Going vegan

Options
_Clarana_
_Clarana_ Posts: 73 Member
So after reading skinny *****, experimenting and having a long think, I believe going vegan might be right for me. I just wondered if anyone could recommend any good resources for newbies, not so much recipes but maybe websites, free ebooks/apps or communities? Although a lot of it is common sense obviously.

After experimenting for a day, I realised that when I cut out cheese, yoghurt, meat (etc) even though they were all healthy low cal and low sugar, I felt so much better for it and didn't have any "false" cravings, and felt full and satisfied more easily. I need help breaking a binging habit, so I think this would also really help me. So yeah, also if any vegans or bingers/binge breakers want to add me for some extra support, feel free :) thanks.

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    if you're going vegan for anything but moral reasons, then its probably not for you honestly.

that being said, check out some of the groups on more info on vegan life, you'll have better luck there
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    if you're going vegan for anything but moral reasons, then its probably not for you honestly.

This

There is no need to cut out meat / fish / dairy / animal by products from your life in order to be healthy. One day's 'experimenting' is not enough to go on either. Most vegans will exclude meat/fish initially, then later may progress to cutting out eggs and dairy. And remember, it's not just about diet, vegans will avoid leather products, cosmetics with animal products, etc. etc. etc.

There are also dietary implications you will need to research to ensure you get enough nutrients, e.g. iron, vitamin B12, calcium, protein, etc.

As mentioned above, you may find more advice on in the vegetarian groups.
  • pinktoesjb
    pinktoesjb Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    YOu need some serious commitment to do a vegan diet, let alone full on lifestyle. I tried it once for research for a blogging challenge and it was nto easy, particularly if you take pleasure in eating!

Questionable 'sources' say I was in some kind of 'detox' or cleansing period but I felt like crap for the first five days then improved to just be tired and weepy for the rest of the time. I did 10 days, as I said purely for research I never intended to go long term and I should add I lost no weight at all if that is your reasoning.

I went all in on day one, if you really want to get into it then I would reccomend an ease in- say drop dairy for a week, then take out red meat, another week and ditch the chicken etc.

Good luck, but don't underestimate the challenge and drink LOADS of water to avoid any, erm, system back ups from all that extra fiber.
  • jbpretty
    jbpretty Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    There is no need to cut out meat / fish / dairy / animal by products from your life in order to be healthy. One day's 'experimenting' is not enough to go on either. Most vegans will exclude meat/fish initially, then later may progress to cutting out eggs and dairy. And remember, it's not just about diet, vegans will avoid leather products, cosmetics with animal products, etc. etc. etc.

There are also dietary implications you will need to research to ensure you get enough nutrients, e.g. iron, vitamin B12, calcium, protein, etc.

As mentioned above, you may find more advice on in the vegetarian groups.

You can get iron, calcium and protein from plant sources (fruit, veggies, beans, nuts and seeds, ground flax seed etc.) and some of them are better and offer more said nutrients than animal sources. You just have to do some research as to which plant sources offer you what. The only supplement you really need, barring you're getting a variety of foods is B12.

*This is just me sharing what I've learned, I'm not advocating or recommending anything to anyone.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i was plant based for 2 years but then decided to start including seafood in my diet. i see this as something thats a lot more healthy and optimal than a standard vegan diet as it doesnt require any supplements
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    YOu need some serious commitment to do a vegan diet, let alone full on lifestyle. I tried it once for research for a blogging challenge and it was nto easy, particularly if you take pleasure in eating!

- depends on what you eat as a vegan - a vegan diet can lack pleasure as can an omnivorous diet. Surely its what you make of it.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Honestly, like others have said. Your reasons for going vegan don't sound like the right ones. That being said, Oh She Glows is a great cookbook and she has a website.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Happy Herbivore cookbook
    Oh She Glows cookbook
    Fire Engine 2 cookbook

And check your library or bookstore for vegan cookbooks that have recipes which look good to you and are at whatever your current cooking proficiency level is.

Also google those names and there are free recipes online from all three I believe.

