How to say NO to free food

Options
I’ve recently started a job working with the executives of a large corporation, and I have discovered free snack always out in the kitchen and lunch is ordered for us often. I am trying very hard to resist all the food that is around all the time and eating the healthier options when lunch is provided, and I have done pretty well so far (only one slip up so far.) Any advice on how to say no to all the cookies and chips that are always catching my eye?

Replies

• merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Stay out of the kitchen! lol
  • AllieWhiteley
    Options
    Try having a glass of water instead maybe? At least that way you have something in your hand.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I’ve recently started a job working with the executives of a large corporation, and I have discovered free snack always out in the kitchen and lunch is ordered for us often. I am trying very hard to resist all the food that is around all the time and eating the healthier options when lunch is provided, and I have done pretty well so far (only one slip up so far.) Any advice on how to say no to all the cookies and chips that are always catching my eye?

just say no!
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Bring some crisp veggies and a low cal dip. When those chips catch your eye, you'll know that there is something healthier waiting in your desk.
  • bootoou
    bootoou Posts: 22
    Options
    Just say no thank-you and continue to be proud of what you are accomplishing. make a game of it how many days can you resist temptation or if it is something with peanut butter today I can eat it, if not gotta wait til you guess what it is.
  • jhagen65
    Options
    Someone mentioned "stay out of the kitchen...LOl" but I would have to agreee. There is always food in the kitchen at my office and I simply stay away. Out of sight - out of mind! Good luck!
  • carrieann8080
    Options
    That is really tough....someone brings in doughnuts every week here and some days it is torture....I just keep telling myself that the doughnut is not worth a 2 mile run to burn off :) This may sound weird but sometimes I will just smell them and I am content with that! Good luck and stay strong!!
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Flex your will power, its really the only way. Hard but you can do it.
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    You just have to tell yourself no :) it helps to have healthier options with you!
  • MissLunaChic
    MissLunaChic Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When i crave something that is readily available, i will look up the calorie value of the food. Once I looked up the calorie value of some FREE "Low Fat" Blueberry muffins that a co-worker had purchased. Once I saw how BAD that food was, I was disgusted enough to want to eat it. Is consuming all those calories really worth it after all the hard work you've put yourself through to get to where you are?
  • Namoyska
    Options
    I always try to think that it would take a minute or less to eat the bit of food and in 5-10 mins time I will have forgotten all about it, so I might as well forget it now and be pleased with myself that I resisted, because the chances are its "bad" food - high fat/high carb. Do I want that piece of food more than I want to be slim? Food is momentary - once you've eaten it, thats it, its gone! Does that help? Maybe not, but its all about readjusting your mind set.
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Do you know who is responsible for ordering the snacks and lunches? If so ask them to offer healthier options.

Since you are new, why not bring in a veggie or fruit platter and see how it goes over, that would be a sublte way of introducing leaner foods .

Karen
  • nubreeze33
    Options
    I agree with whoever said stay out of the kitchen, seriously you are on a journey to a healthier you so you have to change your focus and your will power! I am a restaurant manager so temptation is always around me allllll the time.....you have to just change and stick to your commitment you made to yourself. You can do it! stay focused.
  • Scarletblue
    Options
    I like sweetpandoras idea
  • qtrhrsewoman
    Options
    Just say no thank-you and continue to be proud of what you are accomplishing. make a game of it how many days can you resist temptation or if it is something with peanut butter today I can eat it, if not gotta wait til you guess what it is.

I play the how long can I resist temptation at the grocery store. It is hard for me to walk down the aisles and see all the yummy junk food I'd like to throw in the basket. I made it into a game to see if I can make it through the whole store without breaking down. It works for me. But I'm really competitive, even if it is against myself!
  • paigeofpearls
    Options
    I found out a few years ago that I was allergic to dairy. It was so difficult to stop eating it, because it was a staple in my diet! And last year I found out I'm allergic to SUGAR! At first it was really tough to give those up. But I had to make a conscious choice of whether it was worth the inflamed eyes, breakouts, and other awful effects to have those forbidden foods, or whether I could be satisfied with smelling the deliciousness of it all. I've come to the conclusion that smelling yummy foods is sometimes a better option! I can think of it as aromatherapy and stop obsessing about how I can't eat it. Now I don't have a problem being around chocolate, which is a huge step for me!
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. My department LOVES to bring in food. There's frequently bagels, donuts, cookies, you name it. Typically I get lucky and it's gone before I come in (I work the closing shift 530 pm - 2 am), but occasionally there's some left. I just either have just one of whatever it is and count that as my dinner, or skip it altogether. I haven't gone over my calories yet so I think I'm doing okay.
  • amandakay23
    Options
    Ever since I have been tracking it I have been able to say no easier, it is the same way at my work. I plan out my food for the day the night before and I end up with no room for what other people bring. I make sure that I have a sweet snack included in my lunch bag like Quaker Delights rice cakes.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as "free food". It costs you in calories.

Maybe add up all the unnecessary "free food" and committ to train it off at the end of the night, so for every 300 calories of biscuits munched, it'll be a 3 mile run. :wink: