Miracle Noodles ?????

Options
So, I saw something called Miracle Noodles online the other day. It's a brand of supposedly ultra low-carb, low calorie pastas. Has anyone ever tried this before?? If so, what did you think? They don't sell in stores anywhere near me, so I'd have to order online (about $50 for a pack of 10.) If there's a way I can make a South Beach-friendly mac and cheese, I'm game!

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think they have an off putting stench and are packed in some sort of unappetizing gelatinous goo. I'd rather eat a smaller portion of real pasta than a gelatinous smelly noodle.
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    They do smell fishy and you need to rinse them thoroughly. They are derived from a yam and are super low calorie.
    They may be shaped like noodles, but taste and texture-wise, they are nothing at all like noodles. I tried them a couple of times but they did nothing to satiate me. I've yet to find anyone who actually likes them, so I'd save your money.
  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Zero calorie pasta is not very tasty, and does not have a good texture. If you're dead-set on trying it, I'd encourage you to look at the Tofu Shirataki noodles instead (10-15 calories per serving), then after cooking with them, leave them overnight to soak up the flavors.
  • ANNAvsANNA
    ANNAvsANNA Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    YUCK! Thanks, everyone....i definitely won't be ordering any of this stuff. I'll just use the whole grain/high protein pasta :wink:
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    They are "zero calorie" because they are undigestible. Literally. If you don't chew them thoroughly they can, ahem... come out the other end intact.

A co-worker let me try some of hers once - I couldn't get over the texture. They looked like noodles, they had no taste but the texture was just off. Can't explain it.

If you are looking for a pasta substitute, check out the Spiralizer. It spiral cuts a zucchini or other squash into noodle shapes. Still not pasta (sometimes I just want my noodles, dammit), but zucchini noodles with all different kinds of sauces on them are pretty yummy in my book...
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    They look nasty!

I make zucchini noodles/pasta with a julienne peeler - low carb and nutritious!
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Whoa, that sounds scary. Fit the carbs/cals for reg or whole wheat pasta into your daily numbers, or have some spaghetti squash.
  • ANNAvsANNA
    ANNAvsANNA Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'd seen people using spaghetti squash in place of pasta, so I tried it once. It didn't work for me.....lol:noway: The taste....i was like "i'm eating squash with tomato sauce....gross" :)
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    There's nothing scary about them; they're just made from a yam that we can't digest. Lots of people (including me) like them in particular preparations. If you're still curious, here's the thread that taught me how to use them well.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/667310-let-s-talk-about-shirataki-noodles-the-continuation