Which reading should I trust?

Options
Good morning.

So after waking up and going to the bathroom, I thought it would be an ideal time to weigh in. I was 13st 8 about a week ago...weighed myself this morning and there was quite a difference.

I placed myself on the scales in a similar position to where I always weigh in..and it said 13st 4. I found this a little hard to believe so I weighed myself again, but this time I moved the scales a tiny bit towards to middle wall. This then said I was 13st 6lbs (which I thought was more believable. However I double checked and weighed again....13st 5, and then 13st 5....and then 13st 5.

So in all, one reading of 13st 6, one reading of 13st 4 and three readings of 13st 5.

Should I calculate the median or take the reading which was most frequent?

Thank you

Replies

• jjdiggy
    jjdiggy Posts: 172
    Options
    Bumping this up
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Well it's only two pounds difference. Find one place, leave it there. Don't even think about moving it 'just to see'. It will drive you mental.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    dont keep moving the scale... put it on a flat surface and try and use the same spot each time. (i match to the pattern of the tiles on the bathroom floor) weigh 3 time, take the average.

ETA - you're 13st 5, you lost 3lbs, well done!
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    So is it that the floors a bit uneven, causing the scales to show diffrent results? if it is is there any where else in the house you can weigh that might show more consistent results? I have the same problem in my bathroom and always go by the highest reading because i figure its probably unlikely that the scales will show more than i weigh but not less.
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    So in all, one reading of 13st 6, one reading of 13st 4 and three readings of 13st 5.

Should I calculate the median or take the reading which was most frequent?
    As I see it, you have three options:

1. Take the most frequent reading: The result is 13st 5.
    2. Calculate a median: The result is still 13st 5.
    3. Calculate a mean (i.e. average): And the result is, once again, 13st 5.

I think the bigger lesson here is, it really doesn't matter!
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Ha ha. I do that too. I always take the lowest number..and hope it's the same or less the next day.
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    My new scale did that so I thought I'll weigh myself elsewhere and took the darn thing back. Waste of 20 bucks. Too vague, reading depends on what part of floor it is placed.
  • jjdiggy
    Options
    It's difficult as our house is an old house, so all the floors are bound to be uneven. It was more or less in the same position as I normally weigh myself, so I couldn't understand why it kept fluctuating as much as it was.
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Scale weights are more consistent if they are NOT on carpet.
  • jjdiggy
    Options
    In all I guess it's a good result then. I've been running around 3-4 days back home now as well as eating clean, and so far it's meant I've lost an additional 3lbs. Not too bad, I'm pretty happy about that!
  • jjdiggy
    Options
    The floor which I weighed myself on is solid wood. A family member suggested I could do it in the wine cellar where the surface is solid concrete. Either that or outside on the paving slabs in the garden.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too, common issue. Leaving the scales out in one spot in the bathroom isn't an option but then it's hard to get the exact spot each time, short of drawing a square on the bathroom floor!

If it helps, the last time I went to the doctor's and was weighed, the scales were placed on a large thick wooden board I guess to overcome any dodgy readings due to an uneven floor. Or if your kitchen has a concrete floor, take the scales in there instead as the floor will be more even.

ETA I see you've already thought of the concrete floor options. Just don't weigh naked if you weigh outside ;)
  • jjdiggy
    Options
    This happens to me too, common issue. Leaving the scales out in one spot in the bathroom isn't an option but then it's hard to get the exact spot each time, short of drawing a square on the bathroom floor!

If it helps, the last time I went to the doctor's and was weighed, the scales were placed on a large thick wooden board I guess to overcome any dodgy readings due to an uneven floor. Or if your kitchen has a concrete floor, take the scales in there instead as the floor will be more even.

ETA I see you've already thought of the concrete floor options. Just don't weigh naked if you weigh outside ;)

Oh darn I didn't think about that, hahahahaha! If only my garden was a bit more secluded, then I wouldn't have to worry about anybody peeping hahaha!!