new here, need help

crednour
crednour Posts: 5
edited September 19 in Introduce Yourself
Hi,
I just started yesterday on my diet. I need to lose about 70lbs. I have a several health problems that are not in my favor for loosing weight, but I am determined to lose these extra pounds. My doctor sd. that I need to eat 1200 calories a day. I did not even come close to that yesterday, I only managed to eat about 600 calories. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to eat 1200 calories? I thought that I was doing pretty good until I put in my meals on the calorie counter. I have cut out all of the soda and trying to drink a lot more water. I eat 3 meals a day. Is it bad for me to not eat enough calories? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Replies

• Hi,
    I just started yesterday on my diet. I need to lose about 70lbs. I have a several health problems that are not in my favor for loosing weight, but I am determined to lose these extra pounds. My doctor sd. that I need to eat 1200 calories a day. I did not even come close to that yesterday, I only managed to eat about 600 calories. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to eat 1200 calories? I thought that I was doing pretty good until I put in my meals on the calorie counter. I have cut out all of the soda and trying to drink a lot more water. I eat 3 meals a day. Is it bad for me to not eat enough calories? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
  • debmac63
    debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
    I'm not an expert but I do know that your body needs a certain amount of calories consumed just for you to sit and do nothing. I would do all you can to eat at least 1200 calories a day even if you start increasing by small amounts to get to that point.
  • First of all welcome, i only started this week too,

You could at more fruit to your meals these add calories and various vitiamins etc,

Wish i had the problem of being below my calories i'm usuallly over,
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Hi, and welcome.
    What you really need to do is read the newbie information, ESPECIALLY the one that talks about how your body will go into starvation mode if you DON'T AT LEAST eat 1200 cals, and then you won't lose a thing! Have lots of little snacks and meals if you can't manage to get enough the way that you're doing it now.
    I recommend logging all your foods BEFORE you have them, rather than later, so that you'll know exactly what your numbers are and what you've got left to work with for each day.
    Drink lots and lots of water too, it'll also help.
  • Welcome

It is important to eat a minimun of 1200 calories per day to avoid decreasing your metabolism and putting your body in starvation mode. Start by trying to have 300-400 calories per meal and add snacks. Example ( my menu for the today:
    Breakfast
    Wu-Yi - Tea, 1 cup 0 0 0 0 remove
    General Mills Cereal - Cheerios, 1 cup(s) 100 calories
    Generic - Milk - Fat Free Skim Milk, 1 cup 80 calories
    Bananas - Raw, 1 medium (7" to 7-7/8" long) 105 calories

Total 285 Consider adding an oz of almonds to cereal this will add an additional 160 calories

Lunch
    Thomas' - multigrain english muffin, 1 muffin 150 calories
    No Name - Cooked Ham Sliced, 1 slices 30 calories
    Gulden's - Spicy Brown Mustard, 1 teaspoon 5 calories
    sliced cheese, 1 piece 60 calories
    Campbell's - Soup at Hand Classic Tomato (25% Less Sodium), 1 Container 120 calories

Total 365 calories

Dinner
    Dunkin Donuts - Carmel Iced Latte Lite, 16 oz 80 calories
    Dunkin Donuts - Egg White Turkey Flatbread Sandwich, 1 sandwich 280 calories

Total 360 calories

2 Snacks/ day ( can be more if hungry. Try to keep snacks under 150 calories)

Apples - Raw, with skin, 1 medium (2-3/4" dia) (approx 3 per lb) 72 calories
    Plums - Raw, 0.5 fruit (2-1/8" dia) 15 calories
    Nectarines - Raw, 1 fruit (2-1/2" dia) 60 calories

Total 147

Total for day 1157

Remember to count calories for juice if drank, gum chewed, vitamins taken, fiber etc. count all calories you put in your mouth. I am sure that you will reach 1200 calories.

