heart rate and being fat

Options
ok I'm 6'4" and been working on losing weight off and on but the past month have realized I need to really focus on it and not just do a little here and there like I had been. I had been walking a good 3 miles at least once a week since april, but now try and get 2 miles per day 3mph pace walks in ... my heart rate at resting use to be 60 to 65 ... but now at resting is at 55 to 60 ... and also last night went down to 47 ... I was told not to worry about it being so low unless it gets down into the 30s??? but I can't help but worry that something is up ... my blood pressure is almost perfect 117/78 and at times a bit higher around 130/85 etc.

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    It's not an issue as long as you feel good. My HR gets down into the 40's frequently. It's OK, but if you're concerned, ask your Dr. about it.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Who told you not to worry? Your doctor?

When did you last see a doctor?

Are you taking any medications?
  • Synchronicity
    Synchronicity Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Exercise strengthens the heart and helps it to pump more efficiently. Small changes in heart rate (and really, from resting of 60-65 to resting of 55-60 is a very small change) are common as you become more active. And resting heart rate always varies throughout the day as your alertness and hormone levels fluctuate.

All of this is normal. :) There is no need to worry so long as you are not experiencing other symptoms- shortness of breath, fatigue, dizziness, etc.,
  • Synchronicity
    Synchronicity Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Who told you not to worry? Your doctor?

When did you last see a doctor?

Yah... at this point, there really isn't anything to worry about... no doctor needed, he is not in a pathological state.

BUT OP, if you are worried, pick up the phone and call your Doctor's office. He/She will set your mind at ease.
  • Russquatch
    Russquatch Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    the RN at my Dr. office told me not to worry. I saw my dr. last week and see him again monday. I'm not on any meds. no light headed feelings or shortness of breath.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    First off, you need to make sure you verify you have no health conditions affecting this after a checkup with your doctor.

If so, and your blood pressure is fine, and you are not having energy problems, then its typically not a problem. Its very common to have a low resting rate as you get more and more fit. Athletic people can be in the 40s easily, some highly trained elite athletes into the 30s.

I have a resting rate around 40-45 now as I have become fitter, down from about 60 and I still have fat to get rid of.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I'm actually more shocked that a man of your height and weight had such a low resting heart rate in the first place.
  • Russquatch
    Russquatch Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    that's kind of what is causing me worry, it doesn't seem to be normal for a guy my size to be this low
    ... I haven't weighed in since I've started, I know I've lost, but I know there's no way it would be anymore than 10 maybe 15 pounds I find out next week where I'm at.