Wine people! C'mere!

Options
Hello fellow wine lovers! I have a BIG issue with wine. I mean I don't get drunk every night or anything like that but I think I crave it every day. I just love to enjoy a glass (o 3!) while I make dinner in the evenings. But I hate how it's full of empty calories which I don't need! I think come 5pm my body just automatically knows it's "wine time!"

How do I break this habit??????? My soda habit I broke instantly but the wine is a whole different story. I don't even get buzzed off of it, I just enjoy having it!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!:sad: :sad: :drinker: :drinker:

Replies

• dericcarson
    dericcarson Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Love wine myself!! I just usually limit to either weekends or only 1 glass on weekdays. Its very relaxing after a day of work while you are making dinner....as long as you stay under your calorie goal I do not see a problem (and dont drive of course) :)
  • orangeyoshi
    orangeyoshi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem.. but with BEER.. so I also need help lol
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Red wine does have some benefits to it. You have made drinking wine a habit ( I was the same way) . What you need to do is find alternatives to the wine. I used to love a glass at night after dinner when I was winding down. I now have herbal tea instead.
  • Rjperron
    Rjperron Posts: 150
    Options
    I'm a huge wino too! Two things have helped me cut back on my habit:

1. keep a drink in hand. sip water at all times so that your hands are busy. I even sip sparkling water in a wine glass sometimes while I'm cooking (also a big wine time for me).

2. buy better wine. You're less likely to overindulge when every sip is a yummy little indulgence. I an satisfied after one glass of wine if it's the good stuff. If you're worried about it going bad, invest in a wine fridge or wine saver.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    According to various sites, non-alcoholic wine has much fewer calories in it. If you're actually drinking it for the taste not the buzz, try non-alcoholic wine.
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Too funny - I just gave up on the idea of giving up the wine :)
    Good luck.
  • kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I just make sure I allow it in my calorie count. It's pretty important to me! I have a craft beer or glass of wine every day, so I either save the calories, or make sure I exercise them off so I can have it. Not willing to give it up, and don't feel like I have to.
  • kristenskinner
    Options
    One glass of wine is the equivalent of one and a half donuts!! I know it's tasty but just try thinking of what you are really doing to your body in terms of setting you back in reaching your weight loss goals. Sometimes that's what helps me the most.
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    We're kindred spirits! :bigsmile:

I solved the wine issue by drinking Vodka some nights. :wink:
  • nhuie
    nhuie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I feel ya! My girlfriends love to get to get together for happy hour a couple times a week, so I've definitely had to limit going out to avoid the temptation. I've been able to limit wine (or an alcoholic drink in general) to one to two days a week. I think it makes me enjoy it even more since I've been looking forward to it for a couple days! I've learned that you can't deprive yourself of the things you enjoy the most, you just have to enjoy it in moderation. I usually have some type of event once a week so I plan my day ahead of time to allow for the extra calories of wine!
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Me too.. gave up trying to give it up. :laugh:
    I just make sure I count it in my calorie alottment for the day and also make sure I get exercise calories in.

I don't believe in total depravation. My personal experience is that eliminating everything sets me up for guaranteed failure. I think as long as you plan for it with your meals and exercise and stay under your calorie count, it's not a bad thing.
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big wine drinker myself, but I do remember from back when I used to go to WW meetings, that they suggested you do wine spritzers instead. I think if I remember correctly it was half wine half club soda. Maybe give that a try??
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    Oh sure, lock your food diary so we can't see how much wine you're having...:laugh:
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I was also going to suggest the spritzer idea, or one of my friend's fill's her glass 1/2 ice and then pours 1/2 wine over it. As the ice melts she is still having her wine, tastes good but not as many calories.
  • cookingcriolla
    Options
    Ooh,maybe the increase in wine has contributed to my weight gain! LOL, oh well, have to finish up the open bottle. I would suggestion cutting down to say maybe 4 oz. while cooking dinner and switch to selzter. In the past when I chose to stop drinking due to WW I would trick my friends by mixing seltzer and diet cranberry and they thought I was drinking so I didn't get the constant Come one have a drink, it worked and everyone was happy.
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    I like the spritzer idea!
    I'm totally opposite though! Right now I'm trying to incorporate a glass of wine a couple nights a week but can't seem to discipline myself to waste/spare the calories for it. My husband has a jack and diet coke a few nights a week, and I wanna have happy hour with him, but I just haven't done it yet. Maybe tonight!

Alcohol is a habit and it can be harder to break than other habits, but if you can eat like a normal person, you can drink like a normal person, I believe. It is imperative to realize the biological and chemical links which chain us to our choices and that is where we find the power to break them. It is not easy, but is possible. People do it everyday!
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    ooh! Another thing! I come across it lots in the forums: who are these friends we have to lie to about our choices? Gosh, I get so annoyed by the people in our lives who do not support our positive changes. Comments/stories?
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Today is Day 16 for me with no wine! I used to drink a glass ....or two every night with dinner and a little more on weekends.

I figured I would give it up and see if it helps with weight loss. I also gave up coffee at the same time and I'm doing just fine.

I fill my wine glass with water and drink from that.

Karen
  • cupajoe
    cupajoe Posts: 155
    Options
    I'm a wino as well:) I try and limit it to one or two drinks a week. Sunday is our day that I spend with my parents, siblings, bro-sis in law...and we all like to have a drink together so I plan ahead for that. Also on certain days, today for instance-kids have no school due to ice-it's cold-won't be going anywhere and a glass of wine just sounds nice so I will probably make sure I have enough calories left over for me to curl up with a movie and a glass of wine tonight if I so desire. You don't have to ban wine from your diet, just try to make it your special treat once in a while:)
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Drinking wine after installing a wine cellar in my kitchen helped me gain 50 pounds. I absolutely had to kick the habit. Craving wine is partly craving sugar. i cut down on my sugar intake and started taking cinnamon capsules to regulate my blood sugar and kill the cravings. That's what has worked for me.