Negativity around

Options
Hi everybody!
I m 28 yo female with some fat to get rid of. Technically I m not overweight, but boy these lovely folds of fat on upper and mid lower body :) not much of the lean mass as well.. Swimming suit sad look :(

Back to the topic: I keep getting following comments from ppl at work and family
1. Why are u drinking that ( protein shakes) - it's bad for u
2. U r eating too much ( I bring my food to work and eat 2-3 times, considering them go on hungry all day and binge at the dinner)
3. In the gym strangers asking me why I lift coz it will make me big
4. My SIL comments that I m wasting my time since after 30 and kids I ll turn into chubby thing anyways and no cure for that
5. My other relatives comments that I m too skinny to diet (relatively to em)
And many more

I really don't wanna be rude but my only honest answers will be " Mind ur own business and go check ur info about being healthy and fit"..
I need some nice sweet answers that will stop further annoying me. Thanks for listening, folks and feel free to add me

Replies

• Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    In relation to number two on your list:

A training partner forgot her creatine in the staff lunch room. She came back the next day and it was gone. But there was a note saying " creatine is moronic, stay clean." She checked the cameras and saw a coworker toss it in the garbage. She went out, bought replacement creatine, then left the receipt and a copy of the video on the coworkers desk.
  • Tab122377
    Tab122377 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    First i would like to say when hit your 30 and kids yeah you may gain weight but you can get fit again I have 3 boys 36 years old and I'm doing cardio and weights and I have lost 20lbs. And better yet my cousin wife who was up in the 180 when she had her first of 2 kids is now doing competitive body building challenges (not the all muscled up but fit) With her second child she was a zumba instructor and not sure what she did or does for food but she looks AMAZING. Don't let them bring you down you look great everyone has there opinions. Good luck.
  • oksanatkachuk
    oksanatkachuk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    In relation to number two on your list:

A training partner forgot her creatine in the staff lunch room. She came back the next day and it was gone. But there was a note saying " creatine is moronic, stay clean." She checked the cameras and saw a coworker toss it in the garbage. She went out, bought replacement creatine, then left the receipt and a copy of the video on the coworkers desk.

B**ch please! She is so cooler that me! I dunno if I could resist to make a scandal!
  • allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You apparently know some of the rudest people I've ever heard of.

You aren't changing your lifestyle for them, you are doing it for yourself, so just make a noncommittal response (if required), you know something like "thanks for your concern" or whatever then go on with doing whatever it is you want to do.

In regard to specific points:

Protein shakes aren't bad for you but be sure you are using them correctly (they aren't meal replacements, generally, read the instructions and ingredients).

How much you "should" be eating is up to you.

Lifting won't make you big. That is like saying "I went to college and accidentally got my PhD!". Won't happen without a tonne of work.

I'm over 30 and look better than I did 10 years ago. You do not have to "let yourself go" just because you turn 30 and/or have children.

"Too skinny to diet". You aren't trying to lose weight, from the sounds of things, you are trying to lose fat. If you feel a need to respond to this at all (and, like I said, you apparently know some of the rudest people...personally, I wouldn't dignify most of these with an answer or would start screwing with people being such busy-bodies, but that is me), feel free to say that you aren't trying to lose weight, you are trying to gain muscle/lose fat/get healthier/get stronger/whatever.

Most of the comments sound like busy-bodies with too much time on their hands, or sour grapes. Do what you need/want to do for your lifestyle, be healthy about it, and ignore the rudeness.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Hi, Oksana! :smile:

#3. Strangers in the gym...Just smile and thank them, because you know better. Everyone's an expert, LOL...

#4. Ha! I'm 49 and have had 3 kids...And once you get chubby, you CAN go back, so smile and thank her for her concern, but you got this. :laugh: (I got chubby in my mid-40's because I ate too much and never moved.)

Seriously, all the negativity? Just try to ignore it, smile and thank them for their concern. I got soooo many negative remarks on how I was doing it wrong, and 50 lbs later? Yeah...I don't hear that anymore. :wink:
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Cuz beast mode requires gratuitous amounts of fuel and pure protein is the highest octane I can get...what...you don't like fuel?