Good luck on your weight loss journey

85625.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • whtflds
    whtflds Posts: 10 Member
    I started 6 days ago and am already pleased... I have lost 12 pounds just working out. I have been in a dead zone for about 2 months when, I found this website. I love it, I can't say enough how much easier it is then other websites I have tried. I am learning how to eat right and am loosing weight already. Has anyone cheated and not logged a snack down..? I am guilty.....of snacking about an hour before bed (saltine crackers) what can I do to avoid this? Does anyone have any suggestions.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Hi,

Thanks,

I find it surprising you ate 3 meals and only totaled 600 calories. That's very interesting, were they really meals or just parts of meals? I consider a meal as having a portion of everything you need for you RDA. I.E. carbohydrates, fats, protein, vitamins, and minerals. If you aren't doing that, then maybe you should start planning out your meals ahead of time, that makes it much much easier. I plan my whole week out with about 100 cals as a fudge factor.
    By the way, you need to lose 70 lbs and you're doctor put you on 1200 cals a day? That sounds a bit ambiguous to me (it may absolutely be correct and I may be just all wet, then again, it may not). IMHO I would go see a registered dietician. Just as a precaution. Doctors can make mistakes too (I know mine has). There's nothing wrong with questioning them, sometimes, especially when (these days) they see so many patients and have so little time to really focus the way we would like.
  • emibmas
    emibmas Posts: 1,058 Member
    I was donig the same thing my first week, I was so afraid to eat and watching everything so carefully, that at the end of the day, I only ate 700-800 cals. Our bodies need more to function properly. I am now at or maybe just 20-30 cals under 1200 a day. Instead of having a just bowl of Special K for breakfast, I would also add a fiberone yogurt. For lunch, I staretd using frozen meals that were low in sodium, I LOVE Lean Cuisine Panini's. So I knew I could eat 330 cals for lunch, and so on. I tried to eat more withouting eating badly.

I think that is the biggest issue with me and maybe some others, we need to EAT TO LOSE WEIGHT! Hard to get that in my head. But hey, look, it is working! Good Luck!
  • Hi Emikarls,
    Thank you so much. You hit the nail on the head, I am afraid to eat. I worry about everything that I am putting in my mouth. Special K is what I have for breakfast too. I will try adding some yogurt. I looked at the frozen meals, but had no idea what kind to get. I will try the Panini.

You are doing great!!! You lost 29lbs in one month, WOW. Keep up the good work.

Thanks again
  • Hi Banks1850,
    Yep, 1200 calories. I know it will take a while to lose 70lbs, but that is ok, it took a while to put it on too. I don't know if you mean that I should be getting more or less calories??? My "meals" are as you said, not really meals but parts of them. 1/2 bowl of Cereal for breakfast, tomato sandwich for lunch and then usually cereal again for dinner, except I did have 1/2 of a slice of pizza for dinner last night. I will try to plan out my meals and check the calories in them before I eat them, instead of after.

Thanks
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Hi Banks1850,
    Yep, 1200 calories. I know it will take a while to lose 70lbs, but that is ok, it took a while to put it on too. I don't know if you mean that I should be getting more or less calories??? My "meals" are as you said, not really meals but parts of them. 1/2 bowl of Cereal for breakfast, tomato sandwich for lunch and then usually cereal again for dinner, except I did have 1/2 of a slice of pizza for dinner last night. I will try to plan out my meals and check the calories in them before I eat them, instead of after.

Thanks

I meant that seemed low. It may not be, but it's just an observation, without all you're numbers I'm just guessing.
  • Hi Pamela,
    Thank you so much for all of the info. expecially the menu of what you eat. That is very helpful. It gave me an idea of things that I can eat and not go over 1200 calories.

Thanks again
  • whtflds
    whtflds Posts: 10 Member
    I have lost four pounds in 9 days just eating the requirement fitnesspal has set up for me I even go over a bit sometimes. I have learned how to eat and suprisingly I eat alot, I snack several times througout the day and am still under by 65 calories. Its what you choose to eat....I choose to eat trim meal replacement bars, fruji concentrated fruit and vegetable bars....I am getting all my nutrients, fruits, veggies and lots of protein. LUV it!
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Hi there newbies!!! :flowerforyou: Believe it or not...I lost my first 12 pounds by...ready for this???

Eating.

Yulp! Once I started eating, my body thanked me. I had more energy, I wanted to workout and be off the couch and out and about! You can do it!:drinker:
This discussion has been closed.