Staying on track when vacationing

Options
Does anyone else have a problem with staying on track with nutrition when on vacation? Do you cut yourself some slack and relax a little on sugar and salt intake? I find that normally I have a difficult time but this vacation is a little different. Maybe because I'm not in a hotel and have to take care of my every need on a budget. Maybe I've just learned a few tricks. What are some of your tips for staying on track and refraining from gaining back some of those hard to lose pounds?

P.S. It helps that I'm in Paris and have walked EVERYWHERE! :-)

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Paris would kill my diet. I'd know, I used to live there! Just don't overdo it. In my vacation I let myself have one treat a day (sweets), ate the rest in moderation, and I only gained 2 pounds, and I wasn't even THAT active.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,607 Member
    Options
    I normally try to get a hotel with a gym. If that is not possible I buy day passes at a local gym and do cardio in the morning while the OH sleeps in. Failing that, I do a lot of walking while sightseeing. I track walking on a fitness app (runtastic) and have found I need an external battery to keep it running all day.

Enjoy Paris. Eat the wonderful food. And be thankful that restaurant portion sizes in France are not crazy.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I always pack foods to eat that prevent bad snacking.
    for example i pack quest bars and oatmeal packets as well as some raw almonds

this helps me to skip bad snacks on the go esp in the airport
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I have actually lost on vacation before. I love exploring mostly on foot and get a ton of exercise. This lets me indulge a bit. I tend to go for local specialties like fried alligator or other things I would not cook or eat at home. Enjoy Paris.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I just try to make half way decent nutritional decisions while also allowing me to enjoy myself. I don't have any reason to track sugar or sodium so can't really help you there...I don't worry about those things as in general, my nutritional profile is pretty awesome.

Beyond that, nobody became fat because of vacation or a holiday or birthday or any other OCCASION. People get fat when they treat every day like an occasion.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Eat as much as you feel like, just keep the carbs in moderation ? Personally speaking, I think it would be alcohol would be the tricky one more than food when on holiday when its so easy to have a drink or two most days whereas at home I probably wouldn't drink at all.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I go balls out! Hey it's vacation
  • caseypcarlin
    caseypcarlin Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think it's probably a little different for everyone. For me, truly being on vacation means enjoying the local cuisine!!! It's part of the experience. That being said, I usually work out at the gym at the hotel if available or find ways to stay active. Everything in moderation, have a healthy breakfast and dinner, but indulge at lunchtime! I expect to gain weight on a vacation and unless I have something I want to look my best for coming up shortly after I am totally okay with that.