Hill Walking/High Incline on Treadmill

Options
I was wondering, does hill walking, or setting my treadmill to the highest incline, count as a resistance or muscle building excersize? My common sense says it must because my legs burn but everything I ever read about treadmilling says its strictly cardio.

Thank you for your responses in advance, any input would be very helpful :)

Sarah

Replies

• accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Its still pretty much cardio but if you do hill sprints on it in an interval fashion its more of a muscle building type exercise. Just walking or light jogging is going to be steady state cardio...but more intense than flat surfaces.
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Thanks ! Hey, is it recommended to do weight reps while on treadmill? Like working the top half and the bottom at the same time?

Sarah
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Generally not just because of safety concerns. If you wanted to do some air punches or lifts while moving I would definitely do that on solid ground. I'm not saying it couldn't be done but it would take concentration off of the tread mill and you could lose your footing, twist an ankle, or something like that.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I was wondering, does hill walking, or setting my treadmill to the highest incline, count as a resistance or muscle building excersize? My common sense says it must because my legs burn but everything I ever read about treadmilling says its strictly cardio.

Thank you for your responses in advance, any input would be very helpful :)

Sarah

progressive resistance. Progressive is the key.

Initially, if you are totally de-conditioned, then you'll get some initial, brief adaptation. But that will be gone and it'll be cardio-vascular.

All real resistance routines have progression built into them (increasing weights, more challenging exercise variations, escalating density, etc) that force you to continually adapt to new stimulus.

If you want to do some resistance training, get on a recognised beginners programme (Starting Strength, Stronglifts, New Rules of Lifting, All Pro's SBR, You are Your Own Gym, Convict Conditioning, Simple and SInister, etc) depending upon the equipment you have available to you (barbells, kettlebells, bodyweight, etc)
  • aysea81
    aysea81 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering about this too.
    I have been walking at the highest incline of 15.
    My lower body feels harder.
    I hope that I am building some muscle even if it is only a little bit.
    What kinds of changes does everyone else notice if they do this sort of exercise?