Weight loss before breast reduction surgery

Options
ICarla
ICarla Posts: 200 Member
Hi Folks! So today I got word that I'll be having my breast reduction surgery on September 29th. I couldn't be happier!! Not only from the health standpoint (that's most important) but also from the emotional perspective. I'm current a 38 I but hope to be a C/D cup when I'm done. I'm 5'3 so my healthy weight should be around 130-140 lbs. Right now I weigh about 225 lbs. I want to lose weight before the surgery because my biggest fear is having small boobs and a big belly. As of right now my boobs/belly are sort of proportionate (both are too large). There are 10 weeks until the surgery. Is 40 lbs totally unrealistic? That's about 4 lbs a week. I figure with a good diet and a strong exercise regimen that's do-able. Please no ridicule. But helpful answers are appreciated. If you disagree with what I've said feel free to offer some advice of your own. I'm open to listen.

Replies

• Autk79
    Autk79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I really think it will be too hard to do 4 a week. But I got a reduction in 2006 and you will feel so much better after you get it done. You will fill lighter. I would try for 2 pounds a week. And I hope your done with having kids. I paid my last payment from 6000 and found out I was pregnant that day. They grew back. So just thought Id throw in that advice before you get it done. Good luck.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I think 4 lbs a week is unrealistic. I know you are probably impatient, but is there any way to push the surgery back until you lose some of the weight? Honestly, many women lose inches in their chest as the weight comes off. I lost about 8"-9" off my chest alone. I am still slightly top heavy, but I know many women lose even more. If you have the body type that stores fat in your breasts, there is a possibility that you could have the reduction & lose weight & lose even more in your chest so that your stomach could appear bigger. I tend to store in my stomach & chest as well & would have been very unhappy to be more middle heavy than top heavy (given a choice between the two). Good luck!
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I really think it will be too hard to do 4 a week. But I got a reduction in 2006 and you will feel so much better after you get it done. You will fill lighter. I would try for 2 pounds a week. And I hope your done with having kids. I paid my last payment from 6000 and found out I was pregnant that day. They grew back. So just thought Id throw in that advice before you get it done. Good luck.

My mom got a reduction & hers grew back as well.
  • Autk79
    Autk79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Guess she was just meant to have them too!! lol
  • ICarla
    Options

I hope I'm done having kids lol. One and done for me. I just really don't want the santa claus belly after the surgery. I shouldve been doing this all along. But of course I'm now in panic mode once I have a date set. Thanks for your advice!
  • ICarla
    Options
    I think 4 lbs a week is unrealistic. I know you are probably impatient, but is there any way to push the surgery back until you lose some of the weight? Honestly, many women lose inches in their chest as the weight comes off. I lost about 8"-9" off my chest alone. I am still slightly top heavy, but I know many women lose even more. If you have the body type that stores fat in your breasts, there is a possibility that you could have the reduction & lose weight & lose even more in your chest so that your stomach could appear bigger. I tend to store in my stomach & chest as well & would have been very unhappy to be more middle heavy than top heavy (given a choice between the two). Good luck!

Even at around 160 lbs I was wearing a DD/DDD bra so I'm going to always be top heavy even with weight loss. Although I will lose some of the breast if I lose weight. I really dont' want to wait because while my insurance is willing to pay for it, I want to go ahead. Usually insurance companies are very strict with their regulations and it could take a year or greater if the rules change. My shoulders and back kill me so I really would like to get it done ASAP