure a few items like almonds or beer ;-) I just estimate or use package serving size, meats I use the package as a guide but usually say "that looks like 4 ozs.". I do log everything and try to be fair and not cheat the calories down. Many dishes I go into the MFP and find the best comparable not the lowest.

The other thing I am doing is most of my food comes from the produce aisle now. I increased my fruits, veggies and lean meats. I stopped or nearly stopped my wheat, no french fries or potato chips. My point is that when you switch to better food options like roasted veggies, being off on the serving is not really a big deal. Now when you start guessing on chocolate, nuts, french fries and and packaged meals you can really end up way off.

Been maintaining for about two months now and it seems to work for me.