i am very discouraged

Options
I was doing so well, lost 6 lbs my 2nd week of being on this site. I am sticking to my cal intake (1400) Somedays Im right there other days im 100 cals low, but in general Im sticking to it. I try to get to the gym 3 days out of the 7 im just really busy but usually im good with that. I just gained 1 lb and I know this happens but from what!!!! everyday I have
100 cal English muffin with 2 tbls of butter
=170
3/4 cup of cheerios no milk
= 110
ziplock baggie full of fruit
=60 cals
Home made salad with light dressing
= 110 cals
Mandarin orange fruit cup
=70 cals

= 520
Then whatever for dinner,(okay not whatever but I mean i stay within my cals) but Ive been under in cals. Not starvation under but maybe @ 1200 or 1300

I try to do light excersize b4 bed to. nothing extreme just enough to get my heart going.

where am i going wrong!???! :grumble:

Replies

• byn101
    byn101 Posts: 31
    Options
    I was doing so well, lost 6 lbs my 2nd week of being on this site. I am sticking to my cal intake (1400) Somedays Im right there other days im 100 cals low, but in general Im sticking to it. I try to get to the gym 3 days out of the 7 im just really busy but usually im good with that. I just gained 1 lb and I know this happens but from what!!!! everyday I have
    100 cal English muffin with 2 tbls of butter
    =170
    3/4 cup of cheerios no milk
    = 110
    ziplock baggie full of fruit
    =60 cals
    Home made salad with light dressing
    = 110 cals
    Mandarin orange fruit cup
    =70 cals

= 520
    Then whatever for dinner,(okay not whatever but I mean i stay within my cals) but Ive been under in cals. Not starvation under but maybe @ 1200 or 1300

I try to do light excersize b4 bed to. nothing extreme just enough to get my heart going.

where am i going wrong!???! :grumble:
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    are you logging your exercise calories and eating those, too?
  • rosemarymint
    rosemarymint Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Could it be about that TOM?
  • Skittles6617
    Skittles6617 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Try not to eat the same things everyday. Change it up a bit. Your body will get used to it and stabalize. I have found that the key for me is to change up everything (food, exercise, time of exercise) every few days to kind of shock your system so it keeps the metabolism going.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough! At your age and relatively low amount of weight you wish to lose, you need to eat more--maybe 1500 or 1600 a day.

Also, vary your diet! Your body is getting used to your routine!

And, a lot of fruit there and why no milk? Your body, especially as a woman, needs that calcium.

AND, I bet your sodium intake is high--muffins with 2 tablespoons of butter??? Watch that sodium intake!!

Try to vary your foods and make healthier choices. Milk isn't evil...use something else other than butter. Use whole wheat bread/muffins, etc. Fruit is ok but even that must be in moderation.....

Finally --1200-1300 calories a day is too little for you--Given your age and amount you wish to lose, you should be looking at 1400-1500 if not 1600 a day calories. If you're active during the day, you should be looking at 1500 or 1600 or so a day. If you're very active, then even more! You're needing 1600 or so a day. Anything less would be too much of a deficit. You are running the risk of not giving your body enough fuel to keep going; which can force it into starvation mode.

You should be thinking of losing no more than 1/2 pound to 1 pound a week.

Please realize that 1200 calories a day is for people who have a lot to lose--like me. People who are younger and/or only have a small amount to lose should not be cutting back that much.

Please read the post linked below. It really will help you understand.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/20035-just-because-you-can-have-a-2-pound-per-week-goal
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your dinner looks like but where's the protein???

Also, variety is a good idea - read somewhere you should try to do 3 different types of food choices each meal, about 35 different foods each week! I know that sounds like a lot but it's a goal.

Also another suggestion -- you should eat probably 5-6x a day.. that could help -- eating all at once will cause the body to store fat and the numbers you have suggest you are hovering at your body's idea of starvation...

Good luck, keep trying new things and let us know how things work!

