Am I eating too little ?

Options
I went through a quick 6lb drop in a month and now I seem to be going up and back down around the same numbers.
I am currently 211lbs at 5'3"
I currently eat around 1200-1350 cal a day (never less than 1200) (<200 breakfast, <400 lunch ,<700 dinner, the rest in snacks 50-150) I drink water with every meal.
I exercise lightly, burning about 250 on walking and calisthenics a day.
This routine has been continuous for a month, no slips in diet.
I have been hovering around 210lb for awhile, then down to 209 and now back up to 211 what gives ?

I assume I am eating too little, but it is really hard at the end of the day when I see I haven't eaten enough but am not hungry.
I am full every meal AND I snack on fruit and veggies all day long.

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If you've only been at this for a month, have lost a net of 4-6 pounds (I'm not sure from your post) then its too soon to decide there is a problem. Weight can temporarily go up for a number of reasons. Something related to your cycle, hormones, sodium, stress, etc.

If you're fairly short, exercising lightly, and feeling fine (in terms of energy and such) then you're probably not eating too little. If you feel lethargic/low energy then perhaps re-evaluate. Otherwise keep it up for another 4-8 weeks and reassess.
  • LydiaShackelford
    LydiaShackelford Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Please open your diary. Also, are you weighing your food to ensure you are only taking in the calories you think you are and not more than that by underestimating how much you are eating?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Eating too little is less about weight loss and more about making sure you're getting proper nutrition.

How long has it been since you last saw a drop on the scale? If it's been 2-3 weeks it's possible that you're not doing anything wrong and just seeing some water weight fluctuations while your body adjusts to something (it could be caused by stress, sodium, TOM, hormones, exercise, etc.)

You're logging everything you eat? Including condiments, cooking oils, veggies, cheat days, etc? Are you using a food scale, measuring cups, or eyeballing your portion sizes? Most people can be off in their estimates by as lot when they eyeball portions. Measuring cups are better, but a food scale is always going to be the most accurate.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290491-how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

And make sure that you've calculated your calorie goals appropriately. Remember that these are just estimates. You may need to play around a little to find what works best for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

If you're exercising and eating back your earned exercise calories, be sure that you're using accurate estimates of your burn. MFP and gym machines have a tendency to overestimate certain activities, which can cause you to eat back more calories than you need to. Even a heart rate monitor isn't 100% accurate. If you're eating those extra earned calories it might be a good idea to eat only 50-75% of those.
  • Kyxlee
    Kyxlee Posts: 4
    Options
    I just opened this account, as I do not log my meals here I log them on the Lose It app.

I don't weigh my food I go off my eye but I try to be as precise as possible. You are right though I do overestimate.

I guess I have just gotten discouraged by this one jump back but I'm not giving up.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh my food I go off my eye

^ And there's the problem.
  • Maudump
    Maudump Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I feel your pain. I have been dieting for 2 years and went from about 178 to 152 consuming around 1400 calories a day. At the first of the year I ramped up the exercise using the Tracy Anderson Method faithfully for 90 days. It was really rigorous and I lost 5 pounds. My goal weight is 140 and I am now at 147. It is so frustrating because I cannot get there.

I have come to the conclusion that age has something to do with it. I am in 57 and it just doesn't come off like it used to. I will have to admit that I have stopped the Tracy Method because the moves were too difficult for an old person. I have since joined a gym and do 45 minutes on an elliptical each day and then about 15 minutes of weight training. I started TRX and planking. You want to talk about difficult.

My suggestion is to ramp up the exercise a bit and do not cut any more calories. I don't know if age is a factor for you but every since I turned 45 it has been downhill all the way.

:sad:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I just opened this account, as I do not log my meals here I log them on the Lose It app.

I don't weigh my food I go off my eye but I try to be as precise as possible. You are right though I do overestimate.

I guess I have just gotten discouraged by this one jump back but I'm not giving up.

Are you just here for the forums? I don't understand. Sounds like you've pinpointed your problem. Fix it, or don't.
  • Kyxlee
    Options
    Well I am turning 21 in two weeks, haha.

This month I have dropped an average of .35lb a day, the 2lb gain happened over night that's why I worried.
  • Kyxlee
    Options
    Yes I am just here for the forums. Just wanted to hear from people who know what they are talking about. Thanks for all the response, I will go buy a food scale ! (:
    Goodluck everybody and thanks so much.
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    Well I am turning 21 in two weeks, haha.

