Weekends.....I need help!

Options
Up until late April, I worked retail and had days in the middle of the week off as opposed to a Monday through Friday gig. I was able to string together 5,6, even 7 weeks of great choices food wise and balance with exercise and posted great weight loss number for continuous weeks on end. Since then, I am lucky if I can post 2 consecutive weeks with good choices and a nice weigh in day on Fridays. I am curious if anyone else has had a similar change in work schedule and had this sort of negative effect. I know it is all in the mind and it is up to the choices I make, but I want to know if anyone has had a problem, how they worked around it to be able to partake in family outings and still make great choices so that way I am not playing catch up during the rest of the week. I am tired of waking up on Mondays feeling terrible and sorry for myself and defeated. I have given up and come back more times than I can count, and when I came back this time, I promised myself it wasn't just a fad. I have goals I want to attain, but have this mental roadblock that is kicking my *kitten*. Any advice?

Replies

• MBAndrews723
    Options
    I commented on your status - but following your post
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    For long time I took brakes from diet during weekends. Didn't count calories, didn't work out and ate crap. Because yes it was harder when I was not distracted with school. I knew I would struggle anyways so I just decided to fully enjoy myself without fighting it. I did gain a lot of water weight and bloat up after weekends and for that reason I just weight myself once a week on Fridays to not mess with my mind. But I still got consistent weight loss. 5 days out of 7 with good diet and exercises is pretty good deal I think. Yea it's not 100% but for me 80% success was still enough because I wasn't in hurry to lose weight. And if I was gonna make being healthy and fit a lifetime commitment then this was the best way for me. Now I do this on 7th day of week but it's planned refeed rather than just cheat day, but still keeps me mentally going as well when dieting. So, ya know, I would just suggest enjoying yourself these two days of the week. It won't effect your weight loss in long term that much, as far as other 5 days of the week are good, and will keep you mentally motivated.
  • edahl7762
    edahl7762 Posts: 7
    Options
    Weekends are extremely tough for me. I work M-F and weekends are just packed with parties, visits with family, outings, etc. I try to my conscious choices some days and others I just do not even keep track. I would like to do better and if I am going to cheat I would rather it be one meal on the weekend rather then 2 straight days. It is so tough.
  • ItsJordanNicole
    ItsJordanNicole Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I give myself a break on the weekends but I don't allow myself to go completely off the deep end. What helps me a lot is to make sure that I work out on the weekends so that when I do eat over my calories, it's mostly calories that I already burned off. I know that my results would be better if I went 100% everyday but I'm in no rush
  • Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I know just what you are saying. Weekends can be really tough. For family outings, dinners, etc - I usually volunteer to bring a vegetable and try to eat more of that than the less healthy options but it's hard to resist all the good sweets when you have a lot of good cooks in a family. If I know ahead of time, I will sometimes to try to save some calories from the day before to help offset it. I found it was too frustrating for me to have to catch up during the week for all the bad things I would eat on the weekend, which would lead to discouragement and quitting. I've found it a little easier with trying to stay on track most of the time on the weekends and family gatherings.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    You could bring something healthy along, like pp suggested. That way you have something you know you can eat. You also don't need to eat one of everything. Pick a few good choices and one dessert (reasonable sized serving) and work it into your calories. That's what I do. I make sure that I workout on those days to give me a little more room in my calorie goal.

You could also try calorie cycling if that works better for you. You figure out your weekly calorie deficit and spread it out differently over the week. You could have weekdays at a lower number and eat a higher number on the weekends. As long as it works out to the same deficit over the week, it really doesn't matter.

But all in all, its really about learning how to say no and eat moderately. I don't need to have the cheeseburger, chip & french onion dip, and the birthday cake. I could eat some of the grilled chicken, salsa & chips, and a small slice of cake and be happy with that.
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've been bringing my own food to family gatherings (and most with friends) and so far everyone has been incredibly supportive.
  • Giddyduck
    Giddyduck Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with weekends. I am M-F person. I work long hours during the week so I have to spend at least part of my weekend planning for the week.

Summer is harder-at least I think-with all the BBQs and family gatherings. My friends and family are mostly supportive. I pick one day to cheat. Usually Saturday night (dinner). I can still make good choices for breakfast and lunch (most of the time). This weekend was not good as I traveled although I do pack my own food and snacks. It is hard to eat differently from everyone.

I am have been on my journey for about year and I have started eliminating people who cannot support me in my new healthier lifestyle. It was worse in the beginning because I think they were waiting to see if I would fail and I haven't so they understand when I don't all the food related activities.

I also suggest more active activities instead of always getting together for a meal like roller skating, laser tag, rock climbing, trampoline time, etc.
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I also overeat some weekends. I do several things to limit the damage.

1) If I know I'm going to have a big meal or a party with lots of food, I eat less before I get there and figure on a small snack if I'm still hungry later after the meal or party's over. Most of my calories that day comes from the big meal or party. Again, limit the damage.

2) If it's a party, take only a little bit of each of the items that look good to you. Don't touch the items that aren't worth the calories. This is especially helpful with desserts, as they can pile on the calories quickly. Go back later if you're still hungry.

3) If you like beer or wine or liquor, only drink it with a meal. Alcohol can really sabotage your fitness goals, but if you really enjoy it (like I do craft beer or wine) I find that it tastes better with a meal. And, as you get full, you rethink whether you want a second drink.

4) Stay on your feet during the weekend. You're not working, so you're not tied to a chair. Get up. Walk around a party. Stand to talk to people. And, if you know you've really overdone it after a meal or party, get in a workout later.

5) Don't beat yourself up if you're a few hundred calories over your goal. Try to make up for it Monday and Tuesday, like everyone else. :smile:
  • Order_66
    Order_66 Posts: 35
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for the positive remarks and responses. One thing I love about this site is all the friendly people to pick up a comrade on a low confidence day. Y'all you seriously amazing. Truly appreciate each and every one of you!
  • thasme01
    thasme01 Posts: 9
    Options
    Same here Weekends are the worst, friends and family gather here at my house. We always have a Big Dinner and all sit around talking, watching movies, or gamming and EATING or munching on every bad food out there. Maybe this weekend I'll put together a good 4 you party tray.