Exercising for Asthmatics?

Options
I haven't tried to lose weight since I found out I had asthma while pregnant.
Any recommendations or tips for getting the best out of an exercise/workout without having my puffer glued to my mouth?

Thanks,
Melissa

Replies

• Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I had asthma when I was little (second grade or so) but it hasn't really been a problem for me personally. I do notice that no matter the physical shape I'm in, I will ALWAYS breathe excessively heavy, however. Even just a brisk walk can leave me somewhat short of breath, and it's almost always been that way. Even when I ran 3 miles every morning for a couple months the breathing was always a struggle. Even though it was steady, it was always heavy mouth breathing for me.

Sorry I couldn't help more. :ohwell:
  • akaiookami
    akaiookami Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I only have ever had asthma issues while exerting myself. My issues were originally caused by lung scarring from repeated illnesses as a child, so your asthma may be entirely different.

When I decided that I wanted to start running and doing general aerobic exercises, I started by using my inhaler before my workout with the goal of prevention. This was recommended to me by my physician. (you should probably ask your physician as well!)

What I found helped me MORE, however, was setting up a breathing rhythm. Depending on how much I exerted myself, I'd breathe "In In In, Out Out" varying the number to suit my needs. I didn't actually breathe in our out separately three times, but made the inhale and exhale last for that many counts. Eg: while running I would breathe in for 3 or 4 footsteps and then out for 2 or 3.
    When this became too difficult and I felt I couldn't last the full count, I knew it was time to slow down until I was back under control. I no longer have to use an inhaler after using this method to really get a good feel for my body's limits. I monitor myself & act accordingly.

Even more effective though... strength training. Never had an issue with it as far as my lungs go and it has made a huge difference in my weight loss and fitness level.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Can you give more details about your asthma? Like, do you know what your triggers are? Can you avoid them? If outdoor pollens set you off, workout inside, etc.

I have asthma. Mine is not triggered by exercise, so I don't have much to offer if that's your trigger.

I'd say look into breathing exercises, always warm up before exercise, take breaks while exercising as needed, and work on building up your lung capacity/endurance. If you have underlying things that set off your asthma, like common allergies, consider being on a daily allergy medication.
  • absurd581
    absurd581 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Not sure what your triggers are (whether it's just working out, allergies, temperature etc.). I have asthma that is triggered by outdoor allergies during certain times of year. So when I started c25k and running outside I had some trouble. My doctor told me I could take a preventative puff of my inhaler a few minutes before heading outside for a run. It's definitely helped me and since I started doing that I haven't had too much trouble. You should probably talk to your doctor to see if he/she can give you any suggestions.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Not sure what your triggers are (whether it's just working out, allergies, temperature etc.). I have asthma that is triggered by outdoor allergies during certain times of year. So when I started c25k and running outside I had some trouble. My doctor told me I could take a preventative puff of my inhaler a few minutes before heading outside for a run. It's definitely helped me and since I started doing that I haven't had too much trouble. You should probably talk to your doctor to see if he/she can give you any suggestions.

^this is what I was going to say. I know an athlete who works out hard about 20 hours a week and she uses her preventative inhaler when she has a cold, when the air quality is poor, or when she has had an episode that week. It hasn't held her back one bit.
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    The main thinf is to have your asthma under control in general. Do a google search and take one of the online tests. If your asthma is not under control, see your dr. Of course the main thing is to avoid your triggers, ie pollen cold air, etc. you want to get a peak flow meter to monitor how you are doing. Taking your rescue inhaler 30 min prior to your workout may also be helpful.
    Mike