A question for fellow binge eaters

Options
i'm sure this has been posted before so i apologize in advance lol.

how'd you kick your habit?

for me, i like to find out little tips and tricks to assist with kickin hard habits because i have a hard time with just 'shutting up and doing it' lol. i used to bite my nails like crazy and now i paint them religiously so i won't bite them. its worked pretty well so far lol

so does anyone have any tips or tricks? little sayings you repeat to yourself when you want to eat everything on earth?

please be nice. im not lookin for 'stop shoving your face' or anything harsh. i'm not new to weight loss and i understand calories in vs. calories out. the other day i burned 1300 calories and STILL overate haha. and yes, i'm recording things acurately with my polar hrm.

Replies

• niecey61
    niecey61 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Well, for me it's usually something "eating at me" not the actual food I want since I'm usually not hungry. It's either habit, boredom, anxiety, etc. I'm just starting to try and figure it out so I started counseling. I also see a Nutritionist at the counseling place and she has told me 2 important things so far. Don't restrict severely (I am a restrict/binger, restrict/binger, etc.) as long as its in my calorie count and try a website called doyogawithme
    It has meditation exercises on there via you tube so I am going to start using that and see if it helps.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I try not to have stuff in the house I cant handle like chocolate cake. I bring me one piece home from the store. I buy chips in small bags and seem to do ok with this. I tell myself I have to take care of myself, this sometimes works. I also try to distract myself with other stuff, going bike riding, gym, shopping. When I want ice cream, I go buy one cone.
  • SloRunner25
    SloRunner25 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Pre-portioning any trigger foods helps and pushing it to the back of the cabinet/fridge where I can't see it helps a lot for me. Out of sight, out of mind! Also I just try to reason with myself when I want to eat the world. It's hard and sometimes I lose. It's a constant battle until I learn new habits. Good luck!
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Don't buy binge-worthy food. If you want to binge on something you have to go to the trouble of going to the store and buying it, or making it from scratch.

Eat protein (the energy is slow to come on but lasts longer than carbs and doesn't put you on a glucose/insulin roller coaster).

Identify any patterns or triggers to your binging and avoid or disrupt those patterns. Eg if you are always ravenous at 8 pm eat a bunch of protein at 6 pm and no carbs after. If fights with your significant other drive you to chocolate, figure out an alternative stress relief such as 200 calories on a treadmill (or punching sandbags?) before you are allowed to have it.

add: if you are craving a specific food, have that food, don't try to substitute other things first. You'll just eat the other things, be unsatisfied, and wind up eating the craved food at the end anyway.
  • zericaaaaa
    zericaaaaa Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    YES! thanks guys, i'm hearing a lot of helpful stuff here. i am definitely gonna try to just get single servings of the foods i love, thats a good idea. and the meditation is something i want to try as well. i appreciate all the feedback, thank you all :)
  • RachelWithoutAPaddle
    RachelWithoutAPaddle Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I ask myself this every day. I pre-portion my food if it isn't already. If i buy something loose, I will put each serving into little individual bags inside the box so I process just how much I'm eating. If you have your day of food portioned from the night before it helps soooooooo much.
  • yesterdayusaid2morrow
    Options
    Things that have helped me personally,
    1. Picking up a green tea habit
    2. Gum, **** tons of gum
    3. Putting away any leftovers right away after cooking
    4. If it's something you feel you may have a hard time resisting, don't bring it home (maybe enjoy it occasionally while out to eat)
    5. Brush your teeth tight after you eat (your teeth will be dazzling::)
    6. Split an entree with a friend/lova when eating out
    7. When you feel restless/anxious and snacky go out for a walk/bike ride immediately or call a friend or family member you haven't chatted in a while.
    8. Make a list of your motivations and hand it on your fridge/cabinet where visible.
    9. Know that you can overcome this if you set your mind to it, seek out inspirational success stories to remind you.
    10. Maybe keep a few healthy, portioned snacks on hand or a nice bowl of fruit.

You can do this! Believe in yourself. :)
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Buy only individually wrapped desserts/bakery item once or twice a week as treats; they can be fancy and a bit pricier. The point is to focus and appreciate foods that are higher in quality, not quantity.
    Don't buy or keep around any processed snack foods at all.
    Eat mostly whole unprocessed foods.
    Typical sweet desserts are only for special occasions; daily desserts are fruits.
    It's okay to indulge a bit at celebrations, parties, potlucks, or similar event but outside of those events, eat primarily main large meals (with lots of vegetables and fruits and fats and proteins to keep full) with no snacking in between.

