30 day Shred

Options
Any of you that have done the 30 day Shred...... I did my first night last Wednesday and was unable to exercise at all (or walk properly) on Thursday or Friday due to my upper legs being so sore. I want to get back at it tonight but am scared it's going to put me out of commission for a couple days again? Anyone else have similar problem and did you get sore all over again after you did it the 2nd time??

Replies

• andsassman
    Options
    It's a butt kicker for sure! I was really sore after my first few times, but you just have to push through. You'll be surprised how quickly your muscles will adjust if you keep at it. My best advice would be go for a nice long walk the day after the shred if you are worried about being sore and don't want to push it too much. At a brisk pace you will still burn some calories and help your muscles loosen up! I'm on week 5 and about to jump up to level 3. I'm extremely nervous about it being too hard, but hopefully I'll make it! Good luck to you!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you did the squats improperly. You either went too low, beyond your body’s ability especially if you are new to working out or your knees buckled in front of you (they went over your ankles rather than you keeping your legs in the same place a 90 degree angle and pushing your bum to the back) which is also bad form that can cause injury. I did that the first time I tried it b/c I’m all about cardio and figured I can bend whatever way I want – wrong. Rest up and go back to it but do it SLOWLY. It’s more important to do it right than do it fast. If you have to pause it at the beginning to learn than go for it. You'll pick it up soon enough then feel the good pain, the mild soreness that you know it’s working but not hurting.

Make sure you do the shred to supplement regular exercise. It only burns a measly 150 cals for me in the full 26 minutes (5'8, 138lbs) so you really need some cardio added into your week.

Good luck!
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I was sore the first few times too, but I felt great by day 4, stick with it!
  • alyssa83202
    Options
    I thought that it was really hard the first time I did it, but I've never ended up being really sore after it! Like a person before me said, make sure you are doing the workouts slowly and correctly so you don't get hurt! Maybe you could also do a few extra minutes of warm up and cool down?
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you did the squats improperly. You either went too low, beyond your body’s ability especially if you are new to working out or your knees buckled in front of you (they went over your ankles rather than you keeping your legs in the same place a 90 degree angle and pushing your bum to the back) which is also bad form that can cause injury. I did that the first time I tried it b/c I’m all about cardio and figured I can bend whatever way I want – wrong. Rest up and go back to it but do it SLOWLY. It’s more important to do it right than do it fast. If you have to pause it at the beginning to learn than go for it. You'll pick it up soon enough then feel the good pain, the mild soreness that you know it’s working but not hurting.

Make sure you do the shred to supplement regular exercise. It only burns a measly 150 cals for me in the full 26 minutes (5'8, 138lbs) so you really need some cardio added into your week.

Good luck!

Just as a contrast, I'm 155lbs and 5ft 9 &1/2 and my HRM gives me between 270 and 300 cals (after deducting my BMR cals) for level 1 and closer to 350 for levels 2 and 3.
  • tiffsNEWlife
    Options
    The first day I did this, I was really sore too. But I did it a second day and it didn't hurt nearly as bad. Just keep with it and it gets so much easier the more you do it.
  • Frozenmango
    Frozenmango Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I just started doing it on Saturday myself and I too had sore quad muscles, but not unbearably so. A lot of it is your body adjusting to working those muscles. Soreness is sadly a side effect, but it will pass. Try to get lots of water in as well as potassium (from bananas or a supplement) to help with the lactic acid in your muscles. After about a week, you should start to feel that soreness ease as your body adjusts. Give it another try, but like the poster above said, take your time if you need to so you don't put yourself out of commission. Good luck!
  • Bethy25
    Bethy25 Posts: 73
    Options
    Thanks Ladies! I'll watch my form on the squats...and for some reason the "jump roping" was really hard for me. The Shred is only to supplement my regular elliptical cardio and to change things up a bit. I typically do 30 min of elliptical every other night and want to fill the shred in the off night so I dont get bored on my elliptical. :smile:
  • marrieandfive
    Options
    I just completed day six (with one rest day and one day where I did other stuff instead) and today I felt like "wow this is easier now"...But the first day I thought I would die, the second day I was sore, and the third day I couldn't straighten out my arms and took that rest day! Just keep at it and it WILL get easier!
  • shannontatana
    shannontatana Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Im starting the DVD tomorrow... and feeling a little scared.... wish me luck!
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I had problems with my knees the first month I started doing the Shred. I had to back off for a bit and slowly get back into it. I think part of my problem was not drinking enough water, needig better shoes and learning proper form. Good luck!
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    Thanks Ladies! I'll watch my form on the squats...and for some reason the "jump roping" was really hard for me.

