Weight watchers VS. Calorie counting

Options
Just wondering, what is everyone's take on Weight Watchers compared to calorie counting/my fitness pal? Which one do you guys think is easier/produces better results?

Replies

• KtChiCa
    Options
    count calories.

I think with weight watchers you get concerned with points only and you may not end up choosing good quality foods. and its one extra step, instead of writing down calories, you have to calculate points on top of that.

And for me, I can eat more when I count calories versus weightwatchers points
  • BlueEyedMomma88
    BlueEyedMomma88 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Never tried Weight Watchers but I LOVE Myfitnesspal!!
  • cutetiger71
    Options
    calorie counting is so much easier less stress full javascript:add_smiley('wink','post_body') good luck x
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Each WW point is a range of calories...like 4-7 calories per poing but I don't remember exaclty. MFP is calorie for calories. I would always hit a sticking point when I did WW. Not with MFP. Calorie counting is better IMO.
  • Maghenta
    Maghenta Posts: 100
    Options
    Counting Calories.
    Same here I rather count calories, I feel like am not in a diet but simply eating a bit less of what I love to eat.....
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is easier and doesn't cost anything. Weight watchers does factor other things in though such as fibre and fat. You can easily do this yourself with calorie counting though as long as you read nutritional information carefully and you choose nutrient dense foods.
  • CarthagoDelendaEst
    Options
    I'd say calorie counting is easier with a site like MFP. I did WW for two weeks and even though I lost 4.5lbs in my first week (as opposed to 3lbs with calorie counting) converting foods into points was time consuming. (I put that 4.5lbs back on after I gave up WW.)

MFP logs it all for you, and it's free!

I still buy many things from the WW range - they are lower in calories and healthier than most alternatives which makes my life easier.

That said, I still liked WW - but it is difficult getting to a class every week etc.
  • oysterboy
    oysterboy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've done both and found that it makes no difference. They're just different ways of helping you to eat less.
    It's difficult to get out of the weight watchers mindset once you've done it. I keep having to remind myself to record vegetables which I didn't do on WW as they are 'free'.
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting 100% for me, as this is something I will be doing probably for the rest of my life now! All be it not to the level I am now but to maintain I think you still need to keep track or at least have an idea of what you are eating. I think as a long term "lifestyle change" then calorie counting will play a key part in it. This is only my opinion, I think doing what ever works for you is the key.

Ben.
  • Jasmine_Moonstone
    Jasmine_Moonstone Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am doing Weight Watchers. I personally find it easier myself. I have tried counting calories before & it was not easy for me. I find that WW's works really well for me. I have the books & I am doing it on my own without the meetings. Yes it is harder without the meetings, but it can be done. I think it depends on the person.

Also WW"s is also about teaching portion sizes & eating healthier. It makes me think before I eat anything weather it is actually worth the points or not. I absolutly love my WW's. I have in the past lost & maintained after coming off. I just have to keep in mind what I am eating & watch portion sizes.
  • sharonpryke
    sharonpryke Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I prefer calorie counting. I've tried weight watchers, and it worked for a while, but in the end I get annoyed that a couple of calories can tip over into half a point or something! Or that having two glasses of wine together, saves points over two separately - it seems less accurate to me.

It's also strange how some items with the same calories have different points values. I know that's because WW take fat content etc, into account and try to get you to choose low fat options, but in the end a calorie is a calorie!

Calorie counting is also a lot cheaper!
  • cmpettey
    cmpettey Posts: 223
    Options
    I think it is different for different people. Weight watchers points would be simpler for people who don't have access to a computer several times a day to log foods. They have face to face support and there is something to be said about having to weigh yourself weekly in front of someone else. On the other hand, I like my fitness pal because I do have access to a computer several times a day and the computer does the math for me. I love the recipe feature too. As for which provides the most weight loss? That I don't know. I guess it depends on how honest you are with yourself and how well you do the program. I have had a lot of success with weight watchers counting points when I was being honest with myself, not when I wasn't. I think that is the same with my fitness pal.
  • oysterboy
    oysterboy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Too true Sharon. It's nice to be able to eat satsumas in odd numbers. On weight watchers satsumas are 0.5 points for 1 or for 2. Why would you ever eat only 1 when 2 is the same points? Counting calories encourages a more common sense approach.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    i love weight watchers .fruits and vegs are free now . so you will get tham instead of whats going to cost you points. it more balance than calories. its fun , its healthy, and after a while its easy. i use mfp to help with weight watchers i stop smoking and want to eat everything in the house my food diary is open on mfp so it keeps me from doing that i like weight watcher being over weight is so unheathy that if you find a diet that works for you that takes of the weight do it
  • qtwells82
    qtwells82 Posts: 352
    Options
    I did weight watchers for a couple of months and saw great results. I quit though because of the cost and trying to figure out the point value of everything i ate was too frustrating for me. This site is FREE and you can look up nearly everything and see the nutritional value of it. Not only that, i have the app for MFP on my Droid...last time i checked, Weight watchers didn’t have the app yet (for the Droid that is).

Basically its whatever your preference is. Weight Watchers does work great! It just wasn’t for me. Im having the same success here on MFP, plus i love the supportive people here as well!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I've had similar results doing both (lost about 25 pounds in about 8 months both times... my body sucks at dropping weight!). That being said, since MFP has such a great database of nutrition information, I prefer counting calories. For one thing, it is FREE!!! For another, I felt that Weight Watchers encouraged "diet" foods (sugar free, fat free) and a "diet" mentality. The particular group I was with had a trainer who really over-promoted using Weight Watchers products too. I found it very discouraging to be in a group of people who were all dropping pounds twice as fast as I was... when I was following the program closer than they were (work group). I love having support here but not having to feel like I am in a competition with anyone.
  • teeminus30
    teeminus30 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    MFP is FREE! I've never done WW. I've heard great things about it. MFP is FREE! Plus, it's the easiest diet I've ever been on. I don't feel like I'm dieting. I don't have to eat diet food. I'm learning about the calories in things and portion sizes. I'm making smarter choices. I want to exercise because that means I can eat more. I've got friends doing it with me cuz they can afford it too. We're all losing weight. We're all motivated. I love MFP!
  • Haleynb818
    Options
    Oh thank you all! It's so nice to get everyones opinions! I think I am going to stick with MFP, as I easily get frustrated with point counting and all (Of course I'd like to save money too !! ;) )! This is by far the easiest program ever. Thank you all! :)
  • JoanHolly
    JoanHolly Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    i have done both.. and both work if you follow it. I prefer counting calories it is much simpler and the MFP website and app is far better thean WW, plus MFP is free!
  • Moop87
    Moop87 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I actually was on WW for about 8 months and lost 30 pounds. The only thing is my purse was a lot lighter too! Plus I got so frustrated with the task of figuring out my points all the time. I'm going to give this a shot. Any advise for me?