Trying to lose weight, but also bulk up

Options
It may sound like a contradiction, but I'm trying to lose some weight while also trying to bulk up.

Basically, I'm working out to increase muscle mass in my body in general, to get bigger, but I've also seen myself put on weight in general recently. I suspect this is because of what I'm feeding myself to try and bulk up (i.e. more protein), but it's giving me a bit of a belly.

I need some tips on what I can be eating and doing to shed that fat around my waist (and keep it off) while still eating decently enough to put on some muscle mass where it's needed (and where it looks good!). I've been trying to use MFP in the weight loss mode (I want to knock off a couple of kilos before a holiday), but that gives me no space to eat right for working out - as soon as I try and eat increased quantities of protein to turn into muscle, I'm miles over my calories.

Any ideas on what I should be doing?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You can only do one or the other you can't put on muscle while in a calorie deficit and to lose weight you need a calorie deficit. So you need to decide which you're going to do
  • Dean649
    Dean649 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You bulk up first then you lean out. Eat to gain muscle, work hard, when you get to a size you want, then you change your diet to lean out.
  • whatyouwill
    whatyouwill Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You bulk up first then you lean out. Eat to gain muscle, work hard, when you get to a size you want, then you change your diet to lean out.

Could you go on a primarily fat burning diet and clear up the excess fat before moving onto heavy resistance to begin building muscle?
  • badoerfan
    badoerfan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I guess I could... just been hoping to do both at once in a way.

Just to clarify, it's not that I'm trying to lose lots of weight. But since I've started bulking up (and eating the things I need for that) I've started putting on weight around the waist. I just want to control that and get a little slimmer there while continuing to work the rest of my body.
  • whatyouwill
    Options

Just to clarify, it's not that I'm trying to lose lots of weight. But since I've started bulking up (and eating the things I need for that) I've started putting on weight around the waist. I just want to control that and get a little slimmer there while continuing to work the rest of my body.

Yeah, sorry I kind of hijacked the thread for my own purposes. I want to lose approx. 30lbs, and tone and build at the same time/afterwards. So a different situation.

Have you tried doing some cardio in there as well, could help stop the unwanted bulk?
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    You can only do one or the other you can't put on muscle while in a calorie deficit and to lose weight you need a calorie deficit. So you need to decide which you're going to do

Not necessarily true. See:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kelly3.htm

http://www.trunity.net/ebookfreereviews/topics/view/51cbfc58f702fc2ba812375f/
  • badoerfan
    Options

Very useful, thanks, especially that first one. I think it's aimed at people going for bigger gains than me, but definitely something to think about and adapt for my own use.

I guess to some extent the key is just finding time to do a decent amount of cardio. Since I've started lifting, that's what's suffered in a way, compared to a year or so ago. So it's time to get back on the treadmill and to the spin class between the lifting days :).

Can anyone recommend any particular foods that would be good for building lean muscle, but are unlikely to sit on my waist as fat?
  • whatyouwill
    Options

Very useful, thanks, especially that first one. I think it's aimed at people going for bigger gains than me, but definitely something to think about and adapt for my own use.

I guess to some extent the key is just finding time to do a decent amount of cardio. Since I've started lifting, that's what's suffered in a way, compared to a year or so ago. So it's time to get back on the treadmill and to the spin class between the lifting days :).

Can anyone recommend any particular foods that would be good for building lean muscle, but are unlikely to sit on my waist as fat?

Turkey Breast is has a fantastic lack of fat/high in protein ratio :)
  • badoerfan
    Options
    Oh yes! I kinda knew that, but had forgotten it. Will swap out my chicken for turkey. Thanks!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Yeah, sorry I kind of hijacked the thread for my own purposes. I want to lose approx. 30lbs, and tone and build at the same time/afterwards. So a different situation.

Have you tried doing some cardio in there as well, could help stop the unwanted bulk?

If you have that much to lose, you probably don't want to build muscle, but retain it. When a person eats in a deficit they lose water, fat, and muscle. When you lift heavy in that deficit you work to retain that muscle so you lose mainly fat and water. The end game here is increased strength and stripping away the fat that covers your muscle mass, thus giving you "tone".

Yes, you can "build muscle" in a slight deficit as a "recomp", but that's far from bulking up. Everything from diet to exercise needs to be 100% on point and it's still a painfully long process that isn't going to add with appreciable gains.

The morbidly obese, returning athlete, or severely undertrained can add some decent mass early in a deficit but the gains will be short lived.