loose skin

Options
Ive just hit the 50lb mark weight loss, in about 15 weeks, while im happy with the weight loss, i have started to notice loose skin and i still have another 26lb to loose, i started at 265 lbs and my target is 189 lbs so a total loss of 76lbs. Im starting to really worry about the extra skin, what can i do about this, please help me,

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Time will help. After about a year, I didn't have *much* extra skin left (just a little under my arms and at my knees -- of all places). You're young, it should contract eventually. If you add muscle once the fat is gone, some of the skin will tighten up due to the new bulk in other areas.

That being said, I hear it recommended to moisturize your skin and drink water.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    There really isn't a quick fix to this one. Skin recovery itself is hampered by the deficit that is causing your weight loss. As any other repair/construction processes are. And even at maintenance+ It can take skin a year or two to improve. And may never completely snap back. I'm noticing it quite a bit too around the underside of my bum and inner thighs. From what I hear in MOST people there is at least significant improvement within a year or two after weight loss. Genetics and age and quality of diet play a big part in it however.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Start doing strength training if you aren't already, it will help a LOT but it won't happen overnight so you'll need to practice patience. Make sure you're getting your sleep, drinking plenty of water, protein and fresh fruits and veggies. It also helps to moisturize using lotion with collogen and vitamin E.
  • Dvansanten
    Options
    Mine is starting mostly only my stomach and my so called man boobs
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help you -- I do still have some loose skin. But I have gone from HW 307 to my MFP SW 262, and now at 177 lb.

I can honestly say that along the way around 215-240 lb was the WORST time for loose skin, I was really concerned. My neck was disturbingly loose looking and I just felt like I was going to look gruesome if I got to 180-200. I didn't!

Once I got to 199 it really improved in some areas, especially my lower belly and thighs. Even my arms improved a little bit although they're still my worst area. What people say about our bodies needing a little time to "catch up" is true, in my experience. In fact, I expect even at age 37 for my loose skin to improve more even in the next couple of years as I lose a bit more and maintain.

For reference, I was always 230+ lb from ages 17-36. And even with some loose skin on my arms and upper abdomen I am a lot happier now with my body overall :-)
  • good_girl_n
    Options
    I have heard kettle bell swings and planks work well. I would like to know more lifting ideas with free weights. Anyone have ideas? More so to tone the core or tummy area? Lotion is good to use as well. Nivea makes some good kinds.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I suspect you're just losing weight too quickly for your skin to keep up. Dial back your loss rate, and take it more easily, as 3.33 lbs a week is quite high. Drinking a decent quantity of water, good cleansing, and a high strength vitamin e cream may help also, but this is more general advise rather than specifically for loose skin.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Mine is starting mostly only my stomach and my so called man boobs

Time. And once you've lost weight, bulk up your shoulders and chest. After a year, you should be fine. I know you feel like a mess right now. And it's tough. Anyone that cares about you should understand that you're doing this for your health, and you'll look AMAZING in a year or two. Ok?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I'm losing 3.63 pounds per week, 44 pounds so far, and don't have any loose skin (again, so far). I doubt it's purely about rate of loss.

I'm not sure that something like this can be generalized. The results seem quite variable.

The most common suggestions seem to be drinking water, using moisturizer, weights, being patient, and hoping for the best.
  • tracy7d
    tracy7d Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Is it slower when you get older,I'm 44 and concerned about this?
  • good_girl_n
    Options
    What type of weights will benefit us the best? I have lost and want to tone my tummy as well.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Oh - from the title I thought someone wanted to "lose" their skin. My bad........:devil:
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Hang in there man, you may have some loose skin at the end but there are things you can along with your weight loss to help with the overall appearance of it.

I'm down a bit over 60lbs from my start. Along with losing I had a mix of strength AND hypertrophy training to help keep things tight. It takes a bit of searching to figure out where you need the work. It won't be an overnight fix like surgery or have the results of a good deal of time but there are things you can do to help the appearance.

Like for example "moobs" you combat the appearance of moobs by building up your shoulders and upper chest more with things like overhead presses and incline bench. Throw in some cable crossovers to help build out the inner chest. Then look at how the body is layed out and you will find you have muscle connection under those man tits to some of your back muscles so throw in some bent over rows. Strength training is great but for saggy skin appearance you want to aim for lots of hypertrophy training to get some size in those muscles to reduce the saggy appearance.

Good luck to ya and keep researching.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It may or may not be loose skin, that will be obvious once you are at a lower body fat. At some point in my weight loss my sides looked like a loosely hanging pouch of something. I was ready to accept that I would have loose skin there, but a few more pounds took care of it. Now my sides look great! I now have a distinct hourglass figure. It wasn't loose skin, it was just fat cells getting deflated creating that jiggly loose look. Save for stretch marks, you could never tell I used to have visibly hanging fat around that area in the past.

Now the bad news is, boobs and lower belly more often than not do get loose skin. Don't expect your boobs to retain their previous shape. Let's hope you're genetically lucky not to hop on that train, but even if you do, you will still look and feel better than before, and it does tend to improve a bit with years, though it may not go away completely.