Inexpensive Protein Suggestions?

Options
chivalryder
chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
I'm looking to alternative ways to add more protein into my diet. I'm currently adding a breast and a half of chicken every day to hit my macros, and it's proving to be quite expensive. I'm hoping to find a less expensive alternative to chicken.

Now, here's the kicker: I have a lot of food sensitivities. I cannot have any dairy (including whey), no soy, no almonds, no peanuts, etc. I'm also not looking for add any more fat into my diet.

I do have vegan protein powder, but it's not exactly cheap either. The stuff I get is $30 for 600g, of which about 16g of a 32g scoop is actually protein.

Do any of you have any suggestions for how to add more protein into my diet?

Replies

• DanielCathers
    DanielCathers Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    #1 Don't be afraid of fat.

#2 Are you sure you can't have 100% whey protein isolate? Also, there are plenty of powders out there.

Here's one. I'm not necessarily sure about recommending soy though, but if it works for you:

http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/100-soy-protein-p-221.html?zenid=23765754c4eeed34a2fb235172292fb5

More protein per scoop, more scoops for the same price.
  • fallingtrees
    fallingtrees Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Eggs. Whole grains. Beans. Corn tortillas.
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    beans, peas, other legumes. whole grains as others have suggest. quinoa.
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    tuna
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Eggs. Our go to meal at home is scrambling a bunch of egg whites with veggies. Yummy and quick.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    There's a thread similar to yours that also started this morning, so you might look and see if there are different options there. That person also had food allergies.

Beef jerky
    eggs (I like hardboiled for a snack at work)
    tuna
  • FantASSticallyFit
    FantASSticallyFit Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    To answer the first responder, YES - If you can't have dairy then whey is a HUGE offender. It will come right back out.

I'm lactose intollerant as well but this one does not offend my body: PLAIN GREEK YOGURT! Add 1/4c of frozen wild blueberries (at that rate, a bag will last forever) and 1/4c of protein granola (sold in the cereal area for $3 bag) and 1tsp of local honey. Also, sneak plain greek yogurt into other things - as dips for your veggies (just mix with dill or ranch seasoning packets), as sour cream.

Chicken is still one of the protein winners. I know that organic is ideal but obviously very expensive. In my local Walmart, family packs of chicken breasts are $1.99/lb week after week.

Egg whites. Get creative with them. You can throw a cooked egg white (or whole egg) on top of many foods to make it more fun. On sandwiches, burgers, pasta dishes... chopped up and thrown into rice dishes, salads.

Beans. I love beans. Bean salads! Mmmmm Toss black beans, kidney beans, white beans, vinigar mixed with honey, cilantro and seasonings together!
  • Lyndonbearsmommy
    Lyndonbearsmommy Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of ground lean turkey (93/7). It has more iron and fat than turkey breast. I use it in place of ground beef a lot.
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    egg whites...
    How about beef protein powder? This one is less than $1 per scoop...24g protein in 39g scoop with 110 calories and no fat.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/muscletech/essential-series-platinum-100-percent-beef-protein.html

This sounds like a better plant protein than the one you have and its about $1 per scoop with 21g protein in a 30g scoop...
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/nutrafusion-nutritionals/plantfusion.html
  • dtran320
    dtran320 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey chivalryder,

Wow, it must be really tough to hit your daily protein goal with those food sensitivities. Major props to your clean eating for managing it so far.

I'll try to suggest some stuff based on grams of protein per dollar. If the vegan protein is $30 for 600 g, of which 300g is protein, that comes in at about 10 g/$1.

Have you tried eggs (6g) (and possibly just egg whites, 3g but much better calorie to protein ratio). $2 - $3 for a dozen comes out to 72 g of protein/$3 = 24 g/$1.

How about canned tuna/other fish? If you avoid the stuff in vegetable oil, it can be a good, cheap source of protein as well. I have found that cheaper canned tunas aren't much on taste, but I can live with Bumblebee Solid White Albacore, which comes in 26 g of protein for just 120 calories. I've seen them go for $1.50 or less in packs or on sale, but even if you call it $2, that's 13 g/$1.

Hope that helps!
  • chivalryder
    Options
    First off: I totally forgot to mention that I can't eat eggs either.

I know, right?

Beef protein powder sounds like an option. I'll look into that. As for beans, quinoa, etc. I eat a lot of quinoa as well as spinach, ground beef, goats yogurt, and a few other things. I'm hitting all of my macros very well, but protein is coming in really low in my daily meal plan if I don't supplement it with an extra 200g of chicken every day. I'm looking for foods that are high in protein (and maybe a little fat - it's in my macro range, but it could be higher).

Thank you for all the suggestions. I'll definitely check out ym options.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Absolute cheapest protein sources I've found (YMMV--regionally dependent on food prices) is chicken breast (can find for $1.99/lb--buy in bulk), beans (buy them dry in 2-5lb/bags--$1.50 or less/lb), and good old eggs ($1.40/dz--but you have to eat the whole egg to get the "best price" per gram of protein):

Yes, I've calculated this (at above prices), lol:

Chicken breast--$1.90 per 100g of protein
    Beans (I like pinto--dried)--$1.60 per 100g of protein (BONUS--fiber rich)
    Eggs--$1.90 per 100g of protein

I haven't found cheaper sources than this, outside of whey powder (which of course, you cannot take). Good luck:flowerforyou:

Edit: Sorry, missed your egg allergy, but perhaps my suggestions can help another member! And, yeah, I eat chicken and beans, a LOT, lol! Oh, if you like, yea tuna (I hate it, so I go with canned sardines--you can buy them packed in water to lower the fat). Just another suggestion to break the food boredom.
  • williams969
    Options
    Hey, OP--I just looked at your macros. 197g/protein is very high, even for your stats. Is there a reason for that? Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge proponent of protein, but you really only need 0.8-1g/lb of LBM to retain as much muscle mass as you can.

