Any vacation ideas for Virginia/West Virginia?

Options
CaddieMay
CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
Next month I will be going to Virginia/West Virginia with my 80 year old mom and my sister. We will be traveling along the Blue Ridge Parkway, Shenandoah NP, and going a bit into West Virginia. I've researched the area quite a bit and found some neat places to go, but I'd like some input from you guys. Now, we don't want to see any museums or shopping outlets. This is strictly an outdoors adventure. Though my mom is old, she is up for some kayaking and mild white-water rafting. And as far as lodging, we are looking for cabins or inexpensive motels.

Basically, we are looking for fantastic scenery and a place where we can cool off in a lake or a river. Any ideas?

Replies

• CaddieMay
    Options
    Bump, please!
  • dnak17
    dnak17 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Lots of good wineries and some breweries in the area. I usually have a lot of fun going to two or three of them for a day trip. One or two might make a good change of pace. Can't help you with the more outdoorsy activities except to say I had a blast white-water rafting somewhere in that general area.
  • CaddieMay
    Options
    Thank you so far. Any more ideas, good people?
  • caitrocks8
    caitrocks8 Posts: 10
    Options
    Luray Caverns is a must!

Not really much in the line of rafting....there are some great rivers to float down, though! Also, VA has some beautiful wineries.

Charlottesville for good food and relaxing.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    if you like history... Harper's Ferry and maybe a short trip into MD to visit the Antietam battlefield.
  • CaddieMay
    Options
    Luray, Harper's Ferry, Antietam. Yep!
  • CaddieMay
    Options
    Bumping for even more ideas!
  • tjbish02
    tjbish02 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you find yourself near Lexington, it is worth it to stop in. The town itself has very strict zoning so there are no fast food or chains within the town proper. The Virginia Military Institute and Washington and Lee are also in town right next to each other. The campuses are beautiful if not very different. Think big castle for VMI -- W&L bricks and ivy.

I know you said no to museums but both Lee and Stonewall Jackson are buried there and the VMI chapel is worth a visit for the museum as well as the huge painting of the cadets at the Battle of New Market. If you are visiting during late August, the Corps of Cadets may be back so you may be able to catch a parade. There is a lot of lodging in the area due to the Colleges and a lot of great places to eat. I want to say Charlottesville is an hour and change or so away but it has been a while since I was down that way.

I would also recommend taking Route 29 if possible for some of the trip. There are a lot of wineries along it and the scenery is great as well.

Have a great trip!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    White water rafting/trout fishing
  • CaddieMay
    Options
    Great ideas, people! Keep 'em coming!
  • JGonzo82
    JGonzo82 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    try ACE whitewater/adventure resort

edited to say: whitewater rafting, kayaking, rock climbing/rappelling, zip lines, mountain biking, horseback riding, etc etc etc
  • Ldrogers85
    Ldrogers85 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I used to live in Staunton, Va., which is right off the interstate on the bottom tip of the shenandoah valley. It's an amazing little town with beautiful architecture, great restaurants, lots of fun local shopping, home of the American Shakespeare Center and the only recreation of his indoor theater, and all kinds of other amazing entertainment. I live about an hour and a half from there now and my fiance and I still go there all the time to enjoy this little gem of a town and always take visitors there.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have a blog about hiking/traveling the Blue Ridge. It's mostly trail reviews, but I always mention restaurants, lodging, and other things to see/do.

Some do not miss spots in Virginia - Crabtree Falls, the Rapidan Camp, Mt. Rogers, river float out of Waynesboro, Luray Caverns.

In West Virginia - Canaan Valley, Dolly Sods, Seneca Rocks.

ETA - and here's a link to my blog: http://virginiatrailguide.com/
  • Ldrogers85
    Ldrogers85 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The best outdoorsing and swimming holes are up Goshen Pass outside of Lexington in the national forests
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    I agree with suggestions about checking out the various caverns in the area. There are several. Lurray is beautiful.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I'm origianlly from WV. If you can make it, go to Grand View National Park, it's amazing. If you and your family are up to it while you're at Grand View, climb the Stairway to Heaven, best view you will ever get.

If you're going farther north in WV, swing by Point Pleasant and check out the Mothman legends. It's a tiny town with a very interesting history and the Mothman statue is something everyone should see.

If you're wanting white water, nothing is better than the New River Gorge.

Have fun!! I so miss it there!
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    Smith Mountain Lake State Park has cabins and is not far off the Blue Ridge Parkway. Great kayaking on this lake, especially up the Blackwater River toward Roanoke. Check out the tiny town of Floyd. Depending on when you come through, you may hit their amazing music festival. Regardless, the town also has a little general store that turns into a fantastic blue grass music and dance hall. Typically it starts with a pot luck dinner. Some cute artisan shops too, but basically real and true Appalachian living. Peaks of Otter are the highest in the area and there is a bus that will take you very nearly to the top. Wonderful views, but check the weather for clear skies.
  • CaddieMay
    Options
    You guys are the best! These are amazing ideas and places to see! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
  • misslindseylou
    misslindseylou Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Blennerhassett Island, Cass Railroad, The Hawk's Nest, the New River Gorge...the New River Gorge area has the best white water rafting and lots of outdoor adventure things to go do there!