When is the best time for exercise?

Options
Hello, I have a bit of challenge here. I’m trying to figure what time of the day is the best to fit an hour for fitness or outdoor exercise. I tried running in the mornings before breakfast, but feel low on energy and barely can finish the lap around Balboa Park. I tried to go to Club 360 in the evenings for total body workout class, but feel too energized in the evening after that and cannot fall a sleep until 3am. Any suggestions?

Replies

• oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's different for everyone. The best time of day to exercise is the time you'll enjoy it most. This prevents feeling like exercise is a chore, and sometimes can even help motivate you to exercise! I like to workout after work, or in the afternoon on days that I'm off. It puts a boost into my evening and makes me feel good that I've done something productive in the day! Good luck.

Best,
    Ashley
  • pell53
    pell53 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Mornings! Eat a little - give yourself 30 minutes or so and then make it happen. As the day goes on too many things will get in your way and give you a chance to NOT exercise. Get it done and feel great all day - no more excuses. :-)
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone. It depends on when you have the time, the energy, the motivation. Find what works for you :)
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    If you feel too tired in the mornings to exercise, try going to bed earlier for a while. Not only will you feel more able to exercise in the morning, but going to bed earlier will help cut out eating at night too. This technique really helped me to have more energy/motivation when I first started exercising.
  • catniss
    catniss Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    And if you do work-out in the evening, maybe try a class like Pilates or Yoga--something that won't rev you up quite as much. If you have Netflix and a Wii, you can get free instant access and there are lots and lots of exercise DVD's and there is one called Candlelight Yoga that is a decent workout but designed to be done at night.
  • brianc410
    brianc410 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I used to do morning workouts as well but I would get exhausted during cardio and light headed during weight training.

I now workout during my lunch break. I eat a good breakfast that will hold me over the morning, I typically lift weights for about 30 min and then go immediately into a cardio session (25-45 mins). This seems to work for me.

Fortunately my job is flexible with me taking a 2 hour lunch break. Otherwise I'd do my strength training before lunch and run before dinner.

The thing about workout times is to be flexible. Don't make ultimatums like "Darn, I couldn't work out this morning therefore I can't workout at all."