This month I have dropped an average of .35lb a day, the 2lb gain happened over night that's why I worried.

A 2-pound gain overnight is almost always water weight and it's usually nothing to worry about. It could just be caused by where you are in your monthly cycle or maybe you had more sodium than usual or exercised harder than usual. Weight loss isn't linear and your weight will never be a static number. Try not to let the little gains stress you out.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    2lb gain happened over night that's why I worried.
    :heart: Weight – So many things can affect weight, because of this it shouldn’t be the only way you track your progress. Things to keep in mind:
    :drinker: Always use the same scale – Different scales can show different weights. You will get the most accurate number for tracking when using the same scale.
    :drinker: Don’t move the scale – Carpet, uneven flooring, different types of flooring…can all affect the weight on the scale. So when you weigh, you want it to be approximately the same spot for the most accurate number for tracking.
    :drinker: 3500 calories – To gain 1lb of fat you need to be over maintenance by 3500 calories.
    :drinker: Muscle Repair – Muscles will hold onto water to repair, because of this it is not uncommon to see a gain for a little while after a workout. This weight comes right back off when they are done repairing.
    :drinker: Sodium – Can cause you to retain water. This can also be amplified if you don’t drink enough to flush it out of your system. This is also another reason for temporary weight gain.
    :drinker: Water – Not drinking enough water can actually cause you to retain water. Recommended amount is 8 cups or 64oz. I drink 64 oz to 128 oz of water a day. It doesn’t have to be plain water either. I like to flavor mine with crystal light or tea.
    :drinker: Time of day – Your weight can fluctuate throughout the day. So for the most accurate tracking, you want to weigh at around the same time.
    :drinker: Frequency – This is up to you, but if small fluctuations bother you than only weigh once a week or less.
    :drinker: Lightest Weight – Will be naked, first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom
    :drinker: Multiple times a Day – Don’t Do It. As I said before, your weight will fluctuate throughout the day. What you eat, what you’re wearing, ect will all affect weight.
    :drinker: Clothes – If you weigh with clothing on, keep in mind that the scale will show your weight plus the weight of your clothes. (Jeans are heavy)
    :drinker: TOM - A lot of women will retain water around their TOM, but its just temporary and will go away.

This is a chart I made last year (using my own weigh ins) that shows day to day fluctuations. Notice how the overall trend is down:
    29l0bqr.jpg

Measurements are better for tracking progress.
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    :heart: Weight – So many things can affect weight, because of this it shouldn’t be the only way you track your progress. Things to keep in mind:
    :drinker: Always use the same scale – Different scales can show different weights. You will get the most accurate number for tracking when using the same scale.
    :drinker: Don’t move the scale – Carpet, uneven flooring, different types of flooring…can all affect the weight on the scale. So when you weigh, you want it to be approximately the same spot for the most accurate number for tracking.
    :drinker: 3500 calories – To gain 1lb of fat you need to be over maintenance by 3500 calories.
    :drinker: Muscle Repair – Muscles will hold onto water to repair, because of this it is not uncommon to see a gain for a little while after a workout. This weight comes right back off when they are done repairing.
    :drinker: Sodium – Can cause you to retain water. This can also be amplified if you don’t drink enough to flush it out of your system. This is also another reason for temporary weight gain.
    :drinker: Water – Not drinking enough water can actually cause you to retain water. Recommended amount is 8 cups or 64oz. I drink 64 oz to 128 oz of water a day. It doesn’t have to be plain water either. I like to flavor mine with crystal light or tea.
    :drinker: Time of day – Your weight can fluctuate throughout the day. So for the most accurate tracking, you want to weigh at around the same time.
    :drinker: Frequency – This is up to you, but if small fluctuations bother you than only weigh once a week or less.
    :drinker: Lightest Weight – Will be naked, first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom
    :drinker: Multiple times a Day – Don’t Do It. As I said before, your weight will fluctuate throughout the day. What you eat, what you’re wearing, ect will all affect weight.
    :drinker: Clothes – If you weigh with clothing on, keep in mind that the scale will show your weight plus the weight of your clothes. (Jeans are heavy)
    :drinker: TOM - A lot of women will retain water around their TOM, but its just temporary and will go away.

This is a chart I made last year (using my own weigh ins) that shows day to day fluctuations. Notice how the overall trend is down:
    29l0bqr.jpg

^This is such a great post.
  • AmberLeannnn
    AmberLeannnn Posts: 28 Member
    Options

29l0bqr.jpg

:love: great post!!
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    yes.