Salad ideas!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Cobblergal
    Options
    Garbanzo or red beans, olives, radishes, celery, chopped water chestnuts, almonds.. I make a garbanzo, red kidney bean salad with olive oil, chopped garlic and chopped spinach (I use frozen spinach and you only have to use about 1/4 cup) with 2 cups of each of kidney beans and garbanzo beans. Pretty tasty and good slow carbs and fiber. It will last in the refrigerator. I only use olive oil and salt free Mrs. Dash on my salads. How about some sardines or a small can of tuna. I also make turkey cupcakes (really only a turkey meatloaf put in cupcake tins). Then wrap them individually in saran wrap and freeze. Makes about 12 cupcakes and they are ready when you are. Good source of protein. Sometimes I will micro one for 1 minute and put it on my salad so it melts the cheese. How about a couple of strawberries for sweetness.
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    One of my fave's is "tex mex" :use fresh salsa as the dressing and add chicken breast, black beans, light shredded cheese, corn, a few tortilla chips crunched up, a bit of sour cream, sometimes a bit of avocado...a perfect big lunch or dinner!!!
  • jillian_fan2425
    jillian_fan2425 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    This week I did a salad reminiscent of caprese salad: tomato, spinach (in lieu of basil), mozzarella, and a simple dressing made of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Very tasty and low calorie :)
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I like to add nuts to my salads. Almonds, peanuts, sun flower seeds. Almonds and peanuts come in different flavors so you change it up.
  • Evelynnn2014
    Options
    Bump. (Great ideas!)
  • isthisolivia
    isthisolivia Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have a go to salad dressing that I make every week that is a good replacement for the heavy stuff and is pretty good as a dip as well.

1 cup organic non-fat greek yogurt
    6 tbsp olive oil
    6 tbsp apple cider vinegar (great for you, i sometimes use more)
    optional: some dill chopped up, some shallots thrown in.
    some pepper (i like a lot)
    and a couple drops of honey

Put it in a mason jar, shake well. Keeps in the fridge for the week.
  • bex0178
    bex0178 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Spring greens, diced pear, sunflower seeds, white fish baked with ginger, and an asian style dressing or olive oil. Occasionally some steamed veggies on top like peppers or zucchini or a poached egg along with the fish if I need more protein. Yummy!
  • sed2209
    sed2209 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Really appreciate all the tasty ideas! Thanks :)
  • jyogit
    jyogit Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    i've eaten salad with every meal for yrs and they can get boring i agree .. recently I've changed foods and so salads for me now include.. wild rocket,some form of lettuce cherry or vine tomatoes,cucumber and peppers .. thrown in with quinoa , blueberries , few raspberries if i remember to buy them .. lol and now i always add in some ground flax seeds and ground pumpkin seeds with the occasional sesame and poppy seeds .. then adding some meat of some kind or tuna .. i don't really rotate whats in them i just use whats left in the fridge at the time,but so far I'm not getting bored with the added ingredients :)
  • ahkennett
    ahkennett Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've had times when I've burned out on salads, but the most recent ones I've been eating have been a huge change for me. The big thing is that I've skipped the lettuce/greens portion. That little change really mixed things up.

One recent salad was chopped broccoli, thin-sliced zucchini, radishes, cherry tomatoes, and a bit of sweet onion. I tossed that with some lemon juice and salt and pepper, then topped the whole thing with some left-over roasted chicken.
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds weird, but I like to add sweet fruit to my salads (grapes, raisins, canned or fresh tangerines)....

So I'm weird! Chopped granny smith apples, dried cherry-flavored cranberries...
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I burned out on lettuce/greens. I now make chopped salads and change up the ingredients when I feel like it.