I am with you on that! I think it is one of the hardest parts on the DVD! Now I am doing CardioMax (Biggest Loser) and I can do the jump rope and jumping jacks without a problem now! So it will get easier!
  • susanebere
    susanebere Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I did it over the course of last year, beginning in January...didn't get to Level three until September. I had times that I had to take off...dislocated knee in Level 2 for one. When I really got into Level Three and my core was really tight, I started having bouts of gastric reflux. It may be my age (almost 58) but it subsided after a week off...then when I went back to it, it started again. :-( I miss it. Level Three was the most fun of the workouts. Now I'm just doing a variety of things on Exercise TV. Great, fun stuff there...including Jillian.
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I made a huge mistake of doing two rounds of level one, back to back my first night...I was sore for probably 4 or 5 days...but they say it is better to keep working out to get rid of the lactic acid built up in your muscles...which will eventually lessen the soreness...

It was hard for me to keep going, because my whole body felt like I had been run over...but I did it...
  • jacque1109
    Options
    OMG! I was about to make this same EXACT post--- it has been 5 days since I've done it and I'm finally back to normal. I'm going to do it again tonight but really stretch before and afterwards and not push myself as hard.
  • MamaJess
    MamaJess Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Any of you that have done the 30 day Shred...... I did my first night last Wednesday and was unable to exercise at all (or walk properly) on Thursday or Friday due to my upper legs being so sore. I want to get back at it tonight but am scared it's going to put me out of commission for a couple days again? Anyone else have similar problem and did you get sore all over again after you did it the 2nd time??

The trick is to stick with it even through the pain. and do more stretches at the end of the work out to prevent so much pain and soreness. Also, get some muscle rub for your legs like sports cream. That stuff is awesome. The longer you wait to work out again though the more pain you will be in. If you go at it for 3 day and then take a rest day and stick with a routine like that your muscles will become more able to handle the workouts and you will be happier I promise, unless a doctor tells you other wise due to health reasons that we are unaware of on here. Good luck and have fun with it.
  • jeannine1125
    jeannine1125 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ok... so I have been walking on my treadmill 5 out of 7 days ( 40 minutes 3.5 -3.8 mph ) and 1 night of hot yoga for 2 weeks now...only lost 1 lb.... so I am looking for something else.... should I go out and buy this dvd?? I just tried her yoga melt down and SHRED weights 1 on exercise TV.... I liked them both ALOT... and really sweated!!!What do you think?
  • Bethy25
    Bethy25 Posts: 73
    Options
    Ok... so I have been walking on my treadmill 5 out of 7 days ( 40 minutes 3.5 -3.8 mph ) and 1 night of hot yoga for 2 weeks now...only lost 1 lb.... so I am looking for something else.... should I go out and buy this dvd?? I just tried her yoga melt down and SHRED weights 1 on exercise TV.... I liked them both ALOT... and really sweated!!!What do you think?

I was really sweaty after my 1st workout and my heartrate was up! I am not sure of your situation, but I have a decent chunk of weight to loose and am not very active so it was a hard workout for me. I think once I get into it a little more and and my legs stop burning, it will be a great DVD for me. Especially for the price (only $9 at Wal-Mart)!
  • karsmith0513
    Options
    i love jilian's shred. I did really good last spring. started saturday and my legs were sore and sore to walk but i know it's because i haven't did anything. try keeping your moves at low impact until after a week. try using a chair to hold onto for your squats either at one or whatever number you want to accomplish. there is no shame in aid or low impact until your body acclimates. stay strong.
  • adawn09
    adawn09 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This dvd is amazing. This workout is what actually helped me lose 20 pounds along with eating healthy. The first week I was so sore. I never really worked out until I got this dvd and it was tough. Once you get your body used to working out it doesn't really make you sore the next day, but it still kicks your butt! I couldn't do level 1 before and now I can go through level 3 (although it's still pretty tough). One thing I did to help with the soreness was doing more stretches afterward, because I felt like her cool-down wasn't quite long enough. Good luck with it, the soreness is worth the results! =)