If your profile stats are current (~231lbs/35.2%BF), that's only 120-150g protein a day. If you're open to that type of protein intake, I betcha you'll find those numbers much more attainable. I know I can hit 100g no problem, only takes choking down <100g of chicken a day (plus other stuff).
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Moar beef protein powder options:

Less than $1/serving 23g protein 110 cal
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/san/titanium-beef-isolate.html

Less than $1/serving 23g protein 116 cal
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/side-effect-sports/prime-protein.html

Less than $1/serving 23g protein 124 cal
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/musclemeds/carnivor.html

Edit: Pay no attention to the huge steroid infused dudes pictured on the ads...they are just protein supplements
  • chivalryder
    Options
    I calculated my macro from this thread:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

Protein: Protein intake is a bit of a controversial issue in nutrition. The general recommendations given in the 'bodybuilding' area are nearly double the 'standard' recommendations given in the Sports Nutrition Arena.
    The GENERAL sports nutrition guideline based on clinical trials suggest that in the face of ADEQUATE calories and CARBS the following protein intakes are sufficient:
    STRENGTH training -> 1.4 to 2g per KG bodyweight (about .6 / pound)
    ENDURANCE training -> 1.2 to 1.8g per KG bodyweight (about .8 / pound)
    ADOLESCENT in training -> 1.8 to 2.2g per KG bodyweight (about 1g / pound)
    BUT researchers also acknowledge that protein becomes MORE important in the context of LOWER calorie intakes, or LOWER carb intakes.
    Recent evidence also suggests that protein intakes of 3g/kg help with physiological and psychological stressors associated with high volume or intense training.
    One should also note that ADEQUATE v's OPTIMAL is not discussed when it comes to hypertrophy v's performance.
    And lastly - you need to consider thermogenics/ satiety/ and personal preference.

So - General 'bodybuilding' guidelines for protein would be as follows:
    - Moderate bodyfat and training load = 2.2-2.8g per kg TOTAL weight (about 1-1.25g per pound)
    - Very Low bodyfat or Very Low Calorie or High training load = 2.4 - 3g per kg TOTAL weight (1.1-1.35g per pound)
    - High bodyfat, high calorie, or low training load = 1.6 to 2.2g per kg TOTAL weight (.75 - 1g per pound)
    Anecdotally, as most find HIGHER protein intake better for satiety, partitioning, blood sugar control, and hypertrophy. UNLESS you have medical reasons for lower protein, or unless guided to use the GENERAL sports nutrition guidelines, I would suggest the BODYBUILDING values.
  • williams969
    Options
    I calculated my macro from this thread:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

Protein: Protein intake is a bit of a controversial issue in nutrition. The general recommendations given in the 'bodybuilding' area are nearly double the 'standard' recommendations given in the Sports Nutrition Arena.
    The GENERAL sports nutrition guideline based on clinical trials suggest that in the face of ADEQUATE calories and CARBS the following protein intakes are sufficient:
    STRENGTH training -> 1.4 to 2g per KG bodyweight (about .6 / pound)
    ENDURANCE training -> 1.2 to 1.8g per KG bodyweight (about .8 / pound)
    ADOLESCENT in training -> 1.8 to 2.2g per KG bodyweight (about 1g / pound)
    BUT researchers also acknowledge that protein becomes MORE important in the context of LOWER calorie intakes, or LOWER carb intakes.
    Recent evidence also suggests that protein intakes of 3g/kg help with physiological and psychological stressors associated with high volume or intense training.
    One should also note that ADEQUATE v's OPTIMAL is not discussed when it comes to hypertrophy v's performance.
    And lastly - you need to consider thermogenics/ satiety/ and personal preference.

So - General 'bodybuilding' guidelines for protein would be as follows:
    - Moderate bodyfat and training load = 2.2-2.8g per kg TOTAL weight (about 1-1.25g per pound)
    - Very Low bodyfat or Very Low Calorie or High training load = 2.4 - 3g per kg TOTAL weight (1.1-1.35g per pound)
    - High bodyfat, high calorie, or low training load = 1.6 to 2.2g per kg TOTAL weight (.75 - 1g per pound)
    Anecdotally, as most find HIGHER protein intake better for satiety, partitioning, blood sugar control, and hypertrophy. UNLESS you have medical reasons for lower protein, or unless guided to use the GENERAL sports nutrition guidelines, I would suggest the BODYBUILDING values.

Of course, opinions will differ (and satiety, etc. needs, as stated in your quote). However, the bolded is suggested protein intakes for a bulk (i.e. bodybuilding). So, if you are bulking, then the higher protein intake makes sense. My mistake, I assumed you were in weight loss (a cut). In which case, the 0.6g/lb (or alternatively, 0.8-1g/lb LBM, since you have those numbers available) would apply.
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Eggs, tofu, beans, and lentils. I got this bean and pea pasta. It has 20g of protein per serving and about 10g of carbs, so it's good if you're watching carbs
  • pj573
    pj573 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I get liquid egg whites from Costco. The are about $8 for 6 pints (about 50g protein per container) and no fat. They microwave easily and are pasteurized if you want to make a smoothie.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    Ummm... Where did it say anything about bulking?

It did mention a high training load, which would suggest bulking, but that's 1.1-1.35g/lb of bodyweight.