Why is exercise getting harder and harder?

I have been running moderately 2-3 times a week since April and cannot seem to gain any headway. I do 25-30 minutes of jogging, with an addl. 5 minute warmup and 5 minute cool-down of walking. And yet it never gets any easier. I still get winded easily. I still have to stop 7-8 times during my jog to walk to catch my breath and lower my heartbeat.

It doesn't seem to be overtraining -- I started running again last October, following the couch-to-5K plan. I ran through the winter on a treadmill and since that felt different than outside, I started again on C25K plan in April.

At first I was also trying to do strength training 2-3 times a week, and occasional cross-training but I eliminated those since they were making running even harder.

I run very slow -- about a 14-to-15-minute mile I estimate.

I'm overweight but not obese -- about 160 pounds and 5'7". I'm middle-aged --45 years -- but not a senior.

After 4 months of trying to work up to a modest 2 or 2.5 miles, should it be getting at least slightly easier? Why can't I even go 1 mile without gasping for air? Shouldn't I be getting stronger? What is going on? Can anyone help?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    It could be mental.

It could be a fueling issue. Is your calorie intake low?

Also the first mile is always the hardest. It sit until later in my run that I start to feel better, get my breathing down.
    If you are getting to the point you need to catch your breath, you may still be running to fast and need to slow down a bit.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    I'm curious, what made you choose running over strength training?
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    It could be mental.

It could be a fueling issue. Is your calorie intake low?

That's what I reckon.

My first year of using MFP all my gym visits were really tough in terms of finding the energy to do stuff. I was eating way under 2k cals. Nowadays I try to eat over 2k and sometimes nearly 3k - training is a hell of a lot easier (although it's still unpleasant in summer).
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    There are breathing techniques that can help you not get so winded. While running, breathe in twice and breathe out 3x and get a good rhythm going (in-in-out-out-out). Don't run too to fast until you get this pattern down.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Yes, it is getting harder! I ran a marathon in Spring and a Half Marathon on Sunday just gone. Sunday was baking hot and it was HARD. I wont say the marathon was easier but you definitely notice how quickly heat drains you.

Here's my handy hints:

1) Hydrate. For the distance you're doing. a sip of water every 5 minutes.
    2) Have a rest from running, say 2 weeks. replace with cycling if possible (cycling helps build cadence so you will actually run faster).
    3) Have a sports massage. You will be amazed how much build up you get over time if you run regularly and don't stretch it out enough. Give yourself 3 days to recover from the massage before expecting to be back at your best. Ideally, do this in your rest period (see 2)
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    I run very slow -- about a 14-to-15-minute mile I estimate.

I'm overweight but not obese -- about 160 pounds and 5'7". I'm middle-aged --45 years -- but not a senior.

After 4 months of trying to work up to a modest 2 or 2.5 miles, should it be getting at least slightly easier? Why can't I even go 1 mile without gasping for air? Shouldn't I be getting stronger? What is going on? Can anyone help?

I could have written this myself - this was me 4 years ago when I first started running - right down to height, weight and age. I'm sorry to say, it's still me today although I run a tad bit faster than you - 12-1/2 min mile. But that's what I ran when I started too. I thought I might see improvement but no. Last summer I was running just about every day and I managed to work up to 5k. My best time was 38 min. I'm not running as much this year because I started lifting, but when I do I struggle to get 30 min - which for me is about 4k. My hubby sometimes walks beside me when I run and the times he runs too, he hasn't even broken a sweat at the end of 5k. Me? I'm soaked to the skin and can't breathe!

Sorry I'm not much help - I just wanted to let you know, you're not alone! :flowerforyou:
  • bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    If you're repeatedly gasping for air, I'd running this by your doctor to make sure it isn't something like exercise induced asthma.
  • kwaz29
    kwaz29 Posts: 190 Member
    Are you tracking your runs?

I say this to my boyfriend all the time, that I hate running because it never gets any easier, and he always reminds me that it won't necessarily ever get easier, you just get faster. Related to this, I still struggle on my runs and still feel exhausted/out of breath every time, but because I am tracking I see that I am getting faster and faster.

I would recommend using an app like MapMyRun or Endomondo to track your runs and see how far you are going and how fast you are going. It is fun to watch your pace per mile decrease each time and gives you some solid data and encouragement.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    I'm curious, what made you choose running over strength training?

Or zumba or swimming or... Maybe running isn't your thing. If you find a workout you love, it will get easier.
  • timd3560
    timd3560 Posts: 4
    Could be the summer humidity as well. I went through the same thing here in Virginia when the first heat wave hit. I had gotten up to 6 miles and could barely do 2. Humidity will wear you down quick.
  • shellywoman
    shellywoman Posts: 2 Member
    give yourself a break. try a run walk program. I would suggest run 2 walk 2 run 2 walk 1 run 2 walk 2 run 2 walk 1 and repeat to increase distance. it does not matter how you get to the finish line or how long it takes to get there. it is important that you do it safely. when i first started running 30 seconds of only running was a huge success, I felt amazing. take it slow and steady - your goals will shift as you gain strength. and i would suggest strength training to supplement your training. the stronger the body, the stronger the runner. see a GOOD trainer for suggestions. you'll do well.
  • jacque930
    jacque930 Posts: 122 Member
    With any exercise I do, I find my nutrition is a part of it.
    If I have too many carbs from grains/bread/pasta leading up to my workout then I tend to lag in my workouts. I eat more fruits, veggies & nuts for snacks leading up to workout and I have more energy to get thru.

Just a suggestion. I am not a runner but I have noted this during any workout I do from cardio to weight training.