Hello, I'm new-ish

Options
Hello! My name is Diana. I am 31 years old and 130 lbs overweight. I was on here over a year ago but lost motivation because I did not have anyone in my offline life to keep me accountable. Now, my lovely wife and I are going to be doing this together. Recently, I got blood tests done and was told by my doctor that I have hit the range of pre-diabeties. My percentage should be under 5.7%. It's now at 6.1 %....6.5% is considered type II Diabetes. That was like a slap in the face that I need to make a huge lifestyle change, for myself and for those I love. So my wife and I agreed to go on this journey together. So...here I am, ready to get healthy.

Replies

• SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I was diagnosed type 2 in December when my A1C spiked to over 8! (I had been keeping it in the 6 range for some time.). Going on a reduced carb diet (counting carbs, not NO carb like Atkins), metformin and regular exercise brought mine down to 5.7 in three months time. My doc was impressed. LOL I said, it's amazing what a little motivation does for a person.

If you haven't already, ask your doc to get you an appointment with a dietician and a diabetes educator. They can help you in getting started, developing a meal plan, a target carb amount per day etc. There is a lot to learn, and it may seem overwhelming at first, but making this change now can help you prevent full blown diabetes.

There are also several diabetes groups here. Just go to Groups, then type it into the search field. That will hook you up with others on a similar journey as well
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    Hi Nice to meet you :) You came to a great place full of support and information. Your reason for coming here was one of mine also. 3 years later I am of all meds and my sugar is controlled with diet :) The lifestyle change is very possible you just have to take charge and be ready to move forward. One thing i learned is track everything you eat no matter how small, don't cheat yourself by not logging everything. #2 Always get back up, you will have bad days but getting back up and moving forward is what will make this journey worthwhile. Best of luck. Feel free to send me a fr if you are looking for motivation :)
  • hannahkoen
    hannahkoen Posts: 18
    Options
    Welcome I am new here too and would love to help anyone that is willing to help themselves (And me along the way!) Add me! :)
  • Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    Welcome,
    You can do this.
    Good luck to you.