Lately it's been:

broccoli
    radishes
    jicama
    celery
    green and red cabbage
    red and green peppers
    canned sweet corn from Trader Joe's or Sprouts (these are delicious, not like the rest of can corn)
    red onion
    zucchini
    english cucumber (I scrape out the seeds with a spoon)
    real tomatoes that smell like real tomatoes
    chick peas/garbanzos
    peppercinis
    Granny Smith apples
    nuts and seeds

everything gets chopped into small cubes, or approximate
    My dressing is anything that is 40 calories or less for 2 Tablespoons. I have an assortment and mix them up.
    Trader Joe's: Cilantro; Champagne and Raspberry Vinaigrettes; Low-fat Balsamic (although I don't look for low-fat labels).
    Newman's Own, Annie's; etc.
    and then I mix in a little of what's below--
    So my dressing could be a combo of dressing and
    fresh lime juice
    balsamic vinegar
    rice vinegar
    red wine vinegar
    juice from pickle or pepperoni jar

Feta is good, and so is any protein source you like.
    I'm going to try the mason jar salad idea that is going around the internet. I like the idea of putting the dressing in the bottom so you'd good to go.
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I like to use fat free cottage cheese in the place of dressing. Yummy & filling!
  • tttanyah
    tttanyah Posts: 14
    Options
    I love a lot of chopped herbs to go with the greens (often just romaine, microgreens, and spinach) in my salad: parsley, cilantro, basil, and dill, in particular, along with the 'usual' salad veggies (cukes, radishes, peppers, carrots, tomatoes), and a garlicky oil/lemon/cider vinegar dressing.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Bump....thanks for all of the good ideas!
  • lrg223
    lrg223 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Corn, black beans, tomatoes, red onions with fat free ranch dressing (I buy Wishbone) mixed with Franks hot sauce as the dressing then I sprinkle my salad with Chilli powder. SO-GOOD for a healthy Mexican flavor.

Shrimp Caesar salad with tomatoes and red onions. I use Marzetti Super Light Casear Dressing and sprinkle my salad with grated parm cheese. (I sometimes add black beans and avocado to this too for more nutrition) - I saute the shrimp sometimes that are covered in a bunch of spices for an extra kick)

I usually also add chopped up red and green peppers, celery, shredded carrots, cucumbers, chickpeas, ... basically any veggie I have/am in the mood food.

Also if I want croutons, I put about one serving (usually 6) in a bag and crush them a bit. It spreads out more of the crunch and flavor without going crazy by adding a heaping of croutons and adding tons of empty calories.
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Crab (or krab)
    Avocado
    Brown Rice
    Diced cucumber
    1/2 soy sauce 1/2 rice wine vinegar dressing
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I got really burned out on salads, and right now I prefer just eating cut up veggies (with a little hummus, salsa or tzatziki as a dip), but when I do have a salad I usually add raisins, pepita seeds or chopped pecans or walnuts, a little cheese (I usually just chop up a string cheese), an ounce or two of chopped chicken or turkey, a couple slices of avacado, edamame. As long as I have tomato and avocado in my salad, I don't add any dressing. However, my salads are usually intended as a meal and wind up being around 300-400 calories.
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Lot's of good ideas here. I'd add that it is worth it to buy the best produce you can. Find a farmer's market and your produce will be fresher and tastier-- really makes a big difference :)
  • ronitperman
    Options
    I like fresh vegetable and fruit salad it keeps me full and healthy. This time I am going to try something different.with 6 medium red and golden beets, 8 cups mixed baby salad greens, fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, white balsamic vinegar, kosher salt, black pepper, virgin olive oil, 2 ounces crumbled goat cheese, walnuts and water also.
    Leave root and 1-inch stem on beets; scrub with a brush. Place beets and 1 cup water in a 13 x 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish; cover tightly with foil. Bake at 375° for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until tender. Cool beets slightly. Trim off roots; rub off skins. Cut beets into wedges; cool completely.
    Place greens and parsley in a large bowl; toss. Combine vinegar, salt, and pepper, stirring with a whisk. Gradually drizzle in oil, stirring constantly with a whisk. Drizzle dressing over greens mixture; toss gently. Arrange 1 cup salad on each of 8 plates; top evenly with beets. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese and 1 1/2 teaspoons nuts.