Help with Whey Protein

Options
I have been doing some research on whey protein (as I am trying to find some quick alternatives for my high protein diet because I am so busy with work.) and a lot of the research suggested that whey protein is only for "dedicated athletes."

I work 9 hrs a day and hit the gym for 30 mins- 1 hr 6 days a week. I definitely do not qualify as an athlete, so I was wondering if whey protein would be healthy for me to add to my diet. I have no dairy allergies. My fitness goals are weight loss/tone up ( I am not obese).

The reason I ask about whey protein is that I've noticed a lot of the choices out there seem the most appetizing (I.e. the Cellucor brand has many dessert-like flavors that I would enjoy and want to drink everyday.)

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    its fine. whey is good for anyone who has trouble getting adequate protein.

ive heard the cellucor flavours are pretty damn good, but im pretty sure that they are more expensive than other brands
  • tomee638
    tomee638 Posts: 64
    Options
    I'm no doctor, but it's protein. It's for anyone who wants/needs more. There are also alot of places that say you should only go 1g protein/pound of body weight but there are countless people who do considerably more than that (including myself). I am also not an athlete. If you need more protein, it's a great way to get it. I use Optimum Nutrition.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see the research you've read.

In any case it's BS. Whey is simply a protein food source to help folks meet their protein macro. Feel free to add it to your diet if you think it will help you get your protein.
  • emilycompton54
    Options

In any case it's BS. Whey is simply a protein food source to help folks meet their protein macro. Feel free to add it to your diet if you think it will help you get your protein.

I don't have specific links, but I've read that in general on places like livestrong, and paleo friendly blogs. I am trying to do paleo, I do not think my body will be affected negatively by the dairy-based protein.

Thanks for your response.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options

I don't have specific links, but I've read that in general on places like livestrong, and paleo friendly blogs. I am trying to do paleo, I do not think my body will be affected negatively by the dairy-based protein.

general rule; dont trust blogs or articles without research to back them up. they can be completely untrue and you would never know otherwise unless you check their sources, they say only what the author wants them to say
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    anyone can add whey protein to their diets. you may be reading things that say you should drink more protein to reach macros if you are aiming to keep or add more lean muscle. either way, anyone can drink whey protein.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    You use whey if it fits your needs.....

There is whey in your milk
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I am trying to do paleo
    If you gonna take protein powder then you are not doing Paleo, technically.

But yes it won't harm you and is not bad for you. Unless you have lactose intolerance of course. It's just a food separated from other food - milk. Kinda like separating egg yolks from whites for example, it's still food. So if you need easy way how to get more protein it's great.
  • emilycompton54
    Options

Aaaaand there's the reason.

Paleo comes with a bias. They base their whole eating plan on eliminating certain foods, often without good reason.

I personally recommend not following it. But that's just my opinion and you'll do what you want.

But whey protein is a great way to up your protein levels, and that's important.

LOL thank you. I need to stop googling things I am curious about. I get so confused!!
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder because it makes tasty shakes, and it is a nice thing to have right after working out. I probably could get my protein goals filled without it, but it IS fast and easy, especially if you've got a high protein goal. It won't hurt to take it, unless it puts you way over your calories for the day.

I find that protein powders with more whey protein isolate than whey protein concentrate are better for my digestion. The concentrate, for some reason, makes my stomach hurt, and the rest of the day isn't awesome either. I've been told that there is less lactose in the isolate powders, and although I'm not lactose intolerant, if I eat a LOT of dairy in one day I have the same issue that I do with whey protein concentrate powders.

Also, egg protein powder tastes super weird, don't do it.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I am trying to do paleo
    If you gonna take protein powder then you are not doing Paleo, technically.

But yes it won't harm you and is not bad for you. Unless you have lactose intolerance of course. It's just a food separated from other food - milk. Kinda like separating egg yolks from whites for example, it's still food. So if you need easy way how to get more protein it's great.

The Keizen Natural ftrom NZ that I use is lactose free. Also pretty delicious.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I did take whey protein as well since I needed to gain 10 more lbs to get my ideal weight. However, it turned out bad according to my experience. Since then, I switch to a better solutions or protein shake and turns out it gives me a better result. I take the Juice Plus complete protein shake twice a day, before and after workout. The results are fantastic and unlike before, there is no side effect. I can give you the link of the product and you can try it by yourselves.

http://hc37895.juiceplus.com/content/JuicePlus/en/buy/complete/juice-plus--complete-variety.html#.U87KsfldVqU

Look at you being a stellar employee. You completely beat all the beach body coaches to the sales pitch before they could even pull out their shakeology reviews.