2. U r eating too much ( I bring my food to work and eat 2-3 times, considering them go on hungry all day and binge at the dinner)
    YOU ARE EATING TOO FEW! *storms off

Maybe I want to get big...maybe I want to be the HULK *engages in smashing something close by

4. My SIL comments that I m wasting my time since after 30 and kids I ll turn into chubby thing anyways and no cure for that
    Check back with me when I'm 30 and had kids yet i'm still lean and in shape. Its way easier to keep a healthy figure than to get a healthy figure.

I eat right, I lift heavy, I'm healthy...don't be jealous.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Tell all naysayers it's none of their business and keep doing you! =)
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    MOAR:

I didn't feel like carrying a steak around in my bottle today.

Are you counting my calories? I am, I know exactly what I'm doing.

You can't get big overnight. If I noticed myself getting too "big" I could easily lighten up.

It'll be easier to stay in shape later if I get in shape now.

You telling me that I'm too skinny is the same as me telling you you're too fat. I'm healthy, leave it at that.
  • Khorner84
    Khorner84 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Cuz beast mode requires gratuitous amounts of fuel and pure protein is the highest octane I can get...what...you don't like fuel?

Maybe I want to get big...maybe I want to be the HULK *engages in smashing something close by

Check back with me when I'm 30 and had kids yet i'm still lean and in shape. Its way easier to keep a healthy figure than to get a healthy figure.

This. I love this.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Try "Thank you for your concern and your opinion, but I know what I'm doing."
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Just continue to do what is best for you. Sounds like their comments are an expression of their own issues, not yours. Kill 'em with kindness. "Thanks for your concern." and leave it at that. Don't validate their opinion.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I don't give a flying flop what people think or say. I do what I want and if they don't like it too bad.

My MIL said something similar to me that I was doomed to be fat forever after having my kids. Proved her wrong :bigsmile:
  • xenu01
    xenu01 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I feel you! People really should just stay out of your body. None of their business!
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Keep it pithy tell em: Go F@#$ yourself, then go about your business.
  • Snail_Whale
    Snail_Whale Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    "5. My other relatives comments that I m too skinny to diet (relatively to em) "

Hah, I get that and I am overweight. Lately from my mother, who isn't that much heavier than I.

My advice is to just ignore it and maybe lie about the reason your doing what you're doing. Just say you just want to change your habits and focus on health. Only say things to people

IMHO, if they start to actually sabotage you or try to push food on you....you need to think about your relationship with those people. There's saying stupid *kitten*, and then there's disrespect. Don't take disrespect.
  • oksanatkachuk
    Options
    You apparently know some of the rudest people I've ever heard of.

You aren't changing your lifestyle for them, you are doing it for yourself, so just make a noncommittal response (if required), you know something like "thanks for your concern" or whatever then go on with doing whatever it is you want to do.

In regard to specific points:

Protein shakes aren't bad for you but be sure you are using them correctly (they aren't meal replacements, generally, read the instructions and ingredients).

How much you "should" be eating is up to you.

Lifting won't make you big. That is like saying "I went to college and accidentally got my PhD!". Won't happen without a tonne of work.

I'm over 30 and look better than I did 10 years ago. You do not have to "let yourself go" just because you turn 30 and/or have children.

"Too skinny to diet". You aren't trying to lose weight, from the sounds of things, you are trying to lose fat. If you feel a need to respond to this at all (and, like I said, you apparently know some of the rudest people...personally, I wouldn't dignify most of these with an answer or would start screwing with people being such busy-bodies, but that is me), feel free to say that you aren't trying to lose weight, you are trying to gain muscle/lose fat/get healthier/get stronger/whatever.

Most of the comments sound like busy-bodies with too much time on their hands, or sour grapes. Do what you need/want to do for your lifestyle, be healthy about it, and ignore the rudeness.

Thank u for ur concern ! Brilliant and if said with smile and good tone of voice will send the msg I hope!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Just smile and say "Thanks, I'll take that into consideration." Depending on the situation that is.
  • oksanatkachuk
    Options
    I don't give a flying flop what people think or say. I do what I want and if they don't like it too bad.

My MIL said something similar to me that I was doomed to be fat forever after having my kids. Proved her wrong :bigsmile:

I am kinda afraid to argue with this one, what if I will gain a lot and get " I told u so " :)
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options

This. I love this.

#4.....Slap that b*tch.
  • oksanatkachuk
    Options
    Try "Thank you for your concern and your opinion, but I know what I'm doing."

Yep!