Shaking after exercise??????

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
Anyone else shake after you get done exercising???? I just did my elliptical trainer (after a long hiatus!) for 45 mins and I burned 500 calories. Now I'm shaking like an old grandmother! lol. Is it my muscles "waking up?"

Replies

• marrieandfive
    Options
    It could be, but when that happens to me it's low blood sugar.
  • samarie119
    Options
    It will take some time for your muscles to get used to working so hard again. It goes away after a time or two :)
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    my pump class instructor say if your not shaking after,,
    you have not worked hard enough , not sure she is right!
  • Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but it sounds to me like maybe you didn't eat enough first and your sugar is low? Good work on the burn, though! You also might have just overdone it for your first time back after a hiatus.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too. I always eat before exercise - not immediately before but an hour or so. Have some protein and complex carbs. And have protein after too!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I do sometimes after a hard heavy liftin weight trainin workout. Or if I just ran on the treadmill. Sounds like your body is not use to it. Give yourself sometime.
  • JeanK56
    JeanK56 Posts: 76
    Options
    It may be that you haven't had enough to eat.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You might have low blood sugar. Did you eat anything before you exercised? Even though I make sure I eat breakfast before I go to the gym (with about an hour to digest) I always have a protein shake immediately after working out to give my body some energy (from carbs) and protein (for my muscles).
  • Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    my pump class instructor say if your not shaking after,,
    you have not worked hard enough , not sure she is right!

I think for strength training and weights, that's correct... if you're not shocking the muscles, they won't shape up. But for cardio, I'm not so sure.
  • Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Eat something. They say chocolate milk is a good way to recover. Just remember measure it out 1 cup!
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I get that too, and in most cases, its because my blood sugar is low ( I have hyperglycimia) usually an afterwork out glass of soy milk helps me out
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    alot of people say blood sugar but I'd suggest muscle fatigue. i'm no expert though so..... maybe research it a little.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Yes, I definitely ate before I worked out. I had some cereal with fruit so I know it's not low blood sugar. Maybe it's just my muscles getting woken up! LOL! Thanks everyone!
  • Teebowen
    Teebowen Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    make sure you are hydrating through out as well....:)
  • jetama1
    Options
    I say drink ....drink ... your Muscle are screaming for hydration
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Yes, I definitely ate before I worked out. I had some cereal with fruit so I know it's not low blood sugar. Maybe it's just my muscles getting woken up! LOL! Thanks everyone!

How long did you wait before exercising? My trainer told me that processed carbs like cereal burn up in about 30 minutes.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    When I hit my legs really hard I will have tons of muscle shake. Sounds like you're killing it. Keep it up.
    Stay hydrated, eat a small pre workout meal and a post workout meal within an hour of completion.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    its your muscles, theri weak theri not use to being worked out you should start to feel real good as you build up and strengthen lots of energy coming your way
  • mistawalka
    mistawalka Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Takes me a good five minutes after a good session to be able to focus and drive home from the gym once the shaking subsides
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Probably your muscles. The first time I did the 30 Day Shred I could barely walk. My thighs were shaking like crazy the rest of the night.