Potassium Gluconate Supplements.

After careful review of my nutrient intake over the past few weeks, I've noticed that the only nutrient I've fallen short on, consistently, is potassium. This morning, I just picked up a bottle of "Nature's Bounty - Potassium Gluconate, 595mg."

One caplet of this particular brand actually only contains 99mg of elemental potassium. A far cry from the 595mg, but, from what I understand, potassium is chemically unstable by itself unless bound to stabilizing compounds. There may be physiological reasons behind the standardized 100mg of potassium that I see in all brands of potassium gluconate, but I do not understand them.

Anyone else taking these supplements? What's your dosage?

Replies

• maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    In for the comments. I am ALWAYS low on potassium and I've been trying to increase my intake of potassium-rich foods but I'm still falling short.
  • weavernv
    weavernv Posts: 1,555 Member
    99mg. I've read that you should never supplement more than that.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    I don't use supplements for Potassium, however, if you're consistently low on Potassium, buy some low sodium V8. One cup has less than 50 calories and over 1000mg of potassium probably for a lower price point than your supplement.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Coconut water is high in potassium, too.

Remember, though - food labels are not required to list potassium. Therefore, many MANY foods in the database don't have a potassium number listed, even though they may very well have some. Your MFP food log is NOT a good source for judging whether or not you might be low on potassium. Try tracking it through other methods for a week or so before you get too crazy with supplementation.
  • 100 caplets only cost me $2.20. Very cheap! I know that MFP food database numbers can often be inaccurate, so I double or triple check them using other sources. Thanks for the food suggestions! I found this site as well:

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php

I love me some acorn squash!

Also found this comment from someone in a bodybuilding forum:

The FDA requires no more than 99mg per serving in pill (tablet) form because the pill can cause a high localized concentration of potassium at the point in your gut where the pill rests. High potassium concentrations are extremely damaging to cells.

I have an electrolyte drink mix that I buy and the stuff comes in little packets. Each packet has about .5g of potassium as well as some chromium, magnesium, manganese, and a bit of calcium.

I've done a lot of reading and based on my research the standard diet americans eat is extremely poor with regards to sodium/potassium intake ratio. Whole healthy foods have high potassium levels with low sodium levels, whereas a typical processed food diet will have something more like an 8 or 4:1 ratio of sodium to potassium. This should be reversed. Many studies showing improvements in heart health, hypertension, and blood pressure from improving this sodium/potassium ratio.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Coconut water is high in potassium, too.

Remember, though - food labels are not required to list potassium. Therefore, many MANY foods in the database don't have a potassium number listed, even though they may very well have some. Your MFP food log is NOT a good source for judging whether or not you might be low on potassium. Try tracking it through other methods for a week or so before you get too crazy with supplementation.

Agree that the database is not a good source of adequate potassium intake. The best way to know if you are low on potassium is through lab work. If you have not actually been diagnosed with low potassium, I encourage you to consider not supplementing. Too much potassium can lead to serious imbalances which can cause heart arrhythmias. Low potassium can also influence the contractility of the heart. I suggest seeing your doctor before beginning supplementation.
  • Yeah, I guess it might be beneficial to health to have a 500-1000 mg potassium deficit on MFP paper to allow for deviation. Overdosing on potassium is no bueno!
  • fryebootgirl
    fryebootgirl Posts: 48 Member
    I concur. Over supplementation with K+ can be very dangerous. Normal serum K+ is 3.5 - 4.5 with some small variance depending on the lab reference values. High or low serum potassium levels can cause dangerous heart arrhythmias including cardiac arrest. Bananas and leafy greens are good dietary sources of K+. Otherwise, if you are taking a good multivitamin, I wouldn't worry about a specific K+ supplement unless your doctor specifically prescribes it. :-)