Newbie with Hypothyroid :/

Options
:frown: Hi. I'm new here. Have joined a gym with fantastic trainers 3 - 4 times per week (1 her sessions). Started a food diary, trying to cut out sugars and quick fixes. Feel rubbish to say the least with the Hypo and really struggling to lose weight, like nothing ever before.
I am a member of forums to try and understand this horrible condition, reading and researching lots, don't seem to be getting anywhere with the GP's.
I still believe it or not have a sense of humour, I just really need a break!! :ohwell:

Replies

• ZombieMom79
    ZombieMom79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hypothroid is not an enemy, neither will is necessarily make things harder. If you are getting proper treatment hard work and dedication you will make it to your goals.

I have had hypothroidism for 16 years and never have once used it as an excuse of why I was over weight or couldn't lose weight.
  • dietcoke281
    dietcoke281 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm hypothyroid and have never even been close to being overweight. If you're in control of it, there's no reason you can't lose weight normally.
  • Eleana14
    Eleana14 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I've had hypothyroidism for more than 15 years, and not until I changed to a new doctor about 2 years ago did I get the proper treatment. It's relatively easily treated in the majority of people, but in some of us it's a lasting problem. I didn't get well until I started taking T3 in addition to T4. I have no problems losing weight now.
    Be critical if you don't feel the lethargy and depression etc go away even on medication. You might be needing an adjustment too.

But if the disease is being dealt with properly it shouldn't really make it any more difficult to lose weight than for other people.

Feel free to add me.

Good Luck!
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    If you have been hypothyroid for awhile before being diagnosed then you may have gained weight as a result of it.

Everyone's body is different and also the history of their disease and treatment (or lack thereof), so don't let the "well *I* never had that problem, you whiner" crowd get you down.

If your hypothyroidism is being treated at the right dose, then you should lose weight the same rate your body would have lost weight on your diet/exercise plan at your age if you had never developed thyroid disease.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and I lost weight just like everybody else—by logging everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly.

The advice in this post worked for me: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants

MFP has two thyroid groups:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/51427-butterfly-chasers
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Me, too. However, if you are medicated properly, it should not make a difference. You can do it.
  • RKD63
    RKD63 Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi! Hmmm proper treatment you say? Glad you are well with it all. :smile:
  • RKD63
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and I lost weight just like everybody else—by logging everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly.

The advice in this post worked for me: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants

Thanks for this. I do believe my condition is NOT treated properly yet... but I am determined to make a difference despite. That's why I'm here. I just have to try much harder than others lucky enough to have GPs that get it. :wink:
  • RKD63
    Options
    Hi Dietcoke, not sure how all this messaging works yet so hope you get this.

My problem is still not sorted in my opinion otherwise I wouldn't be ill as I am, it;s not just about the weight for me although it is obviously linked to other aspects of your health.
    My thyroid is deteriorating as per the Consultant last year due to undermedicated for some time - convincing the GPs was/is another story.
    I am normally a very positive person - so need to get that back :smile:
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I do believe my condition is NOT treated properly yet... but I am determined to make a difference despite. That's why I'm here. I just have to try much harder than others lucky enough to have GPs that get it.
    Get a referral to an endocrinologist.

I was diagnosed with Hashi's 2 years ago, and my levels have only just now entered the "normal" range. But I was still able to lose almost 30 lbs. over the last 600 days—logging works.
  • dietcoke281
    dietcoke281 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Hi Dietcoke, not sure how all this messaging works yet so hope you get this.

My problem is still not sorted in my opinion otherwise I wouldn't be ill as I am, it;s not just about the weight for me although it is obviously linked to other aspects of your health.
    My thyroid is deteriorating as per the Consultant last year due to undermedicated for some time - convincing the GPs was/is another story.
    I am normally a very positive person - so need to get that back :smile:

Hope I didn't come off as rude - just wanted to get across that there is hope and you don't need to resign yourself to not being able to lose weight due to your condition. I get trying to convince GPs - my sister has a growth hormone problem which was not diagnosed until my mum insisted on seeing doctors privately as GPs couldn't find anything wrong. Hope everything gets sorted. x
  • RKD63
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hashi's 2 years ago, and my levels have only just now entered the "normal" range. But I was still able to lose almost 30 lbs. over the last 600 days—logging works.
    [/quote]

Hello editgirl,

Autoimmune / Hashi's is on my GP notes.
    I fought to be referred to one last year, she agreed my thyroxine was too low, wrote a prescription and report for it to be raised, along with an appropriate HRT should I need it in the future (my surgery nurse prescribed me with the wrong one and it made me severely ill. I still have monthlies and no hot flushes etc...).
    She also informed me my thyroid was on its way out and prob only had 10 - 12months left before I would need 150 - 200mcg. (currently 125mcg) I am there now - and surely enough my health is poor again. Labs don;t test for T4 or T3 so as long as I am 'in range' they say I'm normal. Even though the nurse asked for them to be done. My iron was stopped 11 (10 - 24) after about 3 months as I should be getting it from my diet. ?? I have battled to get my TSH from 5.7 (0.3 - 6.0) to 0.3 (0.3 - 5.0).

I am back to the GP on Wednesday. He says I'm OK. So many symptoms. Something is wrong somewhere.
    Sorry to go on - just want you to know I AM doing as much as I believe I can at the moment.
  • RKD63
    Options
    Me, too. However, if you are medicated properly, it should not make a difference. You can do it.

Thanks for the encouragement, don't believe I am properly medicated but I'm on to it! :wink:
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    there is a group on here for Hyperthyroid and Hypothyroid, (it might be the other way about).

I agree with editor, all is not lost, can be harder. Best place to start is to find an endocrinologist.

Look at the thyroid support site for your country there will be a deal of information there. You could also try "Stop the thyroid Madness" site for similar and more information, the more you know about your symptoms and how it fits into the myriad of possible symptoms it will help you. Knowing you can change doctors if necessary, how to tell, and how the "so called" "normal range" functions and your entitlement to know your numbers and how it all relates. If you are in the UK there is supposed to be a couple of sites on face book trying to improve the lot of sufferers.

For some of us it can be a hard slog but I am sure you will get there. All the best and keep going.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    there is a group on here for Hyperthyroid and Hypothyroid, (it might be the other way about).
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    What I found difficult while my hypothyroidism was untreated, was adding exercise to my diet. I could restrict carbs or calories and log it, but without exercise any weight loss was glacially slow.

If I tried to exercise, I was so exhausted I couldn't function for the rest of the day and often for the following day as well.

Logging works. Calorie balance ins vs. outs works. Exercise works. But if you're hypothyroid, un- or under-treated, and symptomatic you may have limited energy to do any of these things.

Treated, you're just like everyone else.