Cut my calories to 1,200 & I've gained WTF!...

Options
I've cut my calories to 1,200. I've been burning between 300-400 calories Mon-Fri ( I eat back my burned calories depending on if I am hungry or not), I weighed myself today and I am 3 lbs heavier than I was FRIDAY MORNING!... So frustrating... Can anyone help me out, my diary is open I am really good at logging MON-FRI, weekends not so much..... although I stick to basically the same pattern as I do during the week.

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    If you are not tracking weekends very well.....well that's your problem!!!

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • 0Amra
    0Amra Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    There's no way that you've put on 3 lbs of fat in that amount of time. My guess is that it's probably your diet over the weekend. Too much sodium and you can easily pack on a couple pounds of water weight. Of course, there are also many other possibilities, TOM, change in activity levels, ect. Give it some time and it should even back out so long as you continue to eat a deficit.
  • bluesarah13
    bluesarah13 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have this problem when I don't eat enough calories. I guess my body thinks I'm starving and holds on to everything I eat. Also, weight fluctuates >5 for me, depending on where I am in my cycle.
  • cookiekrunch
    cookiekrunch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    That's usually water weight from too much salt. I can gain up to 10 pounds in 2 days from too much salt.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    If you aren't tracking weekends accurately then you aren't averaging 1200 a day.

The extra weight is probably water as previously mentioned, but still, hold yourself accountable. Log everything.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Not tracking weekends and (possibly) over-estimating calories burned.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Track more accurately, otherwise it's a shot in the dark and you'll keep spinning your wheels.
  • Jennifera714
    Options
    Thanks its hard to track on the weekend I have 3 toddlers at home, so it's hard to get on the internet PERIOD...
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Use the phone app.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Use the phone app.

This.

inb4flipphone tho
  • suremeansyes
    Options
    Plus are you counting your son as a toddler? Cause he isn't...
  • Jennifera714
    Options
    I have 4 kids , 3 toddlers and 1 (12) yr old.....
  • suremeansyes
    Options
    Then I know how busy that can be, definitely use the phone app. It makes things very easy and I only spend like an average of 3 minutes daily inputting my food.
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Not everyone has a smartphone. If you don't have one, keep a little notebook in your pocket and write down your food intake until you can get on the computer.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    What day do you weigh in on? I changed my weigh in days from Monday to Fridays to avoid the false water weight of Mondays. I found typically that if I misbehave, or just generally eat higher sodium foods on the weekends and my Monday weigh in's were terrible! By switching to Friday I had all week to fix things, drink more water and get on track for a good weigh in Friday morning.

Also, I realize it's not easy to log with toddlers around, but be sure to measure and weigh everything, jot it on a piece of paper even and then log it after the kids go to bed or Monday morning.
  • lavaughan69
    Options
    Oh, and if you aren't going to keep better track of your weekends then I suggest not eating back your exercise calories at all, it will give you more room for error.
  • Jennifera714
    Options
    What day do you weigh in on? I changed my weigh in days from Monday to Fridays to avoid the false water weight of Mondays. I found typically that if I misbehave, or just generally eat higher sodium foods on the weekends and my Monday weigh in's were terrible! By switching to Friday I had all week to fix things, drink more water and get on track for a good weigh in Friday morning.

Also, I realize it's not easy to log with toddlers around, but be sure to measure and weigh everything, jot it on a piece of paper even and then log it after the kids go to bed or Monday morning.

I weighed myself Friday morning then again this morning (Monday) . I don't have a set day when I weigh myself. I should set a day though, Friday mornings sounds good to me. I usually get onto the scale once a week at the least.
  • lavaughan69
    Options
    Yes, just pick a day, preferably Fridays. There's no need to weigh in more than once a week, especially if an increase sends you into a panic. That being said, be prepared for the scale to fluctuate from time to time during PMS etc. I find that I only really get a two good weigh ins a month. One week will stay even and the following may show a gain and the week after I'll have a three pound drop.

Have you done your measurements? Don't count solely on the scale. Your measurements and how your clothes feel are sometimes a better indication. Our bodies have an amazing ability to hold on to water weight, especially if we've been exercising and our muscles are in recovery.

Good luck with your weight loss!
  • Jennifera714
    Options
    Yes, just pick a day, preferably Fridays. There's no need to weigh in more than once a week, especially if an increase sends you into a panic. That being said, be prepared for the scale to fluctuate from time to time during PMS etc. I find that I only really get a two good weigh ins a month. One week will stay even and the following may show a gain and the week after I'll have a three pound drop.

Have you done your measurements? Don't count solely on the scale. Your measurements and how your clothes feel are sometimes a better indication. Our bodies have an amazing ability to hold on to water weight, especially if we've been exercising and our muscles are in recovery.

Good luck with your weight loss!

Thanks for the info!