Definitely embrace cooking from scratch if you haven't already. There are fat vegetarians (I was one) and fat vegans who live off packaged foods. And you should still weigh your food and count your calories. You can go over easily, especially if you eat seeds and nuts.

And as was already mentioned, take a B12 supplement. It is the one thing we can't get from vegan food. And most everyone should be taking vitamin D, too, few of us get enough sun.

I take a full multivitamin as training wheels because I'm new to vegan, a bit over 40 days. My diary is open, but I also do intermittent fasting, so I have weird high calorie and low or no calorie days. Not sure it will be much help to you. Search groups here for vegan, there are several with helpful people.

And to those saying vegan is only for ethical reasons, well, okay, that is why I went vegan, but there is a lot of new evidence coming out about the health benefits of plant based diets.

Edit for more reading and internet search suggestions: Forks Over Knives
  • jbpretty
    jbpretty Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    And as was already mentioned, take a B12 supplement. It is the one thing we can't get from vegan food. And most everyone should be taking vitamin D, too, few of us get enough sun.

Yup, forgot about that vitamin D. I know I don't get enough sun. :)
  • candyinmyheels
    candyinmyheels Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    if you want to try vegan, go for it.
    i love the website www.theppk.com
    Isa Chandra Moskowitz's cookbooks have some great basic tips too.
  • jchurch9
    jchurch9 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I second the "Happy Herbivore" and "Oh She Glows" as well as "the Vegan Zombie" & "Raw, Vegan, Not Gross". There are so many awesome websites and youtube channels. And get some nutritional Yeast for extra B12 & and cheesy flavor!
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You can be healthy on a vegan diet, but it takes a lot of committment. I've been a vegetarian for many years, vegan for 4 months and i feel great. I suggest forksoverknives.com. I saw the film and it is very enlightening.
  • yvonnedorrington
    Options
    Hello! I'm vegan for ethical reasons and I find it very easy :)
    You must ensure your diet is supplemented with vitamin B12.
    Check out The Vegan Society's website for info on nutritional deficits and what you need to have to combat them.
    Once you get used to it, it opens up a whole world of new delicious meals and deserts
    :happy: xx
  • Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    OP, is there a reason why you have your calories set for 500 per day?
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options

This.

As to going vegan, it's not as common sense as you'd think. I eat mostly vegetarian and I find I eat a lot of vegan meals. I have to keep a careful eye on protein and fat to be sure I get enough or I start feeling awful. Long term there's B12, iron, calcium (eat greens!), vitamin D and omega 3's to think about. It's not impossible, it's not even all that difficult, you just need to know about it.

I recommend Vegan Health for some science-based info from an RD. No woo.

http://www.veganhealth.org/
    http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/intro <--- tips for new vegans
  • _Clarana_
    _Clarana_ Posts: 73 Member
    Options

Because I'm an idiot and I used to have a problem, I admit it. 10lbs overweight and it's killing me.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

Because I'm an idiot and I used to have a problem, I admit it. 10lbs overweight and it's killing me.

According to your profile you are wearing a size 6, in which case it is very unlikely that you are overweight.

I would suggest you need to consult with a doctor to discuss your issues before they escalate. Becoming vegan is not the answer.

You are not an idiot, but faddy eating and very low calorie diets are not healthy or sustainable at best. At worst they can be dangerous, especially in someone who is already a healthy weight. Please seek medical help. :flowerforyou:
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I am a vegan for ethical reasons. If your motive is weight loss, veganism only will make dieting more difficult-- fewer food choices and a way of eating that is EVEN MORE RESTRICTIVE BY FAR than calorie intake reduction. You will be doomed to fail at dieting, vegan or not vegan, unless you count calories and don't cheat on your diet. It is very easy to gain weight as a vegan unless you count your calories.
  • tiggersstar
    tiggersstar Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    It's easy being vegan and like anything else you can eat healthily or junk.

If you want to have a plant based diet, go for it. But probably best not to call yourself vegan unless you are doing it for ethical reasons. There is alot more to being vegan than just not eating certain foods.