Need advice to bulk up

Options
Hi community,

I am trying to bulk up and weight training 4 times week. I dont follow any training program, I am trying to train each muscle once every week (arms, chest, back, shoulder and legs). I was wondering if I should train to failure during my workout? Is it really good to bulk up?

Thanks,
Jamal

Replies

• Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    You should definitely try to train to failure during each set. For no matter what exercise whether bench crls or rows the last reps should feel like the last possible rep. This will allow you to get the most out of your muscles. Also for gaining mass focus on time under tension, so slow down the movements and really focus on form, this can lead to 40% more muscle mass.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Hi community,

I am trying to bulk up and weight training 4 times week. I dont follow any training program, I am trying to train each muscle once every week (arms, chest, back, shoulder and legs). I was wondering if I should train to failure during my workout? Is it really good to bulk up?

Thanks,
    Jamal

Training to failure on your big heavy lifts WILL tax your nervous system and actually make you lift less the next week. Always leave at least 1 rep in the tank on HEAVY BIG compound lifts. Accessory work to failure is fine.

And remember, to bulk up, you need EXCESS calories. And I also recommend a program such as Brandon Campbell's PHUL method (I personally use) or Stronglifts 5x5, or Jason Blaha's from Ice Cream Fitness.

Lifting more weight, will build more muscle.... it's pure science. Progressive overload.... not what this child above me is saying.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    You should definitely try to train to failure during each set. For no matter what exercise whether bench crls or rows the last reps should feel like the last possible rep. This will allow you to get the most out of your muscles. Also for gaining mass focus on time under tension, so slow down the movements and really focus on form, this can lead to 40% more muscle mass.
    No, no, no, no, no, and no.
    thats-broscience.jpg
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Should follow a training program. And hitting a single body part once per week is leaving a lot on the table. Can do better with 4 workouts.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Hi community,

Thanks,
    Jamal

You need to find a tried and true program and stick with it. A full body routine of compound exercises a few time a week will be better than some random split you made up.
    You aren't really training each muscle once a week. If you are benching you are hitting your tris too, lat pull/rows hit bis.
    Training to failure is not required.
  • nlcs_nickyv32
    Options
    I can give you some advice. It is basically a bodybuilder style workout divided into two days and you do it 4 times a week alternating days

Day 1: Upper Body
    Day 2: Lower Body

You don't need more than that. Typically you want to keep the range anywhere from 65-75% of your 1RM. Each workout is one for 3-4 sets with 8-12 reps. Don't worry about fitting every upper body workout into a day. You can alternate days like on Monday you do chest, arms and the next upper body day you do shoulders and back. Also pay attention to time under tension. The time under tension really helps with bulking. So example would be when you are benching at the from the top count to 3. So by the time you are at 3 you have the bar close to your chest. Hold the bar at the bottom of your bench and count to 3. Then push the bar up and count to 3. By the time you think 3, your arms should be extended. You don't have to count to 3 just keep a constant rhythm. Not too fast and not too slow either.

There is a diet change you need to go through as well. You will need to be taking in more calories than your maintenance. Carbs are your best friend while bulking. They are what helps build the muscle size. But choose between dirty or clean bulking. People who dirty bulk gain the size real fast but because the diet is unhealthy they also put on a lot of fat with it. Clean bulking is slower and helps keep your body fat from jumping up like crazy.
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Jamal_Guildford Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Should follow a training program. And hitting a single body part once per week is leaving a lot on the table. Can do better with 4 workouts.

I know I should follow a training program. Below is my training program, what do you think of it?

Monday: Workout A on machines: Arm Curl (6x8), Lat pull (6x8), Dips (6x8), Lying Triceps (6x8), Shoulder press (6x8), Chin up (6x8), Cardio (20 minutes running)
    Tuesday: moderate cardio (cycling 26 miles)
    Wednesday: Free weights work out: Arm Curl (6x8), Tricep Extensions (6x8), Bench press (6x8), Crunch (6x30), Shoulder press (6x8), Lying Fly (6x8), Supine bicep curl (6x8), Squat (6x8)
    Thursday: moderate cardio (cycling 26 miles)
    Friday: Workout B on machines: Leg press (6x8), Leg Curls (6x8), Chest press (6x8), Chest fly (6x8), Arm Curl (6x8), Leg raise (6x8), Cardio (20 minutes running).
    Saturday: rest day
    Sunday: Workout A

And the following week I switch workout A with workout B. I am trying to do each set at my maximum (sometimes I only manage to do 3 reps).
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Options
    I can give you some advice. It is basically a bodybuilder style workout divided into two days and you do it 4 times a week alternating days

