1 pound per week = 52 lbs in one year

Options
I don't recommend weight loss over 2 lbs per week unless you are under a doctor's care. But, For those who have lots of weight to lose, look at this interesting FACT. If you can lose JUST ONE pound per week, you will lose over 50 lbs. in one year! Let's break it down. One lb. per week is just 500 calories per day (which means that you still can have at least 1,500 calories per day). And every mile walked is 100 calories burned. Can't do a whole mile at once? How about a quarter mile, 4 times a day (morning, lunchtime, after work, after dinner). A quarter mile can be done in JUST 5 minutes. And as you lose weight, you gain strength and you can go further. Then you can climb stairs for even more intense calories burning!

Replies

• happening5
    happening5 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It was the daunting fact that I had over 100 pounds to lose that kept me away. One day while feeling bad for myself I too came to the conclusion that if I lost just one pound a week by the same time next year I would be 52 pounds lighter and certainly happier. So with that attitude I logged in and haven't looked back. It's been almost 6 months from that day and I just hit 52 pounds!!! I'm so glad this clicked for me :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't recommend weight loss over 2 lbs per week unless you are under a doctor's care. But, For those who have lots of weight to lose, look at this interesting FACT. If you can lose JUST ONE pound per week, you will lose over 50 lbs. in one year! Let's break it down. One lb. per week is just 500 calories per day (which means that you still can have at least 1,500 calories per day). And every mile walked is 100 calories burned. Can't do a whole mile at once? How about a quarter mile, 4 times a day (morning, lunchtime, after work, after dinner). A quarter mile can be done in JUST 5 minutes. And as you lose weight, you gain strength and you can go further. Then you can climb stairs for even more intense calories burning!

I actually lose weight on anywhere between 1600-1950 a day...1600-1800 usually translates into 3/4lb-1lb a week...

It took me 18 months to lose 53lbs...not because I gave up but because it's not linear. Averaged 1750 calories a day for 1 year and lost on average 3/4lb a week...
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I agree, I think if people would break things down into manageable short term tactics to achieve long term goals, they would be more successful.

I also think, as adults, it is interesting how many times you hear people say things like, "this summer is going so quickly, school will start next month and next thing you know it will be Christmas..." Time flies by, it seems like you blink and a year has passed. Yet when you talk to so many people about their weight loss goals, they say things like, "I need to lose 25 lbs, or 50 lbs, and I don't have a year to wait for that, I need to do XYZ aggressive things just to drop that weight quickly". If those people could just reconcile those two concepts in their minds - weight loss takes time, but time passes so quickly - they would probably be more able to set realistic, sustainable goals and be more successful in the long term.
  • SammieDQ37
    SammieDQ37 Posts: 37
    Options
    This topic needs to stay on the board. This is the BEST way that weight loss has ever been broken down to me. Others that are struggling need to see this. WOW!! for some reason this just clicked with me. Thanks a million.:flowerforyou:
  • bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I've lost 22.2 lbs in 23 weeks. Everything I'm doing is sustainable long term and honestly, I don't even worry now about how long it will take me to reach my goal. I've haven't lost weight ever single week but over time I'm finding if I eat in moderation and try to be active, the weight will come off.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    This topic needs to stay on the board. This is the BEST way that weight loss has ever been broken down to me. Others that are struggling need to see this. WOW!! for some reason this just clicked with me. Thanks a million.:flowerforyou:

Totally agree!
  • dexteropolis
    dexteropolis Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    whoa, I did not think about it like that! :) It makes me feel a little bit better about the long journey to health ahead of me. Thanks for sharing!!
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Very nice.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I agree, I think if people would break things down into manageable short term tactics to achieve long term goals, they would be more successful.

I agree with @Kruggeri. I love the fact that there are people here who are realistic and are in in for the "Long Term Lifestyle"! :smile:

I am losing 2-3 lbs per month and I have about 40-50 lbs to lose. That puts me at about 18 months before I hit my long term goal. Yeah it is 18 months away, but I am exercising, getting more fit, and feeling better every day. It WILL be 18 months before I know it and because I have "worked the plan".. the Plan will work!

OP like the post!:drinker:
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the enlightenment.
  • Armagan123
    Armagan123 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    bump because it counters all the ridiculous I want to lose 10 lbs a month posts!

Slow and Steady - The mantra of success!
  • daworley
    daworley Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Great topic and advice. I had this same weight loss revelation in April click with me and have lost 15lbs in 3 months. I plan to continue in this manner more or less as it is working without stressing me, causing diet anxiety, making me feel guilty or anything else. Just plain and simple! Best wishes to all of you!
  • bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    bump because it counters all the ridiculous I want to lose 10 lbs a month posts!

Slow and Steady - The mantra of success!

Not to mention the I want to lose 50 lbs or more by Christmas posts that are starting to pop up regularly.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I want to add my support to the 1lb/week brigade. I have lost 53lbs in about 530 days of logging food and exercise. That's 1lb every 10 days or 3lbs/month. And I'll take that any day, every day.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Ya know.....that's an excellent way of putting it. :happy:

I'm going to ponder that for a while.
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options

I also think, as adults, it is interesting how many times you hear people say things like, "this summer is going so quickly, school will start next month and next thing you know it will be Christmas..." Time flies by, it seems like you blink and a year has passed. Yet when you talk to so many people about their weight loss goals, they say things like, "I need to lose 25 lbs, or 50 lbs, and I don't have a year to wait for that, I need to do XYZ aggressive things just to drop that weight quickly". If those people could just reconcile those two concepts in their minds - weight loss takes time, but time passes so quickly - they would probably be more able to set realistic, sustainable goals and be more successful in the long term.

So true! Yet I always 'had to lose the weight by X time" and--guess what???? It never worked! MYP is working because it is not a crash diet, but a learning and awareness tool.
    The needless suffering...I'm thinking of my niece who had the surgery, got infection and died leaving two small adorable kids she loved...
    Thanks for reminding us all that we don't have to do the crazy thinking anymore. One day at a time... will get us there!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options

WORD! me too!
  • Janice2Shakira
    Options
    Bump for awesomeness :drinker:
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options

WORD! me too!

WORD Squared - Me Three! :smile:

This is such a great post - (OK I will calm down now)