Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Losing inches and not losing weight?

I felt a little discouraged after 2 full weeks of intense workouts and calorie counting and still not seeing a huge difference on the scale. But I did notice that I had lost inches. How could this be? Then I read this article:

Focus on Fat Loss, Not Weight Loss

When you talk about losing weight, what you usually mean is slimming down. But slimming down doesn't always mean losing weight. It may sound odd, but it's possible to get thinner without actually seeing a change in your weight. This happens when you lose body fat while gaining muscle. Your weight may stay the same, even as you lose inches, a sign that you're moving in the right direction. But, if the scale doesn't change, you may not even be aware that you're getting real results. Knowing the difference between losing weight and losing body fat can change how you get results and may even change how you look at your own body.

The Truth About Your Weight

What does your weight say about you? If you think about it, that number doesn't tell you a whole lot. The scale shows your weight, but does it tell you how much of that weight is muscle and how much is fat? Or how much of that weight is water, bones or organs? A bodybuilder's weight could be off the charts because of extra muscle, but does that mean he's overweight or fat? Most of us would say no because we know that weight doesn't tell the whole story.

Knowing your body composition is crucial information if you really want to get results and, unfortunately, the scale doesn't tell you that. Another reason scale weight isn't so reliable is that it changes all the time. All of us experience weight changes throughout the day, sometimes by as much as 10 pounds depending on what and how often we eat and drink. You could gain weight right now by putting on a pair of heavy boots, but does that mean you've gained fat? No. Just as taking those boots off doesn't mean you've lost any fat.

While the scale isn't completely useless, it may not be the best tool for people just starting a fat loss program. If it doesn't help you stay on track and reach your goals, maybe it's time to throw out the scale for good.

Should You Throw Out the Scale?

You now know that focusing on fat loss is much more important than focusing on your weight. When you lose body fat, you're making permanent changes in your body, shifting your body composition so that you have less fat and more muscle. When you lose weight, you could be losing water or even muscle. It's impossible to know if you're seeing real results or just the product of your daily habits, hormonal shifts and changing hydration levels.

Replies

• eheinze12
    eheinze12 Posts: 58 Member
    It took me a very long time to accept inches lost is almost better than weight lost! Just remember that inches lost means you can actually see and feel a difference. Where as weight is all mental with the scale. INCHES IS GREAT :):)
  • wow thanks:) thats great to know because i have been the same way...loosing inches, but not weight
  • roxy1972
    roxy1972 Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks for sharing that!! I get so discouraged because people are losing pounds and I'm not.

I will definitely change my outlook now :)
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    It took me a very long time to accept inches lost is almost better than weight lost! Just remember that inches lost means you can actually see and feel a difference. Where as weight is all mental with the scale. INCHES IS GREAT :):)

No Almost about it. Losing inches IS better than losing weight. Losing inches in visible to other people. Having to put another hole in my belt has always been more fun than getting on the scale.

One caveat though. You did not gain muscle in two weeks. More likely your muscles are retaining more water because they are being used.

It take months to gain muscle while eating a calorie SURPLUS....while lifting.
  • gbtesq
    gbtesq Posts: 84 Member
    Thanks for this post!
  • Awesome post. I needed this read. I have a hard time focusing on the inches instead of the scale.