You don't need more than that. Typically you want to keep the range anywhere from 65-75% of your 1RM. Each workout is one for 3-4 sets with 8-12 reps. Don't worry about fitting every upper body workout into a day. You can alternate days like on Monday you do chest, arms and the next upper body day you do shoulders and back. Also pay attention to time under tension. The time under tension really helps with bulking. So example would be when you are benching at the from the top count to 3. So by the time you are at 3 you have the bar close to your chest. Hold the bar at the bottom of your bench and count to 3. Then push the bar up and count to 3. By the time you think 3, your arms should be extended. You don't have to count to 3 just keep a constant rhythm. Not too fast and not too slow either.

There is a diet change you need to go through as well. You will need to be taking in more calories than your maintenance. Carbs are your best friend while bulking. They are what helps build the muscle size. But choose between dirty or clean bulking. People who dirty bulk gain the size real fast but because the diet is unhealthy they also put on a lot of fat with it. Clean bulking is slower and helps keep your body fat from jumping up like crazy.

Thanks for your reponse. For the training program, I have my own routines (see below):

Monday: Workout A on machines: Arm Curl (6x8), Lat pull (6x8), Dips (6x8), Lying Triceps (6x8), Shoulder press (6x8), Chin up (6x8), Cardio (20 minutes running)
    Wednesday: Free weights work out: Arm Curl (6x8), Tricep Extensions (6x8), Bench press (6x8), Crunch (6x30), Shoulder press (6x8), Lying Fly (6x8), Supine bicep curl (6x8), Squat (6x8)
    Friday: Workout B on machines: Leg press (6x8), Leg Curls (6x8), Chest press (6x8), Chest fly (6x8), Arm Curl (6x8), Leg raise (6x8), Cardio (20 minutes running).

And the following week I switch workout A with workout B. I am trying to do each set at my maximum (sometimes I only manage to do 3 reps).

I didnt know about the time under tension. So if I want to gain strength and muscle size, should I increase or decrease the time under tension?

As for diets, I eat around 2600kcal per day: 2 breakfast, lunch, dinner and sometimes a post workout drink. I am trying to have a high protein diet: protein (eggs, tuna, chicken, yoghurt, nuts and whey protein), carbs (bread, veg, yoghurt and nuts), fat (milk and nuts) and my treats (beer and chocolate)
  • nlcs_nickyv32
    Options

Thanks for your reponse. For the training program, I have my own routines (see below):

I didnt know about the time under tension. So if I want to gain strength and muscle size, should I increase or decrease the time under tension?

As for diets, I eat around 2600kcal per day: 2 breakfast, lunch, dinner and sometimes a post workout drink. I am trying to have a high protein diet: protein (eggs, tuna, chicken, yoghurt, nuts and whey protein), carbs (bread, veg, yoghurt and nuts), fat (milk and nuts) and my treats (beer and chocolate)

Your routine looks okay, some advice: really cut back on Cardio. If you are trying to bulk, cardio is your enemy. If your gym lets you add deadlift as well.

About your volume it is a little high. I really recommend you do no more than 4 sets. For weight, if you can't do at least 8 reps it is to heavy. You only come close to your max IF you are training for strength and only do it for your big lifts aka squats, bench, deadlift.

As for time under tension increase while you are bulking and decrease while you are doing strength. The reason being that when you are bulking the weight is lower than that of strength. It's hard to do both bulking and strength with out changing your routine. But people usually switch every 2-3 months between bulk and strength.

For diet I recommend that you go 300 calories over your maintenance to start out with. See if you gain mass if not increase by another 200. You have to eat more to bulk. So if you can keep your weight the same with a 2600kcal diet, bump it up to 2900 for two weeks see if that has any impact on trying to increase weight. Sometimes you might need a +3000kcal diet to bulk it depends on how your body reacts to a slightly higher calorie count.
  • elvis67
    elvis67 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    As a beginner there’s no need to train to failure. Focus on compound movements (Deadlifts, Squats, Overhead Press, Bench Press, and Barbell Rows). A couple of comments about your program, you are training one of your smallest muscles (bicep) 3x s a week which is too much. Second, your often training smaller muscle groups ahead of larger ones (i.e training tri’s ahead of chest). By the time you do your chest your tris are already exhausted which will affect your bench since the triceps are an auxiliary muscle in the bench. Train big to small muscles and either stick with focus on push muscles (Chest, shoulders, tris) pull (back, biceps) or a variation of pull/push like a chest exercise followed by a back exercise. Additionally, at others have stated you need to eat at a surplus, your calories in must exceed calories burnt, so keep an eye on how much cardio you doing.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