Oh and I see shorerider posted this but I am going to add as well 1200 isn't enough!! I hope I don't sound crabby just concerned.
  • byn101
    Options
    !! Thank you all for your input, My goals are 1400 cals. Im not active at all throughout the day I have a desk job. That is why I set them for 1400. I am intolerant to dairy so thats why no milk. I can eat some dairy foods but most I have a hard time with.
    The muffin is whole wheat to! Ive read the article on eating your excerisize cals but It didnt make much sence to me. I have 2 weeks untill my TOM so I ruled that out :)
    But I will def. Increase my cal intake although it just seems like ALOT more to go anywhere higher then 1400 I started at 1800 and I could hardly get past 1600 so this is why I lowered it. 1400 suits me well. Im not Hungry after the days over and im not "full" Im just right.
    I have to get back to work. But I really do appreciate the input! I will try to up it 100 more cals a day (1500) and switch up my meals. its just easier for me to eat the same thing daily so i get into routien that way Im not going over. does that make sence?

thank you guys you are all amazing:drinker:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    !! Thank you all for your input, My goals are 1400 cals. Im not active at all throughout the day I have a desk job. That is why I set them for 1400. I am intolerant to dairy so thats why no milk. I can eat some dairy foods but most I have a hard time with.
    The muffin is whole wheat to! Ive read the article on eating your excerisize cals but It didnt make much sence to me. I have 2 weeks untill my TOM so I ruled that out :)
    But I will def. Increase my cal intake although it just seems like ALOT more to go anywhere higher then 1400 I started at 1800 and I could hardly get past 1600 so this is why I lowered it. 1400 suits me well. Im not Hungry after the days over and im not "full" Im just right.
    I have to get back to work. But I really do appreciate the input! I will try to up it 100 more cals a day (1500) and switch up my meals. its just easier for me to eat the same thing daily so i get into routien that way Im not going over. does that make sence?

thank you guys you are all amazing:drinker:

Gotta eat your exercise calories or else you are not "eating" 1400 a day but 1400 minus your exercise calories, which means you could be putting your body into a HUGE deficit.

also, the routine might be easy for you but trust me, your body will get used to it and adjust and this could be a BIG cause of not losing. You have to keep your body guessing--switch up food, switch up exercising, etc. etc. etc. If it gets used to something, it will settle in and be quite content as it is....

If you can't drink milk, have you tried Soy milk? I love the stuff! My doc recommended it because I'm probably pre-menopausal. I didn't think I'd like it but it's delicious! No lactose, so no issues there.

As for TOM, I find I usually retain fluids up to 2 weeks out from TOM and then drop it all about 3 days prior, so could be it anyway?
  • shanagregory
    Options
    You might want to increase your protein! Protein and working out with weights will help burn more calories for you too. :) It's only your second week too, so dont be so hard on yourself! Usually your body has to adjust and can take up to 3 months before you start seeing some big results. Try measuring yourself too and not looking so much at the scale but inches. :) Keep moving forward and stay strong!

Shana
  • byn101
    Options
    okay so if I eat 1400 cals a day then goto the gym and burn 400 cals I should re eat 400 cals so pretty much 1800 cals that day?
    I have not had milk in cereal EVER lol and I have tried soy milk in coffee and I likeit fine, im just really scared to try it on its own..but if i must, I will.

I want to loose 60 lbs all in all, when i joined here they told me i should only consume 1200 but i bumped it up. so thats another reason why i really have a hard time with the idea of bumping it up higher, but i will switch up my meals any ideas would be great since im really PICKY really really picky.
    & I know it takes time<-- but i guess im indenial because the first lbs came off so easily..
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Hey byn, I need to lose 60 lbs as well! You do have all the tools and resources here to make it happen! My only advice would be that you didn't put it all in a month, so be patient. I know that's difficult because you see so many success stories, but if you stay the course, and aim for a pound a week, then you can honestly start to plan BOTH exercise and food much better! :drinker: