gaining weight instead of losing!! HELP!!!

Options
So I have been diligently counting calories and have been doing lots of cardio over the last two weeks. I initially lost 2 pounds (130). But i just weighed in and the scale said I have gained four pounds (134). I don't understand. I haven't been doing much strength training yet, because I wanted to get to my goal weight first then strength train to tone up and tighten everything. I also haven't lost inches, in fact I feel as though I have gained inches too. (thought at first maybe I was gaining muscle and losing inches) so now I am really discouraged and feel as though all of my efforts were in vain. Any advice?

Replies

• __flexylexi
    __flexylexi Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you should strength train and do cardio at the same time

Read this:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/womans_lean_sexy_bible.htm

I can also tell you that it was weight lifting that accelerated my weight loss when I was in a weight lifting class over last summer... The inches literally fell off.

as far as limiting calories and gaining weight, the only thing i could think of is you aren't eating enough so your body thinks you are starving and stores it..
  • smedlund
    smedlund Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough water? I know that when I'm not drinking enough, I will see a weight gain. In one instance, I saw an 8 POUND gain!
  • zistheword
    Options
    Calories are only half the battle, the type of food and your metabolism can also be big contributing factors. If you have time you should read the Jillian Michaels book "Master Your Metabolism". It is really informative and helps fill in the answers to some of the questions concerning why just cutting calories doesn't work at times. It should be at your local library. I hope it helps!!!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I say weigh again in a week and try not to think about it in the mean time. I know things like water weight, TOM, and constipation can totally jack up my scale (and most other peoples.) When I go on vacation or have a holiday the sodium and just general change in pace usually causes between a 5 and 10 pound change- 10 pounds. But falls off in a week or two, letting me know it was sodium, water, and food hanging out in my guts.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I agree, you might noit be gettign enought calories. you shoul net at leat 1200 a day otherwise your body may think you are starving.

Also, the boday can flucuate a few pounds just becasueof wter retention. if you ate a ot od sodium over the weekend you may be retaining water..the same is true if you are about to beign your period. I never weigh myself durring my TOM.

Strenght training is very important too. If you want to tone up gentally try yoga.
  • Brandip714
    Options
    Thanks guys this really helps!!! i honestly don't think i am getting enough water...i am a nurse and drinking= peeing so i just don't have time to run to the bathroom a lot. I will add some strength training to my workout tonight as well : ) Thanks again!