Sprint Triathlon Advice... help!

Options
I have a 500 yard, 12 mile bike, and 3.1 mile run triathlon this Saturday. The past two weeks I've done a test workout doing 500 yard swim, about 8 mile bike and a 3.1 mile run and have been doing just fine. Except I did all of this indoors. I did my outdoor swim and bike today and am now worried I have not trained sufficiently for this race. I use a mountain bike with slick tires (and its going in for service tomorrow because my rear wheel hub is super wobbly and my seat slides to the bottom so I cant sit higher) and my course today was super hilly in comparison to the race course which is flat, but my average time is a 6 minute 50 second mile. I'm worried this is too slow? I'm pregnant (doctor OKed this) and my times have just gotten a lot slower, and am now running a 34 minute 5k time.

I'm worried that A. doing indoor dry runs has not sufficiently prepared me for the race and that i wont have the endurance to finish and that B. I'll be too slow

Replies

• asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    bump
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    You'll probably be slower than you want after training too much in a different set of conditions than the race. It happens.

What was your goal when you signed up for the event?
  • asilmegan34
    Options
    Just to finish and not be last
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Just to finish and not be last

You should be ok then as long as you can get through the open water swim. Use this one as a learning experience to better focus your training for next time.
  • asilmegan34
    Options
    anyone else?
  • skudera27
    skudera27 Posts: 54
    Options
    Here's my 2 cents.

My first triathlon was about the same distance as yours. I swam indoors when training, did not do an open water swim until the race. I biked outside with my mountain bike, and ran outside as well. Personally, I don't think there's anything to be concerned about when thinking about running indoor vs outdoor. Biking, on the other hand, is very different indoor vs outdoor. You won't get much gain if you focus on biking outside given your triathlon is in 2 weeks.

As far as your speed goes, if you are biking 6:50 min miles...that's about 8.75mph. For your run, 34 min 5K is 5.3mph. That's a pretty small gap between bike and run speed. How much energy are you exerting on the bike? Are you pedaling really fast? Perhaps you are on a low gear and need to take it up a few notches. You'll probably find that a higher gear will feel harder at first, but once you get going, you'll be fine.

It's going to be a great experience for you crossing the finish line, and I'm sure you won't finish last. I would just recommend focusing on the bike 2-3x this week, try to get your speed up, and then take it easy the week prior to the race.

One last question - how confident are you that you're doing 6:50 min miles on the bike? Maybe you are underestimating your distance & time.
  • gwensoul
    gwensoul Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am training for one right now as well and would kill for your times! You are going to be fine.

I have friends a coworkers who walk the 5k part and don't train at all, I bet your race will have similer people so you wont be last.
  • asilmegan34
    Options
    I'm going off what endomondo with the GPS turned on says I am going. Thank you for the advice! I am going to run today, then bike tomorrow.
  • asilmegan34
    Options
    I am training for one right now as well and would kill for your times! You are going to be fine.

I have friends a coworkers who walk the 5k part and don't train at all, I bet your race will have similer people so you wont be last.

Okay I am glad to know this. THANK YOU! it makes me feel better :)
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Please let us know how it goes as I am competing in my first sprint triathlon on August 10th and have been training like crazy. Just got my road bike and did my first 20 mile ride yesterday and loved it. I had been training at the gym before that.
    I run outside and inside on the treadmill but will be changing to only outside this week as I only have three weeks until my race.
    I am nervous about the open water swim as well, but hope to incorporate some of those into my routine instead of just the pool swimming I've been doing. Good LUCK!!
  • melannebeck
    Options
    Hey everyone! I did my first sprint triathlon last September and I had a similar experience as all my training bikes were on flat and I didnt ever test the course and the traithlon course was incredibly hilly! No worries though, I finished everything just fine! You've been practicing and training and for the first TRI the best goal is to simply complete your first tri!! You'll love it. Best of luck and dont worry at all!
  • nitrospop
    nitrospop Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I volunteer for the TriAggieland sprint triathlon every year, and I can assure you that with your times, you will not be last. Just have fun with it and please let us know how you did! I'm currently training so I can participate next year instead of just helping out on the course.
  • sir_randall
    sir_randall Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    From my first experience, hang back on the swim start. If you were doing only pool training, the open water might be intimidating. There is a frenzy at the start with people thrashing all around. Hang back and swim away from the main pack. You are less likely to have someone hit you or splash water in your mouth.

In the last 1-2 miles of the bike ride, spin an easy gear to loosen up your legs. If you have not done any brick training (bike then run) then the run may be a little run after the bike. If you need it, the bike is a good time to grab some energy (like gu or gatorade) if you feel you will need it. Also, drink plenty of water on the bike. Make sure you take a sip every 2-3 miles.

The run will be difficult if you haven't practiced the bike to run. The most important thing is to start out slow on the run to loosen your legs up. Walk through the water stops and stay hydrated.

You should practice your transition routine. Valuable time can be lost in the transition area. Keep it simple. You will need helmet and shoes at a minimum after the swim. There are some helpful videos on youtube on effective transitions. Whatever you do, do not do anything new on race day. If you have not done it in your training, don't try something new on race day as it could have some adverse results.

It is natural to be nervouse before a race. Don't worry so much about sleeping well the night before as you will be anxious. Make sure you get plenty of sleep 2 nights before the race.

You will do well and finish the race. Keep telling yourself that. Have a great race!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Go off what your bike computer says. If you're going 9 miles an hour, unless it's a major incline, you're probably not physically prepared.

Good thing about your goal is though, you're not going to place, just finish. So you'll be fine, relax and enjoy the experience.

Some things to remember, the swim will be interesting, and crowded. Enjoy it.
    Keep an eye on your hydration.
    Relax, and just take it slow.

Also, keep in mind, you're on a mountain bike. You'll be able to only do so much.
  • asilmegan34
    Options
    Will definitely update this post after my race. I've done 5 brick workouts but haven't worked on transitions. Thank you for the advice on that, I went on youtube and found a few vids that were uber helpful.
  • krystalfay
    krystalfay Posts: 12
    Options
    You are going to do great. As long as you are doing some form of training you will be ok. Just take the race leg by leg and focus on finishing.

I did my first Tri on June 23rd and I had bronchitis. I had a 103 degree fever 2 days before my race but recovered well enough to race (Dr cleared me) It was so important to me to just finish. I was sooooo slow. I still finished and was so proud of myself when I was done. Don't worry about being last, finishing will be winning!

I just did my second Tri this last Sunday on the 20th. It went waaaay better. Amazing what being healthy and being able to breath will do for you!

I recommend letting people start swimming before you. It will prevent you from getting kicked and being pregnant you will want that. Also if you haven't done any open water swims it will take you a few minute to get used to it. Make sure your transition spot is clean and organized so when you run up to get your bike you can get in and out fast. Drink water on the bike as often as you can. Find a good pace and sit into it. As you know from your bricks transitioning from bike to run is an odd feeling. Do a light jog for the first 1/2 mile to warm up the legs then settle into your race pace. If you have to walk, then walk...not shame there. Remember to smile and have fun! This is such an awesome thing your are doing!

Can't wait to hear about your race!
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Bump - I've wanted to do a tri forever, but I can only swim breast stroke. :noway:
  • sir_randall
    sir_randall Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am a terrible swimmer and have not swam well since winning my first and only swim race 41+ years ago. Don't let that stop you. I did freestyle and breast stroke at my tris. Sometimes even a little doggy paddle and side stroke. Just finish it. Once the swim is behind you, the rest is easy IMO.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I am a terrible swimmer and have not swam well since winning my first and only swim race 41+ years ago. Don't let that stop you. I did freestyle and breast stroke at my tris. Sometimes even a little doggy paddle and side stroke. Just finish it. Once the swim is behind you, the rest is easy IMO.

Good advice - as is stay near the back in the water - I will rethink this!
  • zenrunner1
    zenrunner1 Posts: 12
    Options
    Brick workouts (such as cycling immediately followed by running) are important to get ready for a tri. Also, if you haven't practiced transitions, be sure to do a run through before the race. They are difficult at first, and you can lose a lot of time searching for your stuff if you are not prepared.