Struggling to lose weight, need ideas!

Options
I started working out and eating better March of 2013, by the end of the year I had lost 51 pounds. I weighed myself January 1st of this year and was up 3lbs over night. Ever since then I have gained 18lbs back this year, I didn't do anything defferent than before. I've done Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, T25, and Turbo Fire workouts. My mother has done Weight Watchers for years so my family eats healthy to start with. I had my gallbladder out 11 weeks ago and thought maybe that was keeping me from losing weight with the way I had major pain after I ate and my eating schedule and diet were a little off because of it. After I could start working out again I started back up with T25 and have gained more weight! I figured I would gain a little since I am used to lifting very heavy boxes, like 50-100lbs, daily and couldn't lift over 20lbs for 6 weeks and lost a lot of muscle, that I would gain back muscle weight.

I have no idea what to do, I've tried reducing my sugar intake the last couple of weeks as much as possible, but as I am a baker that is quite hard! I've started eating fruit as a snack in the moring and almonds in the afternoon. I usually eat between 1,200-1,500 calories a day and burn 200-400 calories a day. I'm at a loss of what to do, please help!

Replies

• monicapatituccijones
    monicapatituccijones Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Under normal conditions, I might have suggestions, but the fact that you have just had surgery makes me think you should talk to your doctor. Surgery can really throw your body off, and all pain should be addressed. It could be the sign of a complication, or at least something you need to be aware of. You could be retaining water, too. Do you feel bloated?

At any rate, if you're sure you're eating at a deficit, speak to your doctor.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Barring medical complications the truth is you probably just need to tighten up the food intake to make sure you are really at a deficit. Most people who have been dieting for a while become "experts" and stop doing all the stuff that led them to their initial success such as honestly weighing and measuring their food.

Also, starting to workout again after a long break will mess with your water weight for a while as your body retains more to repair muscles. This is pretty normal and the only way to really account for it is to keep working out until the fat loss exceeds the water weight after a while.

I wouldn't get discouraged though. You already know how to lose weight. Eat less and move more. If you workout frequently and eat at a true deficit, you will always lose weight so the issue is most likely just with the food and not properly accounting for the calories eaten.

Good luck!
  • BeccaBaker2013
    BeccaBaker2013 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've thought about talking to my doctor just didn't want to rush there first. I always weigh and meausre my food and drink at least 8-10 cups of water a day. I have noticed bloating in my stomach. I have very little pain now after surgery, which is common after gallbladder surgery and has been getting less and less like it should. I've been working out for 5 weeks now and thought my body would be back on track by now since even though I couldn't do intense workouts after surgery I could still walk and walked as much as I could after. I am also on my feet and move most of the day.
  • czechyou
    czechyou Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you've got a sweet tooth: Sweet potato baked in the oven with almond butter/ natural peanut butter and cinnamon is a great side dish for chicken or salmon with veggies, tastes absolutely amazing! Also, Quest Bars are great for protein and fiber as well as tasting like a treat. Overnight oats with cinnamon/raisins/almond butter as well is an amazing healthy delicious breakfast! There are so many online recipes for sweet omelettes and protein pancakes that will fill you up alllll day and will stop you from straying from your diet.

I would also advise you don't think of your new lifestyle as a diet, more of a lifestyle change! Treat youself now and again, you deserve it :) I follow eatclean_livestrong on instagram for AMAZING recipes for healthy treats! If you're a baker, it should be easy for you as well. Good luck!!