Eating Clean

Options
Processed sugars. I'm talking about white sugar, high fructose corn syrup, sucrose, or pretty much any kind of sugar that came from a factory instead of a piece of fruit. Processed sugar negatively affects your metabolism, your insulin response, even your mood—and all for totally empty calories. Cutting sugar out of your diet means you're going to have to read some labels, because it is by far the most common food additive in the U.S.

Alcohol. Calories that are as empty as sugar, and at 7 calories a gram, booze can really pack it on. Alcohol also dehydrates your body, which compromises muscle growth. Plus it slows your metabolism, so you burn fewer calories. In short, drinking gives you less muscle and more fat—you're just undoing everything you're trying to achieve with your workout.

Caffeine. I know there are a lot of people out there who say caffeine can give your workout a little extra "oomph." Obviously, it can give you some extra energy to make you push harder, but the cost is that it increases cortisol levels in your body, which inhibits lean muscle growth. Plus, it can negatively affect your sleep patterns, and you're better off working out when you're rested than when you're juiced.
Anything with a face. It used to be that you could find some decent lean meat sources, but in the last few decades, the hormones, antibiotics, and chemicals that have been used to process meat and fish make them pretty worthless as a source of protein. There are plenty of excellent vegetarian protein sources, like beans, tofu, and nuts, so you can eat clean while you get lean.

Gluten. Gluten is a grain-derived protein found in lots of different foods, mostly wheat, rye, and barley products. The name comes from the Latin word for "glue." You don't need to eat glue. Even if you're not one of the millions who are sensitive or allergic to gluten, you'll be operating a much cleaner machine if you cut it out of your diet. There are plenty of other healthier gluten-free alternatives, like millet, amaranth, quinoa, and oats.

By eliminating these empty or harmful "foods" from your diet, you can start turning your body into the well-oiled machine nature intended it to be. By eating a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, you can give yourself the premium fuel to get into the best shape of your life

http://www.beachbody.com/product/newsletters/nl_436.do

Replies

• coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    started that a few weeks ago and I feel great! also eliminated all dairy, corn, rice and all starches..cant believe I havent had any caffeine or sugar withdrawls but its been A-OK!!!
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I keep working on cleaning up my diet - did pretty good last week although we went out to dinner twice and then I had beer on Saturday. Have you read the book UltraMetabolism by Dr. Mark Hyman? He recommends following these same ideas and has meal plans and recipes. I need to get some of the foods he recommends to follow it completely.
  • Melisha82
    Melisha82 Posts: 243
    Options
    I am totally working on eliminating caffeine. It's going to take a little while, but I'm getting there lol
  • bka8
    bka8 Posts: 92
    Options
    I really dont agree with this...it just sounds like a plug for px90
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Tosca Reno has great books on this very subject.
    I think eating clean makes the difference in being able to stick with lower calorie ranges by feeling more satiated because the body is receiving all of it's nutrients and isn't craving for more food to fulfill its needs.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this was well intended, but for most of us, eating "clean" does not mean cutting out all animal products, gluten, caffeine, etc. It means eating a diet full of fresh veggies, fruit, nuts, legumes, lean meats and eggs, and cutting out as much processed food as possible (including processed sugars). There is no reason why someone can't include many of the things you listed as part of their diet and still lose weight and be healthy. It's quite extreme to say that modern meat is "worthless" as a protein - while I understand people's discomfort with modern meat, I have no doubt it continues to be a valuable protein for the body. I also make a vegetarian protein out of gluten - obviously not good for someone who is gluten intolerant, but I'm not, and it is a great source of protein for me. I've actually read that for caffeine, initially it may have a slight negative impact on cortisol levels, etc, but that for someone who is used to drinking it, their body adjusts and no longer experiences the negative effects - I'm not advocating a gallon a day of coffee, but a few cups will not hurt anyone (unless they have special medical needs).

Basically - I just want to put an alternate viewpoint out there that you can eat relatively clean without going extreme. Extreme may work for some people, but it's not necessary for weight loss or to be healthy.
  • Yourfitpal
    Options
    Why do people eliminate dairy from their diets? Studies showed that high calcium diets aid in fat loss and prevent osteoporosis.
    Also caffeine is a drug , it has side effects. But its positive effects out weights its negative effects.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options

Maybe she should say that you can eat McFatty burgers and fries and get the body of your dreams? Hello? Her advice is sound and if you don't want to follow it... feel free to have a Big Mac, Fries, and "diet coke" and expect to be healthy.
  • mrscates
    mrscates Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT NIKI! =) THANKS GIRL!

Maybe she should say that you can eat McFatty burgers and fries and get the body of your dreams? Hello? Her advice is sound and if you don't want to follow it... feel free to have a Big Mac, Fries, and "diet coke" and expect to be healthy.
  • mrscates
    Options
    All I did was share something I read. This is why I put a link at the bottom. People can choose to take the advice or not. I personally do not care.
    I'm sure this was well intended, but for most of us, eating "clean" does not mean cutting out all animal products, gluten, caffeine, etc. It means eating a diet full of fresh veggies, fruit, nuts, legumes, lean meats and eggs, and cutting out as much processed food as possible (including processed sugars). There is no reason why someone can't include many of the things you listed as part of their diet and still lose weight and be healthy. It's quite extreme to say that modern meat is "worthless" as a protein - while I understand people's discomfort with modern meat, I have no doubt it continues to be a valuable protein for the body. I also make a vegetarian protein out of gluten - obviously not good for someone who is gluten intolerant, but I'm not, and it is a great source of protein for me. I've actually read that for caffeine, initially it may have a slight negative impact on cortisol levels, etc, but that for someone who is used to drinking it, their body adjusts and no longer experiences the negative effects - I'm not advocating a gallon a day of coffee, but a few cups will not hurt anyone (unless they have special medical needs).

Basically - I just want to put an alternate viewpoint out there that you can eat relatively clean without going extreme. Extreme may work for some people, but it's not necessary for weight loss or to be healthy.
  • jennylynn84
    Options

Wow. Harsh.

As accountant boi said - this isn't really what people mean by clean eating. As far as meats go, most clean eaters just prefer to get them as local and non-chemically treated as possible - which is possible.

"Clean" for most really means no chemicals or additives. That does not include cutting out gluten or meat, or even caffeine.

It's just rather extreme. No one is suggesting fattening gross food.
  • NikkisNewStart
    Options
    Not harsh- just reality... not being honest about what got us fat to begin with is why most people continue to make excuse after excuse as to why they are not losing weight. I'm not stating this was the poster's problem... just a generic statement. Again- on a message board you can take it for what it's worth.

The original poster has had amazing results. I have had amazing results. Someone who does not adapt their current eating habits will not have amazing results. Those are the facts. If you choose to follow the advice on her post as a way to change your current eating habits- GOOD FOR YOU. If you don't- good for you as well. Find something that works for you. However, nothing changes if nothing changes.

Her post was in no way a plug- so yeah- that was HARSH. Way to kick someone who has and continue to have amazing results for trying to pay it forward. I believe her personal results speak for themselves as to the credibility of her information.

Again- don't follow it if you don't want to... I'm sure if you change nothing you will continue to see nothing. Again- just a hypothetical statement and not meant for anyone specifically!
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Local farms where the animals are raised on pasture and organically grown hay (not corn), poultry who are truly range-free and allowed to eat their normal diet of insects, etc.; these can be great, low-fat sources of protein. Delicious, too.
  • NikkisNewStart
    Options
    PS- Jillian Michaels can be honest and "harsh" all day long and make millions. You can be harsh to a smoker about why they are going to have cancer and die an early death... however... if you are honest about obsesity then you are "harsh." What a double standard!
  • mrscates
    Options
    Thank you again! =) I eat meat everyone, but I have started double checking what types of meat I eat and make sure I only buy the best I can get my hands on. I eat dairy, but not often (in my shakes and sometimes snacks). I count calories, workout hard and have lost 62lbs on my own. I have been at this journey for a while and no I do not know everything, but I know some and I am just trying to help. This information may not be for me, you or joe blow...but someone may like it and use it. Its just helpful information and I feel PAYING IT FORWARD is what this is about...not about our own personal opinions.
    Not harsh- just reality... not being honest about what got us fat to begin with is why most people continue to make excuse after excuse as to why they are not losing weight. I'm not stating this was the poster's problem... just a generic statement. Again- on a message board you can take it for what it's worth.

The original poster has had amazing results. I have had amazing results. Someone who does not adapt their current eating habits will not have amazing results. Those are the facts. If you choose to follow the advice on her post as a way to change your current eating habits- GOOD FOR YOU. If you don't- good for you as well. Find something that works for you. However, nothing changes if nothing changes.

Her post was in no way a plug- so yeah- that was HARSH. Way to kick someone who has and continue to have amazing results for trying to pay it forward. I believe her personal results speak for themselves as to the credibility of her information.

Again- don't follow it if you don't want to... I'm sure if you change nothing you will continue to see nothing. Again- just a hypothetical statement and not meant for anyone specifically!
  • mrscates
    Options
    Then is OH SO TRUE! Im totally with you on this one!
    PS- Jillian Michaels can be honest and "harsh" all day long and make millions. You can be harsh to a smoker about why they are going to have cancer and die an early death... however... if you are honest about obsesity then you are "harsh." What a double standard!
  • odaatsue
    Options
    As a country we continue to be confused by dairy. (Perhaps it's all the lies we're told?)

This is an interesting read, and is about science, not opinion.

Enjoy!

http://ourcompass.wordpress.com/2010/12/09/new-study-increased-milk-intake-does-not-protect-against-osteoporosis-but-does-promote-ovarian-and-prostate-cancers/

I've attended many lectures on this subject and again and again it is shown that drinking baby-cow food or coagulated baby-cow food (that would be cheese ;-) ) is really not the "necessary" and "healthy" food we've been led to believe it is. (By people who have a financial incentive to mislead us.)

And not to go all crazy on you...but I think many people do not realize that the cows are made pregnant so they will lactate, then their baby is taken away (boy cows are kept in tiny cages so they can turn into Veal Picatta or some dish made from baby cow meat) so that the mother cow can be milked for humans to drink. Personally, I don't want my eating habits to be inflicting that kind of suffering. The "industry" does a very good job of hiding the truth of all this from us. I know I was shocked when I started learning about it.

:heart:
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    No, I believe in being honest to people about their eating habits. I just don't agree that either people are cutting out all meat, dairy, caffeine etc or they're eating a McFatty. There is a middle ground. Moderation is really what is key for most people. And its a lack of understanding of moderation that really got me where I was before, not fast food chains.

It just seemed like a very "well, that's why you're fat, fatty!" response to someone who simply thought - this sounds like a plug. In a world where so many varied miracle "only this will work" diet plans out there, you really can't blame someone.
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    BTW - i'm not saying don't pay it forward or hand out advice, but when people criticize or doubt it a rude response might not be the best way to win people over.
  • mrscates
    Options
    I didn't think I was being rude. I am trying to help many and personally feel posting things that may not suit most, will suit some and if helping 1 person is all I do out of this post..then hey I helped someone! =) Some may be looking for a bigger change. Like maybe they have lost their weight, but want more ripped muscles and I beleive TONY HORTON knows a thing or two about that. This is why I posted this.
    BTW - i'm not saying don't pay it forward or hand out advice, but when people criticize or doubt it a rude response might not be the best way to win people over.