Those are the rules I follow. I don't binge anymore and I don't feel the need to binge either. :)
  • kellyjw84
    kellyjw84 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    For me it's having a good support system. I would talk to my sister about having bad days and she would say "log it" There were days I was eating 3,500+ calories a day (That's at least 2 lbs gained a week at that rate!) after awhile I just realized what I was doing to myself.... and I said "No more." Now Before I eat anything I tell myself... do you want to be happy for 5 minutes or happy for years to come?
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I started by not buying my trigger foods anymore. And I've also noticed since I stopped drinking diet pop and incorporated more fruits and vegetables in my diet that I don't get the cravings anymore. Plus I can actually stop eating because I'm satisfied with a portion of the trigger foods. And I logged what I ate when I binged. It is hard and it takes time, but it is totally possible to stop binging and still enjoy the foods you want. I could seriously go to the store and buy $50 worth of food and eat it in one sitting. Which adds, think of the money you'll save lol.
  • zericaaaaa
    Options
    i think logging my binges will help. i never ever ever log them. because i know that number will terrify me. i think that logging it, combined with getting exercise when i wanna binge, talking about how i feel, and buying pre packaged treats (and planning them lol) will really help. i can do this!! i know i can! thanks for the support, beautiful people
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I put my "trigger" foods (lookin' at you, peanut butter) in another room - just having out out of the kitchen was really helpful. I stock the kitchen full of easy-to-reach-for fruits and raw veggies so I won't be tempted by "there's nothing else to munch on". Celery is really helpful for me. Iced coffee too.

Also I ask myself "am I hungry enough to eat _________", usually a food I'm not crazy about. If the answer is no, I'm not hungry. If the answer is yes, I need to make a snack or have some iced coffee.

I also don't purchase snacks that are going to be binge foods - cereal, chips, etc. Other people might be able to "moderate", but I know myself well enough to know that it's all going to be gone in one sitting - and there goes $6 for that box of cereal. I allow myself one day a week to have a "treat" - like a big box of Mike and Ikes or something, but otherwise, it doesn't come in the house.
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I find myself bingeing when i'm alone in the house.... which as a teacher... I can be home during the day sometimes for a whole month at a time...^^

So what I do is if I find myself eating too many chocolate covered almonds or some other snack food my wife decided to keep in the house.... I first put it out of reach.....however, if that doesn't work...

What I have found myself doing is destroying the food... I know it kind of sad... but more then one cake has gone under water..... in my house...

--ms
  • yesterdayusaid2morrow
    Options
    I find myself bingeing when i'm alone in the house.... which as a teacher... I can be home during the day sometimes for a whole month at a time...^^

So what I do is if I find myself eating too many chocolate covered almonds or some other snack food my wife decided to keep in the house.... I first put it out of reach.....however, if that doesn't work...

What I have found myself doing is destroying the food... I know it kind of sad... but more then one cake has gone under water..... in my house...

--ms

Haha, I do this too. The way I look at it, it's either wasted in the trash or wasted on my *kitten*.
  • kelseyleota
    kelseyleota Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this- I am a closet binge-eater. Eat well during the day and then get home (or on my way home) and get caught up. I hide packaging and receipts like they are drugs lol. I never log my binges. Its been hard lately because I have been a lot more stressed but these replies seem like great ideas. I'll have to pre portion out all my foods.
  • nykismile
    nykismile Posts: 198
    Options
    I never broke the binge habit entirely, but I think I've retrained myself after so long to only want to binge on healthy foods. I always have fruit and Skinnypop popcorn and homemade almond butter in the house.

I find it harder to overeat healthier food than junk.
  • ButterflyEl
    ButterflyEl Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The thing that's worked for me by accident is the 5:2 diet. I was convinced it was going to actually make things worse at first and for a bit it did.. but now it's reset my hunger signals and really shrunk my appetite.
    I physically can't binge anymore- I've tried. i just can't get the food in. It only works if you eat enough on your non fast days though else you do set yourself up for binging. I don't count calories on non fast days and I just don't binge eat anymore.
  • HangoverSquare
    HangoverSquare Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to drink tea or coffee whenever I feel like rifling through the cabinets.

Eliminating the junk from your house is a perfect method, too.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I just started reading this, and it is really insightful.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1wx6KxI1RBLdW5nZlpsMmtYdTA/edit
  • zericaaaaa
    Options
    Thanks for posting this- I am a closet binge-eater. Eat well during the day and then get home (or on my way home) and get caught up. I hide packaging and receipts like they are drugs lol. I never log my binges. Its been hard lately because I have been a lot more stressed but these replies seem like great ideas. I'll have to pre portion out all my foods.

all these responses really helped me too. as hard as it will be I'm gonna try logging my binges because I think that's the only way i'll realize how damaging it is. its a long hard road but we got this :)