Has anyone ever experienced irregular periods?

Options
My start weight was 427. I have removed flour, sugar and gluten Fromm diet as of July 1. I have since lost 41 pounds. Don't be alarmed of the rapid weightloss as I was premenstrual when I weighed on and I had a lot of water retention. Not to mention, I have a lot of weight to lose, so I am charging most of the 41 pounds lost to fluid!

I started my cycle July 2 or 3 and started spotting yesterday. Now, I feel like I am Ony period, but it's light. Before I go crying to my Gyno, has anyone experienced this?

FYI I just had my annual Gyno visit on 6/23/14.

Any advice would be helpful!

Mel

Replies

• mroo2014
    mroo2014 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hello!

The exact thing happened to me yesterday - I had my monthly visitor at the beginning of this month and I've always been regular and can normally tell the day im going to start but surprise! She arrived 2 weeks early. I started the healthy lifestyle 10 days ago now and dropped 5lbs in the first week (the exercise bug bit me hard that first week!)

I had a look at a few other forums and the nhs website and what I got from that is it's not uncommon for your period to become irregular while you're losing weight - the hormones in your body are changing due to diet and exercise and it's trying to balance things out etc. (There's a far more scientific explanation on the nhs website if you want it!)

I'm just gonna note down dates and changes in my cycle over the next few weeks and if things are still all over the place then I'll go to the doctor. That being said, if you're worried - there's no harm in going to the doctor ????

Keep up the fight.
  • slimsteelerfan
    slimsteelerfan Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Good idea about tracking your cycles. I will start doing that.

Keep up the good work!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Periods are a weird thing....especially when you're losing weight.

After I'd lost about 115 pounds I went for a "panniculectomy" to remove the belly. The recovery was a little more difficult than I expected, and through much discussion with the surgeon, endocrinologist, and reproductive dr., I came to find out that: the majority of what he removed was fat (26 pounds was removed), fat has hormones; not only did it send me into a depression, but it also sent me into menopause!!

So yes, weight loss (and surgery) can cause lots of changes to the hormones creating irregular periods.

On a side note, my daughter just started her periods, and the pediatrician's office told me that it can take up to two years before her cycles become "regular".

It is a good idea to track them, and anything you notice during them or around that time - headaches, flow, cramping, etc. The more info you can give the doctors, the better they can help you.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    nope. never.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    The story of my life =) I've been tracking for years and years - I also track my headaches as I get them and migraines with my period... the joys of being a woman...

In your tracking, have little symbols - makes it easier and faster... for example in my tracking
    (*) means spotting, * means real period and H means headache.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    YES! Losing weight can definitely affect your periods, and if I had to put money on it, I'd say it was from the weight loss... BUT you shouldn't overlook the fact that you're 37 and it could be perimenopause. Everyone is different, my mother didn't have any signs of perimenopause until she was well into her 40's but I started having my first signs in my early 30's

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    I started my cycle July 2 or 3 and started spotting yesterday.

cycling is definitely good for you! keep it up!

what were you spotting while cycling? nature? did you spot birds and other assorted wildlife?
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options

what were you spotting while cycling? nature? did you spot birds and other assorted wildlife?
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options

I spotted a huge 12 point buck while cycling once. Scared the hell out of me.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    Like a run on sentence, or a fragment? All the time on here. Drives me nuts too.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Like a run on sentence, or a fragment? All the time on here. Drives me nuts too.

:laugh:

OP: Have you always been totally regular? I think just about everyone gets some funny cycles every now and again. Dieting can affect it, as well as getting older, the full moon cycle, and whether or not the garbage man picks up our trash before 8 am.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    MEqxccM.png

But please carry on!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Alright boys, stop derailing.

Getting back to the topic. There are lots of hormonal changes that happen when losing weight especially when it is rapid (more than 3 pounds a week). It may be a good idea to increase your calories slightly to slow your weight loss down.
  • THECaptainObvious
    THECaptainObvious Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I've had an irregular cycle since I was 10.. Have them do an ultrasound to be sure that there are no fibroids, cysts, tumors.. If that is clear it's a hormonal thing.. Mine came up clear so next is more thyroid testing!
  • Snail_Whale
    Snail_Whale Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Mine has been mostly regular since my first period when I was 8 (seriously). It's also been pretty heavy. And there has been a few times where I have had two periods in one month. Have a full week, two weeks pass, then another full week.

Been on a birth control pill for the last three months. It's made my cycle much lighter and kept it regular, even though I do spot some days. IMHO, I recommend anyone with period troubles to go on a birth control pill to make it easier on yourself. Of course, rule other issues out first.