Best way to shrink the mid section???

Options
What is the best way to get rid of your belly? I have had 4 kids so I know I will never have a flat stomach but there has to be some way to tighten up those ab muscles and lose a few inches around the middle. Any tips?

Replies

• CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Luckymam
    Luckymam Posts: 300
    Options
    You can't lose weight on specific areas. I wish we could!
  • lordofultima
    Options
    eating less calories than you burn in a day, cardio. There is no way to target fat loss, it comes off where it comes off. You have to get down to a low bodyfat % to get rid of the pesky areas.
  • blessedbirdie
    Options
    I have read that once you lose the pounds and fat the belly will go down. Anyway after losing 55 lbs since July and I have lost most of it (this time) in my mid section! I am 53 yrs old and carry most of my weight there and in the legs. SO, I do use a kettlebell to work out. It is suppose to strengthen your core. I believe it really has toned my mid section and stregthened mine.
    Look online if you don't know what one it. It is a weight with a handle. You swing it and do other motions with it. It is fairy cheap to buy one at walmart and most come with a dvd. I am totally hooked as I can use it and watch tv at night.
    Hope this helps.
    blessedbirdie
  • MrsMarvelous
    MrsMarvelous Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Watching your portions... eatting healthy foods... and lots of cardio... you cant target a certain place to lose fat.. but lots of cardio will help jump rope, jump on a mini tramp.. run.. dance Zumba anything to get your heart racing you can also do some toning exercise for your belly area also ... thats just my opinion :smile:
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    You can do sit ups and other stomach exercises to tighten and tone the area, possibly losing inches. But like the other said, you can't really reduce weight to just that part.
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Well Cardio will definitely help. What I do is focus on my stomach area when I am running or walking. I do crunches and eat well and I already see a difference.
  • bekdavis
    bekdavis Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that running helps shed those pounds. then you can tone the area.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    As others have said, you can't spot reduce. Nothing but diet and cardio/weights will work, unless you elect for surgery. You have to look at this from an overall perspective. Work on the entire body and it will come off, even on your stomache.
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Do not say you will never have great abs because your a mom, I also have 4 kids and I know it can be done. I gained 50 lbs with my first, 40 with my 2nd, 35 with my 3rd and this last time 18 lbs. The difference this time is I taught aerobics the whole time. I love pilates it targets the mom pooch and works the abs better than plain old crunches. I love sitting up with legs elevates alittle and grab a 5-8 lb weight and slowly go side to side only moving upper tummy. Planks work well too. Also try doing 100 crunches 2 to 3 times a day with indian style legs than lay down. I know it sounds like a lot but it will get those abs back:) Promise

Alisha
    Mommy to 4 great kids;)