How do you entertain yourself at the gym?

Options
Jdigs88
Jdigs88 Posts: 71 Member
I know many people enjoy working out, and some don't use music or anything at all, they just focus. I'm not one of those people. For me, good music or TV helps take my mind off how much time I have left, and I actually end up working out harder because I'm not thinking about it as much.

For those of you who read, play games, listen to music, etc. at the gym - what do you do? What's your favorite show to watch, podcast to listen to, game to play, or songs to play? Do you have a source for playlists? If you read, is it hard to focus on letters when moving or turn pages?

I'm looking for suggestions and places to start to add to my collection of distraction methods. I tried reading yesterday and it failed miserably. I've made a pretty good spotify workout playlist, but even music gets old sometimes. Would love to vary it up with your help!

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    iPod Nano
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I listen to music even when I love doing my workout and even now that most of my workouts are at home. I go through phases on the specific music I like, but the general idea of upbeat and happy pretty much carries through all my workout playlists.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    working out keeps me pretty busy.

But if I'm on the stairmaster I use netflix on my phone.
  • dalesimpson1
    dalesimpson1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    When I'm on the treadmill in the hotel I watch Dexter or something similar on Netflix on my tablet.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    100% of the time i listen to my IPOD. If I am doing the recumbant bike I read but I can't read for the entire time because I tend to not workout as hard as I could for the distraction of reading.
  • cgoebert94
    cgoebert94 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I usually just listen to music when working out/at the gym. It helps me keep a good pace and keep my mind off of things. One day I went on the elliptical and did some homework reading & when I was done reading I didn't even realize how far I went.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I listen to audio books.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    pushing and pulling heavy things is entertainment enough for me. I will sometimes listen to music to help me focus and drown out the distractions around me...but the workout itself is pretty tough and I don't think I'd be doing any reading.

I don't really do cardio equipment at the gym unless I absolutely am forced inside due to in-climate weather...and it has to be pretty damned in-climate. I enjoy riding my bike as my primary form of cardio and do it outside...seeing the world go by on a bicycle is pretty entertaining.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Trying not to puke while doing Crossfit is pretty much all the entertainment I need :happy:

When I do cardio,( very rarely,) I might put music on.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Watch my rolls as they fly up in my face. Use that as motivation to either puke, cry or work harder.

No really I go to bootcamp, the trainer is exceptionally entertaining. Her bootcamp is like 10X cheaper than any gym in town, and I work my butt a lot harder there than I would by my self.
  • Teresa_3266
    Teresa_3266 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I have my gym in my home and usually watch recorded episodes of General Hospital. Keeps me moving just so I can see what happens next. :happy:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    People watch and music.
  • hmroebuck
    hmroebuck Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm working too hard to need to entertain myself. I do always have some sort of music going though.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Watch my rolls as they fly up in my face. Use that as motivation to either puke, cry or work harder.

No really I go to bootcamp, the trainer is exceptionally entertaining. Her bootcamp is like 10X cheaper than any gym in town, and I work my butt a lot harder there than I would by my self.

I feel like I am going to die in my Bootcamp. I dont find that too entertaining!!! LOL!
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Wu tang or heavy metal keeps pushing and focused!
  • ammeg1234
    ammeg1234 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I listen to playlists on Spotify on my iphone.. i make sure they are fast paced and upbeat songs, and usually a lot of them are songs that remind me of people I don't like/people that are skinner than me!! Those songs always get me working harder!!
  • mackie_pants
    mackie_pants Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Another audiobook fan. I decided to only listen to them while exercising and now I frequently find myself doing "just 5 more minutes" so that I can keep listening to my book.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I lift, so I'm usually busy and the time goes fast.

When I do run I do interval runs and I'm busy watching the clock for my next run or walk marker.

Basically I just find a way to be fully involved in the workout mentally and physically. Makes the time go fast.
  • aguycalledsteve
    Options
    You shouldn't need entertaining when working out. If you're bored then you're not trying hard enough.