What it really sounds like is that you're not open to feedback on your training routine but your training routine is not good. If you're not a beginner and you're focused on size then checkout Layne Norton's routine "Phat" or something like 5/3/1 Boring But Big or 5/3/1 First Set Last with Joker sets (Beyond 5/3/1 ebook). If you are a beginner, then there's already enough good advice here. The biggest question is your nutrition and just make sure you're eating enough. Cardio... yeah I think you might have too much cardio in there. Stick to HIIT of some kind 3 to 4 times a week 20 - 30min's at a time.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    As a beginner there’s no need to train to failure. Focus on compound movements (Deadlifts, Squats, Overhead Press, Bench Press, and Barbell Rows). A couple of comments about your program, you are training one of your smallest muscles (bicep) 3x s a week which is too much. Second, your often training smaller muscle groups ahead of larger ones (i.e training tri’s ahead of chest). By the time you do your chest your tris are already exhausted which will affect your bench since the triceps are an auxiliary muscle in the bench. Train big to small muscles and either stick with focus on push muscles (Chest, shoulders, tris) pull (back, biceps) or a variation of pull/push like a chest exercise followed by a back exercise. Additionally, at others have stated you need to eat at a surplus, your calories in must exceed calories burnt, so keep an eye on how much cardio you doing.

I agree with all this.

Some of the advice in this thread is all over the place.

Don't try and re-invent the wheel, its already been done. Stick with compound movements. Stick with a program proven to show results (stronglifts, starting strength, ICF, etc...) and most important eat!!!

Eat, lift, sleep, eat....doesn't need to be more complicated then that.

Gradually increase calories based of your Maintenance (if you know what that is) until you start seeing changes.

Don't stress about clean and dirty bulking, it's not that important at this stage.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Probably not enough frequency.
    Probably not enough food.
    Probably not an optimal plan for gaining mass.
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Options

You will probably think this is psychological but I train biceps 3 times a week because I find my arms far too skinny and I want them to get bigger. What is tjrs?

Ok for the food, I think I am going to increase my calorie intake.

thanks for your advice
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Options

Your routine looks okay, some advice: really cut back on Cardio. If you are trying to bulk, cardio is your enemy. If your gym lets you add deadlift as well.

About your volume it is a little high. I really recommend you do no more than 4 sets. For weight, if you can't do at least 8 reps it is to heavy. You only come close to your max IF you are training for strength and only do it for your big lifts aka squats, bench, deadlift.

As for time under tension increase while you are bulking and decrease while you are doing strength. The reason being that when you are bulking the weight is lower than that of strength. It's hard to do both bulking and strength with out changing your routine. But people usually switch every 2-3 months between bulk and strength.

For diet I recommend that you go 300 calories over your maintenance to start out with. See if you gain mass if not increase by another 200. You have to eat more to bulk. So if you can keep your weight the same with a 2600kcal diet, bump it up to 2900 for two weeks see if that has any impact on trying to increase weight. Sometimes you might need a +3000kcal diet to bulk it depends on how your body reacts to a slightly higher calorie count.

Thanks for your advice and the tip about the time under tension. I will try to increase in my work out routines. For the diet, I am planning to increase my calorie intake in the next weeks.

But I made good progress recently: increase the load, need less time between sets :).
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I would focus less on machines and switch to free weights. Google Starting Strength v1 or StrongLifts 5x5 and follow the program - it focuses on the main compound lifts as suggested above and has you progressively load the weight to increase strength and, if you eat enough, mass.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options

You will probably think this is psychological but I train biceps 3 times a week because I find my arms far too skinny and I want them to get bigger. What is tjrs?

thanks for your advice

If you want bigger arms cut down the isolation work and stick with the compound movements.

Also, focus on the triceps and not the Biceps, since it's 2/3 of your arm.

I curl maybe once every few weeks for fun....If Biceps training is your thing, do chin ups 3 times a week instead.

and you gotta eat to add mass......
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Try a programme, instead of doing your own thing.

I second upper/lower split if you've exhausted beginners gains?
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Options

thanks for your advice

If you want bigger arms cut down the isolation work and stick with the compound movements.

I curl maybe once every few weeks for fun....If Biceps training is your thing, do chin ups 3 times a week instead.

Thanks for your advice mate. I will reduce arm curl then.
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Options

thanks for your advice

If the tricep is 2/3 of my arm. Why wouldn't I do more dips instead of chin up? In my, chin up works out the back, no?