What is the ratio of diet and exercise for cutting fat

Options
13»

Replies

• whatyouwill
    whatyouwill Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I think 99% diet, 1% exercise. Maybe even 100% diet, 0% exercise if a working out makes you hungry.

Exercise can help you maintain your weight but for weight loss it isn't particularly helpful. It takes an enormous amount of work to burn off a meaningful number of calories. And you have to hope it doesn't make you hungry afterwards because you'll wipe out all the work with that granola bar or smoothie.

It's more efficient to limit calories.

I must say, I have to disagree here.

In my experience, a good mix of cardio and resistance can make a HUGE difference to a fat loss program. I would however agree that cutting down calories, eating the right foods, and limiting sugar and carb intake to sensible amounts is STEP ONE.

STEP TWO, is adding an exercise regime to supplement this.

Percentages? I'm on a 50/50 diet and exercise regime. Both as important as the other. But that's just me squire. Good luck!
    I would have to disagree with you here. It's not going to make a HUGE difference. Cardio will help increase your deficit but it's not a necessity. Many people, including myself, never do cardio. And we're doing just fine.

Eating the right foods? What does that even mean? I can guarantee you that you wouldn't think I eat the right foods. There are no wrong and right foods.

Sugar and carbs don't need to be limited. Fat and protein have minimums which is the reason why carbs get reduced, that's the only macro left. But it doesn't have to be limited.

It's a shame that people are so defensive on here sometimes. I only posted what works for me. And if you read what I said, I did not call cardio a necessity. I said it CAN make a huge difference. If I burn 500cals a day through cardio, I could in theory drop a lb a week (very rough theory, of course).

Again, perhaps I should clarify...I used to eat terribly. Processed foods, with lots of sugars and takeaways high in fat etc because they're fried. Come on, you know what I mean by "right foods", surely?! We all know you can't eat 10 mars bars, be under the calorie limit for your day, and be fit and healthy!
    No one is being defensive just clarifying for the lurkers when it appears someone is stating information as an absolute when in reality it's their "belief"

And no, I don't know what you mean by the right foods. Hence, why I asked the question. Today I have a bagel with cream cheese, 3 cookies, 1 slice of pizza, ice cream. All part of a larger amount of meals. Some people might now think they are the "right" foods, but they are right for me. I eat plenty of processed foods.

Welcome to the forums.

I wish you all the best with your program!

I guess a better phrase is "right foods for the right person". I just know I couldn't eat that sort of stuff in a controlled manner, so I applaud you that you can!
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options

I guess a better phrase is "right foods for the right person". I just know I couldn't eat that sort of stuff in a controlled manner, so I applaud you that you can!

Don't worry about the guy you are replying too.
    The rest of us know what you mean
  • _funrungirl
    _funrungirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I was just talking about this with friends!

If you're going for just weight loss, then I would say it ifs100% diet. I know many people who changed their numbers (weight, cholesterol, etc) by diet alone.

HOWEVER, to be HEALTHY then a person needs diet and exercise (cardio and weights). People need a good cardiovascular system (heart/lungs) as well as good muscle tone (fight off osteoporosis and good bone density)

Edit in rant: One thing I get frustrated about by these boards is how focused on the outward appearance people are. Yes looking good naked is a nice goal to have, but what is the point of looking good naked if your arteries are clogged and you have a heart attack at 40?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Don't worry about the guy you are replying too. He just likes to be rude to new people. If you have a low post count or lots of weight to lose he thinks he is better than you and will call you out on anything.

The rest of us know what you mean

He isn't rude at all. Maybe he doesn't sugar coat everything to your liking, but the advice he gives out is true whether or not you like it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Diet is what you consume. Exercise is for health and overall fitness.

CALORIE DEFICIT is what is needed to lose fat and how you go about it (with exercise, without exercise, cutting carbs, etc.) is always going to be a matter or preference.
    Some like to do it with a lot of exercise. Some like to do it eating "clean". Some like to do it walking.

There's also recomp, but that's a different story.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    For strictly weight loss, it's all about how much you eat. You will lose body body fat this way.

For lowering body fat percentage/muscle retention while on a deficit, you have to eat enough protein and incorporate some resistance training (lifting heavy is the most popular suggestion).
  • Sixsal
    Sixsal Posts: 5
    Options
    50 percent food plus water, 40 percent sleep and 10 percent working out. It is about basics and foundation and it takes a lot of discipline to go to be on time in order to get recovery time/build muscles. You lose weight by getting proper rest